ReRuns recording as New

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fmcomputer, Apr 22, 2019.

1. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    Anyone else having this problem ? Very annoying

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Some series programmers like to make minor changes to previous programs, like editing in a few previously unseen scenes, and re-releasing them as "new". "Naked and Afraid" is just one glaring example. Yes, it is annoying, but there's little Dish can do about it.

3. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    yep, common practice for reality TV these days on either on Discovery owned networks or A&E owned networks.

4. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    It that darn EPG providers that root cause

5. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    If the program producers claim the episode is "new", how are the EPG providers supposed to know it's mostly a rerun?

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It would help if the TS would say what programs they're referring to. In addition to the shows NYDutch mentioned, there's other things where reruns would automatically be recorded, like news/political programs that don't get episode specific data so the late night reruns are recorded. Religious channels also have this issue since most of them just provide a schedule of shows like Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, James Robinson, Joseph Prince, etc and don't indicate the specific episode they're airing.

Some of it is also the network's fault for neglecting to send a schedule for reruns in a timely manner, like Seth is in reruns this week, and because of the holiday weekend NBC didn't send a schedule for those until yesterday, so if you had Seth set to first run, Monday night's rerun would have recorded.

There's also mistakes, like last night Disney Channel incorrectly put Friday's new episode of Sydney to the Max on the schedule they distributed instead of resetting the cycle with the first episode, so a rerun recorded for anyone who had a series recording of the show. They did send out an urgent change memo late this afternoon so Friday's airing will be flagged as new with the correct first run date, but it might be too late for it to propogate to the set tops.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    NYDutch likes this.
  7. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    It the nOOd's that enter in the show info into the data base that are not cross check the show info.
    Yes in some case you be right like on the Discovery Channel with there show one of with problem is Gold Rush on Friday 8:00PM to 10:00PM it should be two separate show Gold Rush: Parker's Trail, Gold Rush: Dave Turin's Lost Mine but ho no Discovery will get head out of it *** like last week it was rerun Parker's Trail but yet new Dave Turin's Lost Mine Awww man.
    For the longest time show like Building Off the Grid was impossible to record but thanks to SageTV Custom Scheduling Series by using * as a wildcard for example let start with Building Off the Grid you can't used it to record all the series because each show, show up as separate entry and they will have be add one at time but by using wildcard and have it searching for word [Building Off the Grid] then it will find all show, just another example on how badly the some 3rdparty EPG providers have been handle this.
    Just look at MacGyver (1985) vs MacGyver (2016) TV series talk a bloody ******* mess.
    Hell the Science channel is worst of the bunch
    Must root problem are causes be lack data info about the show so whine at Gracenote | A Nielsen Company they are one that are not fix it

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Dish switched to Rovi/Tivo for their guide data a few years ago.

9. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    I seriously doubt that a human is sitting there entering the data, nor would they have time to cross-check each entry against all previous entries. Even algorithms would likely have trouble identifying a "Naked & Afraid: Pop-Up Edition" episode for instance, as being exactly the same as a previous "Naked & Afraid" original episode, since technically they're not exactly the same.

10. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    I'm not on dish but I have seen enough goof error on other plateform

11. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    One person can easy cross-check each entry in a matter of few hour and still be at lease two/three days ahead when assign to one channel
    As Naked & Afraid: Pop-Up Edition I see without : then Show Name and Season Episode the problem is with Show ID do fall under Naked & Afraid Show ID EP1738995000? it a it EP02292811000? so there for it is own show that just modified as with Text ver of reg Naked & Afraid no diff then Forge and Fire vs Forge and Fire: Cutting Deeper with bonus scene and many repete spin off.
    Some problem may have to do with actual Show ID EP022928110000 that you don't see when should be EP022928110001 thru EP02292811???? = ???? (No. Over All Number of Show)

12. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    So one person checking 24 hours of programming times a couple of hundred channels? Just so a few dubious "New" errors don't get by? I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen...

13. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    NO I said (assign to one channel) as in one channel

14. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Yes, one person each channel times a couple of hundred channels, so a couple of hundred people just to check for bogus "New" listings. Yep, that makes sense...

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a jobs program. :)

NYDutch likes this.
  16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It would be tens of thousands of channels at this point. The listing providers handle much more than just the USA and North America. Both Tivo/Rovi and Gracenote/TMS provide data for much of Europe and Latin America too.

NYDutch likes this.
  17. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I would much prefer to have reruns record as new rather than have new not record as a rerun.

18. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    There not a couple hundred thousand channels if remove Movie PPV, On Demand, Sport PPV and Premiere (HBO, Showtime) channel as they don't count in last 15+ I don't I ever show any mess up EPG data on those channel so there not the problem child like the reg network broadcast such as Cartoon, Discovery, History, FYI, Science and few other Channel.

That wouldn't be a problem if save a data base history keep track of everything your recorded but oh no it only good 30day history.
    That one reasons why I keep SageTV as it help me track of everything

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Oh, we could find 200 channels that were not generated by the provider. Not all of them would be carried by DISH (or DIRECTV, or both). But there are a lot of national channels you would need to ignore to stay below 200.

And apparently you are not counting locals either. Plus DISH carries EPG for over a thousand local station subchannels. "A couple hundred" national channels is an easy target to reach when counting.

20. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    But James local fall under ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, FOX, mynetworkTV, PBS petty much air the same stuff all across USA other then Local/National News and few other odd ball channel even on diff time zone each market can be address easily, then are the sub channel are all ready part of the most of major network channels list like Comet, GetTV, GIRT, H&I, MeTV, Escape, TBD and so down line depend on the area you in own under Parent organization like Major Network like Sony, MGM the some under some Sister networks above even a few Private down to Joint Venture channel, I very rarely ever see any issues with them.
    Just like people don't know with LiveTV Steaming Service you know Hulu TV, Philo, DirecTV NOW, YouTube TV, Sony PSVue, Sling TV and so down line thru Schedule Direct EPG.