1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing a broken HR24 w/ another HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jumpman23j, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jumpman23j

jumpman23j Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    HR24 seems to be going on south on me so how can I ensure I get another HR24 as I've only had it for like 6 months instead of an older clunky model?

2. Singe0255

Singe0255 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2011
    If you have the Protection Plan Premier, there is an option to have HR24 IRDs repaired rather than replaced. This also helps prevent lost recordings.

3. jumpman23j

jumpman23j Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I don't have the protection plan. I just figure if I've had my HR24 for only 6 months and it's acting up than I should be given another HR24 and not a much older model. I've heard people on this forum say that HR24's are replaced with other HR24's, is this true? Even if I don't have the protection plan? Thanks.

4. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    You will get another HR24. This is *now* policy. A 24 gets replaced with a 24. (assuming your receiver needs to be replaced...if you upgrade, you can get anything, but an equipment replacment will get you an HR24)

5. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Not to get your hopes up but "most" receivers are replaced with the same model. "Most" only means at least 51%, but it's generally higher.

6. jumpman23j

jumpman23j Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Is this for sure, like 100%? I haven't really heard much about it, i guess if you could point out where you heard it would be great. I just don't want to be sent an older dvr in the mail and have to go through the hassel of complaining with Directv and sending it back. My HR24 just keeps turning on by itself, bring the guide up and changing resolution intermittently.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Did you try a piece of black tape over the IR receiver window?

8. jumpman23j

jumpman23j Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Hmm not yet, is this a common problem? And do I just leave the tape on there all the time?

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It could determine if the HR is picking up stray unwanted signals causing your problems.

10. Jacob Braun

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    This is now policy for the 24s (and 25s, since both receivers have specific requirements). At least for the past few weeks, if you do an equipment replacement.

For upgrades you can get anything of course.

For a 24 also make sure the front isn't dusty/dirty (sensitive touch panel).

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Good, because even about a month ago, someone here got a 24 replaced and received an older model.

12. Jacob Braun

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep that is not going to happen any more (although it was exceedingly rare to begin with).

13. jumpman23j

jumpman23j Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I cleaned off the front panel as it was full of dust and some dog hair and hadn't experienced any of the same issues until about an hour ago. So, I cleaned it off again as I noticed a dog hair on the front. The front panel must be really sensitive so I guess I gotta make sure it's clean everyday.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Or get a different dog. :D

But I wouldn't think one dog hair would be the cause of your problem.

I've had two HR24s replaced in the last year. Both times I was told by the CSRs that it was policy that I would get another HR24.

And both times I did receive another HR24 (although both were refurbished units).

Good luck.

15. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    At least the refurbished units are tested before they are sent out. That is not the case with new units. The chance of getting a bad new unit is actually higher than the chance of getting a bad refurbished unit.