1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retentions #? The one I have is no longer it!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jsherm007, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsherm007

jsherm007 AllStar

Jun 23, 2006
    I have this #800-824-9081.

2. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    They no longer have a public number. It got abused.

3. jsherm007

jsherm007 AllStar

Jun 23, 2006
    Damn!!!!! Ok, thanks!

4. Brantel

Brantel RBR Hitit tillit bricksit

Dec 8, 2006

Yep, they have a new number. It stays the same but you need a PIN# to get in. Guess what.... The pin number expires in a few days :mad:

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    If "abused" means feeling like that was the best number to call to get the most accurate answers to my questions, then I'm guilty.:)

But I never called just to call and try to get something for nothing or free just because I felt like it.

6. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    I am pretty good at negotiating, so a friend had me call up on her account to see about getting a 2nd receiver. The CSR wouldn't budge from $49 (for a lease!), so I simply asked for retention. She transferred me without any problems and I wound up getting her a SD DVR for $0. :)

Glad she had a name that could be a man or lady's name. :)

7. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yeah, that's what I meant by abused. That's not what retention is supposed to be doing. Their job is giving out freebies to keep customers happy.

8. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    That may be true, but over over the 11 years I have been w/ D*, I found that the information and support that came out of that dept. was better the than the rest of the bunch. I always had valid reasons for calling. I went years without ever having to call. I honestly never felt I was abusing it.

9. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    I need to add smething else.
    Peeps that would call and "threaten" to leave for cable just to get HBO for free is abusing the system.

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's abusing the system, yes, but that's still what retention is for. They're not there to answer your questions.

11. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    I understand what your saying, but they did it well, happily, and without hesitation. I'm a long time customer w/ TC, Extra Innings (8 yrs), and ST(11 Yrs). In affect they were providing me w/ service, keeping me happy, and a D* customer. I know it sounds like I'm trying to justify this in someway. But again, after calling the front lines and getting basically no where most of the time, I would do what I needed to do to get the information I needed. It may not have been the answer I always wanted, but none the less, more times than not it was the correct answer. That's why I would cal retention.

12. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Believe me, I understand. I've been guilty of doing the same thing a few times myself. All I'm doing is explaining the situation.

13. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    We're cool...:grin:
    Even though we're all anonymous, I didn't want to come across as some lame as* calling everytime my service went out in a heavy rain storm.

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    :D

15. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    LMAO...

Really, I am.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    When my service goes out in a heavy rain storm, I call and demand free HBO.

17. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005

Did ya get it?

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Works every time. They even apologize for the rain.

19. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    I guess the $5 credit a month for six months is next.

Actually, to stay on topic just a little bit. I did read on one of these boards where some guy said he was able to pry the new number out them, but he didn't/wouldn't post. I don't blame him I guess, if he really had it.

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yeah that was on here, I remember seeing it too. I don't know if I believe him, but whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.