Resume playing a recording

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by claycruncher, Dec 9, 2008.

1. claycruncher

claycruncher AllStar

Nov 10, 2008
    I noticed that when I leave a program that is recording on my HR22 to watch something else (say a football game; I've caught up to the current time and want to watch something else while the game finishes recording) by using the Exit or List buttons, when I return to the recording it asks if I want to resume.

When I select resume it doesn't return to where I stopped watching (exited the recording) but returns me to current time of the program. Does anyone know if this standard on the HR22? Doesn't seem to be correct to me. Is there a specific way to exit a recording so that when you select resume it returns you to where you stopped watching the the recording (recording in progress)?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that if you go to the list, press play, and then stop the recording, you can resume it. If you were just watching live while it was recording, and then you go to the list, it doesn't necessarily resume from the point where you were watching.

3. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    We have 0ne HR20-700 and one HR21-700 on both units when I want to leave a recording and go th live TV I just put in the channel number and it will go to that channel, when I wnat to go back th the recording I was watching I press the previous botton andit will take me right back to the recording where I left off, as long as I have not changes the live TV channel sence I left the recording. If I have changed the channel the I have to go to list and resume the recording and it will start where it left off before. It should work the same way on your HR22.

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I haven't been able to figure out what combination causes this, but it happens with my HR22 as well. Most of the time when I'm watching a recording and swicth to a live program and back, it resumes at the correct spot. Sometimes, when I resume, it starts at the previous point that I exited or even the beginning.

I have used different methods to leave the recording and go back to a live program. I have used "Exit", "Prev" and simply entering the new channel # that I want to watch live. Then, use either "Prev" or "List" & "Resume" to go back. Most times any of thes methods work fine. Once in a while it doesn't take you back to the last spot you left the recording.

5. claycruncher

claycruncher AllStar

Nov 10, 2008
    Thanks for the responses. I wondered if this a firmware issue and should be reported to D*. I haven't figured it out. I tend leave a recording in progress when watching a football game. Once I catch up to the current time I can't stand to watch all the commercials so I want to go watch something else until the recording advances. I have to write down the time I've watched so I know where to resume watching. It's a bit of a hassle and thought I was exiting the recording incorrectly.

Any othe ideas would be appreciated. I'm not familiar with book marks, but would this be a way to mark where I am leaving the recording so I could quickly return to this spot? If so how do you do a bookmark?

6. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    A bookmark would indeed work, when in the recording, watching from your playlist hit pause and the green button...then stop playback....you cannot set a bookmark when watching a program live that is recording.....just in case you didn't know.

I have an HR22 as my primary unit in my livingroom, here is the method I use when watching football on Sundays:

Set the Niner game to record, and even if I am watching right when it starts to record, I go into playlist and start watching from there.....when I chose to let some time "buffer" so that I can skip commercials....I hit PAUSE

Then, I enter a channel number in specifically....usually 703-1...or I chose the channel from the mini guide when my favorites are set to "NFL Sunday" which is only the ST channels and CBS and FOX locals....

When I want to go back some 5 or 10 mins later....I hit PREV....playback resumes from where I hit pause.

**Works on all my HR2X units.....20, 21, 22**

Hope this helps, I love this method!:D

7. claycruncher

claycruncher AllStar

Nov 10, 2008
    I always go to the playlist to begin watching a program that is recording. Thanks SDizzle for the steps you follow using the pause key. You and Clemsole use the PREV button to get back. This seems to work if you know the specific channel you want to go watch while the buffer fills up. I will use this when I know the channel I want to watch. In many cases I want to go and watch another program that has been recorded or I want to go to the guide to see what's on. It seems that if you don't know the specific channel the PREV button won't get me back to the the place I left the recording.

Thanks again for the input and I'll continue to play around to see if I can find another solution. It just seems fundamental to me that if you leave a recording and want RESUME, it should RESUME where you left off regardless of how you left the recording.