1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retailers Still Selling Receivers/DVRs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MadMac, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 #1 of 15
    MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Are Costco & Best Buy still stocking boxes? No mention on either website. I have a recollection of reading here a while back that they weren't doing this any more.

2. Oct 1, 2010 #2 of 15
    narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    They are not. Solidsignal.com is your only option for getting a box, if you want a specific model (H24/HR24). Outside of that, you're placing the order and getting whatever they ship you or the installer shows up with.

3. Oct 1, 2010 #3 of 15
    MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I even checked a local place (Beach Audio) and they're no longer stocking them. Fellow at work remembered me getting boxes at Costco and wondered if that was still possible. I'll point him to the fine folks at Solid Signal.

4. Oct 1, 2010 #4 of 15
    narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    No problem. Solidsignal is an authorized retailer and can provide installation services and promo pricing for new customers, as well.

5. Oct 5, 2010 #5 of 15
    bennasar

bennasar Cool Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Abt electronics also carries the H24 and HR24 receivers, and shipping is free

Miguel

6. Oct 5, 2010 #6 of 15
    J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Just to clarify (and for my own sake), I believe these will still be considered leased units, correct?

Is there anywhere you can BUY new receivers?

7. Oct 5, 2010 #7 of 15
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes.

Yes, ebay.

8. Oct 5, 2010 #8 of 15
  9. Oct 5, 2010 #9 of 15
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can BUY them from DIRECTV. You will pay much more, and will have a hard time finding a CSR who knows how to accomplish that.

You can also buy a used, owned receiver from a private person. (Such as off of ebay.) However, you need will want to verify that the unit is owned, and not assigned to an account with a past due balance. (Those issues would keep you from being able to use the receiver on your account.)

I believe others have said the only sure way of finding this information out is to get the RID (receiver id) from the seller and verifying this info with the Access Card Department. (Some CSRs have indicated they can look up this information, but people have had problems with them not doing this correctly.)

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You need to talk to the access card distribution team when calling about a RID. Them and them only, no matter what that front line CSR tells you they can do.

11. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    How do any of these ever NOT become leased? I would think that D* would have a great inventory tracking system so I'm confused how they could be new in a store yet able to be purchased.

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Amazon also sells DirecTV receivers/DVRs.

http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-HR24-...IQU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286308485&sr=8-1

There are also a couple of other places on the web that you "purchase" receivers/DVRs.

Mike

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Equipment that was a protection plan replacement for an owned unit is a common way equipment is owned. You can also buy them outright at significant cost direct from the access card distribution team.

They have an excellent tracking system, the receiver ID. That is how you know if it is leased or owned. Any major retailer will sell never activated, leased equipment and new owned HR21P-200 units.

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The receivers that were being "sold" by Best Buy, Costco, etc. were LEASED receivers, and weren't being sold outright, though many people assumed otherwise.

The only new-in-box receiver that retailers could sell outright was the HR21 Pro. The only source for NEW owned receivers is to get them from DirecTV directly. You can get USED owned receivers from folks who have had older owned receivers replaced under the protection plan, or from DirecTV employees, who get special accounts and have their receivers become owned.

15. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    My local Costco still had a huge stack of receivers as of 2 weeks ago. Maybe just because they weren't moving and they'll just sell them out and be done with it. All HR22's I believe.