Restart Feature does not work

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rlm, Apr 9, 2017.

1. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    This is really annoying and stuff like this is why so many people are quitting Direct TV, and moving to Comcast.

My equipment is the Genie HR44 network with perfect internet connection 100 mbps. I can watch all streaming services in HD Netflix, VUDU without any issues.

However with DTV, I am really tired when restarting a program last night "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" and getting about 1/3 into the movie I get an internet error and the streaming stops. No way to restart without watching the entire movie again. So I purchased the movie off VUDU.

Direct TV should pay for it. DTV stuff is buggy and inconsistent. I am really tired of DTV unreliable technology especially internet streaming.

Why does this keep happening.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Same reason the Met's kept fielding lousy teams years ago. People kept filling the seats. Then they stopped going and management took note and put a competitive team on the field. We keep paying and complaining and as long as we keep paying they're not gonna fix what they should, I think.

Rich

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Personally if your intention is to go back as soon as you restart I'd go into the guide and hit record for the show so you could watch it recorded as soon as you catch up to where you where and skip the commercials.

The dang networks that don't allow fast forwarding for this feature are a pain in the...

Did you look to see if the program was on again? I personally prefer that anyway over restart.

I can't blame DIRECTV over your isp or anything else on this one. I have fantastic internet but every once in a while my Netflix will freeze up and I have to restart it. I believe your location from servers and all kinds of other things affect that.

That's not to say DIRECTV probably couldn't do a better job implementing picking up the program where it froze.

This is one reason I will have a hard time even really considering streaming only once sports I watch are available on streaming.

4. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Check your router. If it not a dual, when some else goes on the internet it may knock you off.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Huh? Care to explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    If you do not have a dual band router you share bandwidth with someone else this can cause problems also if you have a low band router I went from a 300 to a 1200 problem solve.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I never knew there was such a thing as a "low band" router.

Dual band, in case you dont know all it menas it that it supports both the 2.4 and the 5gig band. Each band has its up and downs. While the latter gets you more bandwidth, the former can let you go further.

It is very possible to have a "single band" router and share bandwidth with someone else while still using DIRECTV. Also this only matters if you are connecting CIA wifi, if you use ethernet this becomes moot

Also if you are dong wireless what you want is a router that supports the 801.11n which is what the Genies (44, 54) supports as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk