1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resubscribe now or wait for MPEG 4?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SuMeri, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuMeri

SuMeri New Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Should I wait until the receivers are updated for MPEG 4 format to resubscribe? Hate to have to buy new receivers in a matter of months, but we sure do miss dish.
    By the way, when we cancelled they told us it was a three month wait to resubscribe not a six month wait,,,,we shall see.

2. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Then why did you bother to cancel? No offense, but all this MPEG4 "vaporware" is not gonna happen till at LEAST beginning of next year. Don't expect the transition to take any LESS than 5 years if not longer. There will be problems with the chips, receivers, software, etc. If you left because you got a better deal, enjoy. If you left to get new equipment as a new sub, good luck with that.

3. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Are you getting Hi-Def? If you're Std-Def only, MPEG 4 is a LONG way off (my guess - 5 years).

Also, you can lease a avoid most of the mpeg 4 risks.

4. bookwalk

bookwalk AllStar

May 10, 2005
    I see that the FCC moved the date up to March 2006 for selling "Ditigal" tv's in the 27" range, so maybe MPEG 4 isn't THAT far off!

5. SuMeri

SuMeri New Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Easy tiger, I left because I bought a new plasma screen and wanted my locals in HD. Now I think it is worth it to use UHF antennae to pick up locals if it means getting dish back. I had no idea how crappy cable was.

6. RLMesq

RLMesq Legend

Mar 9, 2003
    It could take even longer if they have to search for new unobtanium deposits and start mining operations.

7. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    :thats:

Um, personally I have my 811 on loan from E*. :shrug:

8. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    That's for the ATSC tuners. The Digital Broadcasts are not compressed. And, the NAB is pushing for an move to 2009 for the analog shutoff due to the huge # of people who would be left without any TV......booo hooo hooo.

9. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Get a good antenna. Hopefully, you don't have a metal roof(had one today - sucked).

10. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    You've watched the Core recently?

11. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Just saw this for the first time:

1. Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

Guess my typing has improved lately...........

12. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    It was on just a few days ago. :)

13. mrdectown

mrdectown Legend

Apr 10, 2004
    You know cable is not that bad or bad at all to me. I have both E* and Comcast. The only channels that suck on cable are 2-79. Everything else is off the hook in comparison to E*'s SD channels. I mean it got to the point where i had to cancel my Nba pass cause it looked so bad. Maybe its compression. Who knows but i use my Comcast HD Dvr for everything now. ANd i have a 811 that i havent turned on since JAnuary. I tried canceling but i cant get rid of the HD pack till my contract is up. Does anyone know if E* will lease there HD dvr's?

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Subscribe now because they will swap your MPEG-2 receiver out for an MPEG-4 one and it could be a while until they get everything over to MPEG-4 and perhaps make further improvements after the initial rollout of the MPEG-4 receivers.

15. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    I don't know why everyone is worried about this MPEG4 thing...they are going to have to have some type of a replacement program or subs will be bailing like dish network was the titanic!

16. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah the overeaction here is sad and amazing. Educated folks like us should understand.

Besides if you want high def, you will DEMAND a DVR.

Its probably best to not be the first sub with the new high def mpeg4 DVR, let others be the beta testers.

I think that box will be in general release by late fall just in time for the christmas selling season.

EVERYTHING ON TODAY will remain, only new high def channels will be on mpeg4.

everyone should chill a bit

17. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    I made a comment about MPEG4/H.264 a while back and got laughed at because it wasn't gonna happen. Now, it's all everyone is worried about. Not only is it not ready yet, but it's gonna be a long time before it comes out. Personally, I've lost all interest in any MPEG4 receivers. I prefer that they work to address the issues they have with the current receivers. You can bet I will raise a stink if they attempt to replace my 721 with something crappy and if they try to hit me with a DVR fee. I feel that if we are exempt now, and they force us to upgrade, then we should be provided with comparable equipment at the same rate. Otherwise, I will lose service when they shut off all the MPEG2 broadcasts...................At least the 120GB drive is usable for something else.

18. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They will need to compress the current channels that we have by making them MPEG-4 to make room for the HD channels. By changing out the premium services to MPEG-4/HD first it make them feel as if they are more of a premium for the price that you pay and getting an upgraded receiver to boot for betting those services. Can anyone forsee having to sign a contract to keep those services for an x number of months to get the free receiver upgrade to get those premiums?

19. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    Great point Larry, I'm with you.

I can definitely forsee that.

20. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    While everyone is chillin'----- this just in; Rupert Murdoch just ordered 20 million MPEG4 DVRs:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.