1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request DMA Change?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cookte, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookte

cookte New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I am in Lincoln County, Montana (NW corner) and I am in the Spokane, WA DMA. I think the Missoula DMA would be more applicable to my area wrt sports, politics, etc. Also, Montana is on mountain time while Spokane is on pacific. Due to prime time and time zone changes, everything is 2 hours late on local channels. Any suggestions on requesting for a DMA change?

Any information is appreciated!!

2. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Call your local congressman!! You need a law changed!! Or "move" to an emptylot in the dma you desire

3. cookte

cookte New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I tried the moving thing and selected an address one county over, but they said I needed a SuperDish. I currently have the Dish 500.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    To move a county to another DMA you have tp convince your neighbors and businesses in the county to stop doing business with Spokane and start doing business with the city you think your county should be in. Nielsen bases their county DMA assignments on which channels the county population is most likely to watch; where mosr people in the county do business and where the local companies do business.

Goo luck!

See ya
    Tony

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    :welcome_s cookte
    If you want locals from that market you are going to need the dish required to receive those locals. And unless you happen to BE at your service address when E* comes to install your dish you are going to have to get and install your own SuperDish and switch and replace it IF E* ever moves those locals to 129.

There is always cost and gamble when you go outside the normal install.

TNGTony is correct on the only way to get your county actually IN that DMA.

JL

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Well, that's true, however you need one more thing to happen: all local cable systems have to carry Missoula stations and have enough viewers who get on Neilsen's survey to report that they are watching Missoula and not Spokane.

A county in PA recently switched from Youngstown to Pittsburgh despite being next door to Youngstown with grade A signals and local news coverage for their area (New Castle) covered in Youngstown. Evidently the "big city" stations are more "sexy" to these small towns. If it wasn't for cable the grade B signals from Pittsburgh would have lost out to the grade A signals of the smaller market stations.

7. marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005

not sure it is always business, sometimes politics, a few years ago the NFL had enough influence to get Yates county NY shifted from Rochester into Syracuse DMA, so that Syracuse stations could not carry Buffalo Bills if home gain not sold out. Only about 3 acres of Yates county fell within 75 miles of Buffalo stadium. Smells kind of fishy to me.

also in winter months I live in Polk co. Fl, I am in Tampa DMA, but only 20 miles from Orlando DMA. Largest employer in my county is Disney World. Western half of my county is close to Tampa, Eastern half is near Orlando. Seems the county should be split.

I know of one county in upstate NY that is split. Oneida county west is in Syracuse DMA, eastern half of county is in Utica DMA.

8. cookte

cookte New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I don't feel comfortable installing my own SuperDish, but I am comfortable with calling Nielson, etc. Adelphia provides cable here (cable is not avail in my neighborhood) and they offer the Missoula NBC feed (in addition to Spokane channels). I know that a Missoula CBS and Kalispell NBC signal (UHF) is broadcasted in Libby, but it is weak. Tomorrow, I am going to call Neilson and make a case, just to see what they say. I will post their response tomorrow. Again, thanks for the input!
    Tommy

9. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Always a conspirasy! It wasn't the NFL that made the switch, it was the viewers watching more NFL games from that market!

This happens more often than you might imagine. I know of three counties in the Cincinnati market that are that way with the Dayton market The line has to be drawn somewhere. No matter where the lines are drawn, some one will be squacking about fairness. So, with five or so exceptions, the lines are drawn at the county lines. And in all but one case the reason for the split county is geographical in nature (mountain range, valley or size).

Split counties I know off the top of my head:

Lea County, NM split between Albuquerque and Midland/Odessa
    Apache County, AZ split between Albuquerque and Phoenix
    Dorado County, CA split between Sacramento and Reno
    Kern(?) County, CA split between Bakersfield and Los Angeles. Bakersfield's entire market consists of this 1/2 county.
    Riverside County, CA split between Los Angles (east and west) and Palm Springs (Central). It used to be that the East was part of Phenix for a while.

See ya
    Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.