1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing single LNB with triple LNB???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DanD, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DanD

DanD New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I have couple of questions I hope you guys can answer for me. I am going to be replacing the 18” single LNB round dish I currently have with a Phase III, 3LNB dish.

Will I be able to just drop the new dish on the pole and bracket that is mounted on the side of the house that the current dish is on? Or do I have to start from scratch?

I am assuming that I will be pointing the new dish in the same place as the old dish since I am NOT upgrading to HD. This is just for standard definition TV.

I currently have only one receiver a Direct TV w/ Tivo standard definition DVR and only have one cable going from the dish to the receiver and I would like to add the second cable so that we can watch one show and record another. I would also like to add a second receiver SD to anther room in the house. This is the reason for the upgrade to the new dish.

Will the Phase III dish be just as easy to find the signal as the 18” dish I have now?

If anybody has any pointers I’m all ears.

Thanks

Dan

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I know the Phase III uses a 1 5/8" pole and "I think" the single LNB dish does also.
    They don't point to the same place. the single points to the 101 and the 3 LNB points to 110, so you'll need to move it west ~ 9 degrees.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    if its the dish I'm thinking of I did this few years ago, the phase 3 was larger and I could not use the original 18 mount without severely bending it.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Honestly, you'd be better off using a 3x4 or 4x8 switch instead of a phase III dish.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As RobertE noted, assuming you have a "dual" LNB (single LNB housing, but two coax connectors on it), you simply run a second coax from the dish, connect both coax to the inputs of a 2x4 or 2x8 multiswitch, then connect all your tuners to the multiswitch.

If your dish only has one coax connector on it (a true "single" LNB), then you can either (a) replace the LNB assembly itself (easiest option) then use a multiswitch, or replace the entire dish (as you plan to do).

Aligning the 3-LNB Phase III dish is more difficult than the round 18", but not that hard. Set the tilt and elevation for your location, make sure the mast is perpendicular (straight up and down, plumb in all directions), then aim the dish for the 110 orbital slot and adjust slowly to find/peak the signal. You really only need to peak the 101 satellite, and you can set your receivers to the 18" round dish in satellite setup.

6. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    +1 - it's MUCH easier to do this, save yourself a bunch of grief... :nono2:

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Have you tried calling DIRECTV for installation? If you're a good customer, adding a new receiver often comes with inexpensive or free installation. And they supply all the good stuff you need. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Both 18" basic and Multisat aka SatC use exactly the same pipe and have done so since the beginning. Maybe the original pipe was bent by the 18" dish/

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Close, but not quite... The multisat dish's mast is a couple of inches longer, so that if the mast is wall-mounted, there is more room for the reflector before it will hit the wall. The multisat mast also has the ability to tilt, as it is more critical that the mast is plumb than with a round dish.

Minor differences to be sure.

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You're 100% right, but the OD is still the same.

11. DanD

DanD New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    First of all Thanks everybody for your input!

A switch was my first thought, but when I started looking for a dish to use for our Travel Trailer I came cross a real good price for a Phase III and jumped on it.

I have only dialed in the 18" round dishes in the past and am looking for any advice or helpful hints on getting the Phase III up and running.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Aligning the 3-LNB Phase III dish is more difficult than the round 18", but not that hard. Set the tilt and elevation for your location, make sure the mast is perpendicular (straight up and down, plumb in all directions), then aim the dish for the 110 orbital slot and adjust slowly to find/peak the signal. You really only need to peak the 101 satellite, but that is a little tricky because the dish is picking 101 up off one side of the aiming point, so the tilt/skew is important.

You can set your receivers to the 18" round dish in satellite setup for operation (but don't use the az/el/tilt indicated for that dish).

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    then I was probably thinking of wrong dish type.

14. DanD

DanD New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I just wanted to give an update. Install went very smooth.

I decided on taking down all the old hardware and putting up the new brackes and mounting pole. Set the tilt and elevation on the new dish ahead of time to the numbers on the dish. Set the dish on the pole and swung it to around 150 degrees and had a signal right away. Fine tuned 101 & 119 and was all done in a less that two hours.

Thanks for everybodys input.