replacing internal drive in hr54

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zcarguy, Oct 11, 2019.

1. zcarguy

zcarguy Mentor

Oct 18, 2005
    So I am running an hr54-500 with an external 2tb drive. Would prefer to install the drive internally. Saw a video on youtube and it looks fairly straight forward. Its a leased unit like most here. Almost 2 years old. I know opening the hr54 is against the tos. Just wondering if there any tamper seals I might encounter like the HR2X's had. Thanks

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It is pretty straight forward. You do realize you won't see any difference in performance in HDDs mounted externally or internally? Personally, I prefer to mount the HDDs internally but I own (I know, I just refuse to believe ATT can just take that status away) all my HRs. I do have a 3TB drive mounted internally in my 44 and I don't remember a security seal being on the 44. If that helps. If you're looking to improve the performance of your 54 you might want to take a look at the thread I linked to in my Signature below this post. You can make that 54 work better than it ever did.

Rich

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Just curious, when you take a drive that has been mounted externally and move it to an internal mount, does the DVR wipe the drive clean, or are the recordings preserved?

Also, given the reliability of external eSATA enclosures, what is the incentive to go to the trouble of mounting the drive internally?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    not yet discovered

5. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    It’s been discovered, and everything is preserved since it’s already been formatted on a DTV DVR. Recordings show up fine. You could even dump it into another DVR and recordings will show up, but you won’t be able to play them due to the different RID number (except OTA recordings).

Regarding internal vs. external mounting...there's not really any incentive, except to blow out the dust inside the unit, and clean the fan once in a while. There was no security tag on my HR54-500. I’ve been in and out of there several times. Even if you had multiple IRD's and removed every security tag and sent them all back to AT&T, they won't do anything to you.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I used to put all my HDDs inside my HRs. For several reasons. One of those reasons is I don't like the way HDDs and my docks get along initially. Once you have them running they aren't problematic. The problems I've had were mostly related to getting them to work in the first place. That's with HDDs. I've no problems at all getting my HRs to recognize the docks with SSDs in them. Simply put, I think HDDs should be mounted internally and SSDs should be mounted externally. Just my opinion.

Rich

codespy likes this.
  7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed. I've been sending bad boxes back for years without those security tags and have not had one problem.

Rich

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    may be HR54R1 have it ...

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    What??

10. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    It doesn't matter, whatever model number you are referring to (never heard of a HR54R1).

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    THAT RELEASE [R2?] OF NEW hr54 WHAT DOESN'T HAVE eSATA PORT

12. WestieLvr

WestieLvr New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Campton...
    That is my problem as well. I stupidly bought a Fantom Drive, returned that, then I still didn't learn my lesson and bought a DVR Daddy! So what should I buy that is an external drive that works with a USB 3.0 port? I am a newbie to all this but have worked in tech for over a decade (no guys I am not a blonde, just never needed the higher capacity.)

By the way, Codespy, Packer fans never apologize, especially not to Bear fans.

Thanks,
    Jeanne

codespy likes this.
  13. WestieLvr

WestieLvr New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Campton...
    How did you get it recognized?

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I haven't seen reports here.. no one try use external USB 3.0 enclosure with HDD.
    You'll be first - post your result here.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Answered your questions in another thread. You can't use an eSATA setup on a 54 without a SATA port.

Rich