Replacing an old SD receiver with an HR24 reciever but cannot get sat signal continuously

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tom2448, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Tom2448

Tom2448 New Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Hi,
    Due to a Directv change that caused me to lose the local channels on my SD receivers, I have had to upgrade to H24HD receivers to get locals again. I am having a problem getting the new receiver set up completed due to signal loss. I have dialed the dish in for 101 and 99 ca but cannot get signal for 99 cb or 103 ca or cb. I have a slimline with 5lnb that has 4 lines coming out of the LNB. Two lines run directly to two receivers, it is an old set up. The setup is for SL5LNB with mulitswitch. I get high 90's for signal on all 101 and low 80s on all 99 ca. I noticed when trying to dial in the signal strength that the signal keeps going out and coming back in. Anybody have any suggestions on what might be causing this? It has been a long time since I set one of these up and I am probably missing something.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Welcome
    Welcome to the Forum.

Did they send you a BBC ( Broad Band Converter ) for each receiver ?
    This goes on each coax just before it gets to the receiver and then it connects to the receiver.
    If you had a SL5LNB SWM LND you would not need the BBCs.
    Did you have to also upgrade to HD programming ?

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    They never seem to include the BBC in the box like they use to. I had to buy them off eBay the last time.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would anyone want to stay with a legacy setup? You can buy a SWM LNB + splitter for almost nothing, or have Directv out on any sort of call and they'll do the upgrade for free.

P Smith likes this.
  5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suggest you make the call for a service visit

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Both systems have advantages and disadvantages.
    The advantage I find wth the multi switch is that the channels change quicker. Also a lot less quirky things happen with the MS.