Replacing HR-34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by demisod, Dec 28, 2018.

1. demisod

demisod AllStar

Aug 5, 2005
    My main directv receiver is an HR-34 that is connected to my primary tv and supports a C-31 genie client in my bedroom. I also have older HR-23 and HR-21 receivers at a couple of other televisions in my house. All the receivers are internet connected and whole-house works. The HR-34 has been painfully slow for a while and recordings are starting to shutter/freeze/pixelate badly at times. There are also problems with the genie client in the bedroom taking a long time to come on. I am guessing the hard drive on the HR-34 is showing its age. I would like to replace the HR-34 with an HR-54 but directv will only give me a free upgrade to an HS17. That concerns me a bit. I gather I would need to scrap my older receivers and use four genie clients for the televisions. Given the problems with the current genie client, I am worried I might have issues with my main tv. In addition, I am pretty sure I would prefer a wired connection to the client, and I don't know if newer genie clients support that. The HR-34 is currently in an entertainment cabinet that doesn't have the height for a tower. I am guessing that isn't a big issue because I assume the server could be anywhere in the house.

Is there a consensus on response time/stability of the HS17 and its clients compared to the HR-54? I could simply pay for an HR-54. I am assuming such a swap wouldn't involve much more that swapping out the receivers using the same connections and calling directv to activate the receiver and deactivate the old one. Is that true?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would go for the HS17 and four clients (one for each TV location) to replace all of your existing equipment. Main downside, you will lose all recordings on all of your DVRs. If you can't handle that, then change the HS34 for an HR54, keep the HR23 and HR21, and get a newer client for your bedroom. But if you can tolerate losing recordings on the two older HRs, then go with the HS17.

3. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Don’t try to get an upgrade, just call and say Hello DirecTV, my HR34 is dead and won’t power on. I’ve tried plugging it into a different power outlet and tried swapping the power cord with the cord from my HR-23.
    They will most likely send you an HR-44. Without the protection plan, it should cost you $20 for shipping.

Rich, studechip and jimmie57 like this.
  4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

Suggest you Follow GETTEAU -advice

Don’t try to get an upgrade, just call and say Hello DirecTV, my HR34 is dead and won’t power on. I’ve tried plugging it into a different power outlet and tried swapping the power cord with the cord from my HR-23.
    They will most likely send you an HR-44. Without the protection plan, it should cost you $20 for shipping.

It will be a lot less painful for you --let us know how you make out

Rich likes this.
  5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Agreed. I can't recommend the HS17 Genie Server. Still too buggy.

Rich likes this.
  6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Honestly there no less or more bugs with a HS17 than a HR54 or 44

7. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I've had an HS17 for almost a year and a half with two 4K clients and 2 wireless clients. No more issues with that than any of the other equipment I've had over the last eleven years as a DTV customer.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Then you must not recommend any DIRECTV Equipment today. The hs17 is miles better than an HR34 even if it has the same bugs as a hr54 and hr44.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I wouldn’t. I love the HS17 concept but call it underpowered or really bad coded software but it is slow as hell compared to other companies

I am leaning towards poor software since the CPU in a C61-500 is twice as fast as original Tivo mini yet the mini runs circles around it

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  10. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    No way would I ever go with an HR17.
    That’s putting all your eggs in one basket. I have had too many HDs die, I want at least one independently made backup for all my important series.

Rich and studechip like this.
  11. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. I don't recommend the HR34, either. In fact, they should all be destroyed :)
    But I still can't recommend the HS17 vs. the HR44/HR54. I see WAY more posts with HS17 issues at the DirecTV/AT&T Forum than I see HR44/54 issues.

Rich likes this.
  12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    While I personally have been using an HS17 without problem for quite some time, litzdog911 is perhaps the most experienced and knowledgeable resource I've known with regard to DirecTV equipment and systems. He is active on the AT&T forums, which I am not, and brings a wealth of knowledge and experience. I don't think you would go wrong with an HS17, but you would be well advised to consider his input as well.

Rich likes this.
  13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The HS17 issue is lack of HDMI output direct to TV. So if you have a client and you don't get a picture, the poor consumer has to figure out if it's the client or the server. Reboot this, try that. Reboot the HS17 which isn't always convenient.

That' extra level of complexity is not user friendly and if there is ever a HS27 or whatever, I hope there's an HDMI output on it.

And now there's the LCC Directv web pages which don't even mention the HS17.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Poor consumer's guide for trying to fix Directv "no picture" issues - old system:

1) restart receiver
    2) unplug / plug in power inserter

Poor consumer's guide for trying to fix Directv "no picture" issues - new system:

1) restart client
    2) restart server

I don't see how this is any more difficult, it is two whole steps either way, with one step possibly requiring you to go elsewhere in the house (the horror! :eek:)

compnurd likes this.
  15. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Why are the people that don't have an HS17 the only ones advising against it?

If you go by the complaints about ANYTHING on this forum or any other, you'd conclude that every product by every company is garbage. Nothing is perfect but I'm quite pleased with the HS17 and the C61K clients and that's coming from an 11-year customer.

compnurd and jimmie57 like this.
  16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I agree I have a HS-17 with 6 clients and have had zero hardware issues.. Nothing more or less than i did with a HR54/44

17. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Does the HS-17 support an external hard drive? I downloaded the manual from Solid Signal and it says that the storage is expandable, and in one place says there is a esata port, but the pictures do not show one. Does it support an external USB 3 drive?

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well said!

Rich

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If the manual says it supports eSATA it must have a SATA port. We would have heard about an external USB-3 function.

Rich

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go to this link and scroll down until you get to a pic of the back of the unit.
    http://iamanedgecutter.com/docs/HS17_Genie2_Edgecutter_Review.pdf