1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing HR21-100 w/ HR34 - Options for offloading content from HR21?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by toneil44, Feb 27, 2012.

1. toneil44

toneil44 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    The HR34 will be here in a few days. I want to immediately replace the HR21 w/ the HR34 because of its five tuners, PIP, much larger hard drive, etc. I'm already having some programs not recorded because of the two tuner limitation in the HR21. Currently have and will continue to have one DVR so a backup DVR is not in the cards.

There's no way I can watch all the existing content (90% full) on the HR21, plus new programs being added every day before sending it back to D*.

I need to do a one time offload of content from the HR21 and store on a temporary basis. Additionally, now that I've looked at the issue, the idea of regularly archiving some of what I consider to be the more important programs from the new HR34 to a more permanent medium seems intriguing.

I've spent several hours on this forum and the internet researching how to do just that: (Please comment on my comments and let me know what other options are available. Make your comments as detailed as possible. Consider my level of expertise to be barely computer literate).

DVD Recorder - Fairly inexpensive. Easy to use. Low quality 480 SD. Can edit w/ more expensive models.

Blu-ray Recorder, Stand Alone - Very expensive. Easy to use. HD quality. Can edit. Looks like compatible only w/ camcorder, SLR camera w/ video capability, etc. Doesn't look like this will work w/ a DVR or copy protected content.

Blu-ray Burner, in a PC - Inexpensive to moderate. Don't know how this works. Mike Bertelson and harsh in this forum claim this will offload DVR content to a 25 GB Blu-ray disc. Not sure if this is SD or HD quality. I'm confused that this method will offload DVR content and store on a Blu-ray disc but a stand alone Blu-ray recorder won't. Got the feeling I'm missing something here.

Hauppauge PVR - Fairly inexpensive. Can be difficult to use. Needs a PC. Not sure if can use to offload DVR content or if just for newly recorded content. HD to near HD quality. Uses component video connections so gets around copy protection considerations.

Video Capture Devices - This is really getting above my pay grade. I believe this applies to things like video cards in a PC. The rest of the comments on the Hauppauge PVR applies here.

Nomad - Not a storage device. Transfers DVR content to portable devices, IPad, smartphones, etc.

My Home Theater TV is Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD. It's got good video processing circuitry but there's only so much you can do w/ poor quality video.

I'm very interested in getting everybody's comments. For what I know now, I would go for either a DVD Recorder w/ flex recording, editing function and built-in hard drive (can I transfer content from this hard drive to a much larger one in a PC for example)? or learn to use the Hauppauge PVR (as long as it can offload DVR content).

Thanks.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Whatever option you choose, you have to record in real time, you cannot just dump content.

The Haupage allows you to record whatever is playing at the time on the DVR, simply start playback on the DVR andclick record in the Haupage software on the computer. I have one and it works fine.

3. Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™ AllStar

Mar 29, 2006
    I have the Hauppauge PVR (with a Mac - it doesn't require a PC btw) and was disappointed with the quality of the recordings I made with it when playing back HD content from my HR21-200 over Component. YMMV.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When I got mine a few weeks ago my intention was to use it on my Mac but I've since changed my mind. Not only is the video quality a little better when recording on a PC, Macs won't do 5.1 DD Audio.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You could simply keep your HR21 active on your account for a while until you've watched the shows that you care about. Then call DirecTV to deactivate it.

6. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    If you decide to keep the HR21 active until you watch the shows on it, you should be aware that the tech may want to take the HR21 if the work order says to replace the receiver. If you are simply adding a receiver, then you would be able to keep the HR21.

7. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    When I ordered the HR34 to replace an HR20, the Tech did not want it. I had to call D that night to deactivate the HR20 & they sent me a return box.

8. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    If you are considering options that will cost you money, you might be better off just keeping your HR21, at least until you can watch all of the recordings. It will only cost you a few bucks a month, and once you are done watching, you can send it back to D* and your additional fee will end.
    If you "add" the HR34, the tech will install and provide the splitters and everything else that's needed.

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    DVD Recorder - Same resolution as store bought DVDs.

Blu-ray Burner, in a PC - requires a good PC and a Capture device such as the HD-PVR. Then the capture has to be edited and converted and burned.

Hauppauge PVR - A capture device that can capture up to 1080i to a computer. Then you need to edit and burn to disc. BluRay Burner for HD quality. No storage in the HD-PVR despite the name, it uses the computer hard drive, approx 12 GBs for a 2 hour movie.

The last of the easy availability DVD recorder from Magnavox the 513 & the 515 seems to be disappearing from the market. Whether or not there is a replacement coming is unknown. Plus prices are going up.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR-513H-F7-320GB-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder/14291489 - In Stock

Out of stock - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR515H-F7-500GB-HDD-and-DVD-R-with-Digital-Tuner/15080509

No easy way to transfer to computer except by burning to a DVD.

All content transfers in real time.

A 2 hour movie will take two hours to transfer, longer to edit and author & burn.

so 100 hours of video, well you begin to get the picture.

Advantage Dishnetwork in this scenario, you could have transferred to a external hard drive and plugged it into the new DVR and accessed from there. Note it is copy protected so it has to be played from there.

Advantage DirecTV Whole home for a while, Dishes isn't out yet. Advantage HR34 5 tuners. already out.