1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrans prices at the pump

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1 of 13
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    From media commentator Paul Maxwell of MediaBiz comes this:
    This doesn't bode well for subs. Look for retrans fees to track with retail gaspoline prices.

2. Apr 2, 2013 #2 of 13
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    After visiting MediaBiz, it appears to be an April Fools.

3. Apr 2, 2013 #3 of 13
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Obviously, but when the black N.A.P.A.L.M. choppers swoop down to attach a retrans meter to your RG6, don't act surprised. :eek2:

4. Apr 2, 2013 #4 of 13
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If it's obvious, why did you post it on April 2nd and without a link?

5. Apr 2, 2013 #5 of 13
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    ...and in OT rather than Laughter Is The Best Medicine.

6. Apr 2, 2013 #6 of 13
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good guess.
    Because I'm old and I run about a day behind. I just saw it today, and I gave the source. Obviously, you found it. Due to the brief and facetious nature of the quote, I deemed an actual "link" as unnecessary.
    It wasn't all that funny, at least not enough to provoke laughter. If you want funny, be sure to follow my threads in the "Laughter Is The Best Medicine" forum.

Have a good day.

P.S. I'm surprised that none of you nitpickers picked up on the new term I coined: "gaspoline" Apparently, my tongue wasn't far enough in my cheek. :lol:

7. Apr 2, 2013 #7 of 13
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Actually, the joke was on the OTA Broadcasters on April 1.

Aereo Wins a Court Battle, Dismaying Broadcasters

By BRIAN STELTER
    Published: April 1, 2013

AEREO challenges one of the most basic tenets of the television business. Broadcasters have been trying to sue it out of existence for a year. But after suffering a big setback on Monday, the broadcast world may have to learn to live with it.

A federal appeals court in New York on Monday upheld a ruling in favor of Aereo, the start-up Internet service that streams stations without compensating them. The decision set the stage for a full-blown trial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/b...tage-for-trial-on-streaming-broadcast-tv.html

Aereo is able to stream broadcast stations by operating an array of tiny antennas that pick up over-the-air signals. Subscribers paying about $8 a month receive control over one antenna and can select programming over the Internet. Aereo essentially turns the subscriber’s phone, computer or tablet into a small television set, but without the rabbit ears that would normally be needed.

The array of antennas in Brooklyn allows Aereo to avoid paying the retransmission fees that operators like Time Warner Cable and DirecTV pay for access to stations. Those fees are an increasingly important revenue source for the stations, so it is not surprising their owners have sued to protect them.

8. Apr 2, 2013 #8 of 13
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Nope, didn't even look for it.

(you continue to use the word "obviously" for things that aren't obvious at all)

9. Apr 2, 2013 #9 of 13
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Apparently.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Obviously that fight isn't over ... that particular victory was over the restraining order. The courts are allowing Aereo to stay in business while the legality of their business is decided.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    2 things, Nick.

I still owe you that picture, haven't forgotten it.

Will you drink that glass of beer and change back to your other avatar, I haven't had a beer since 1999 and your new avatar is driving me crazy.... :lol:

I want a beer!

Rich

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Obviously, I pace myself. Congrats on your abstinence, Rich.

The pic was taken at Altieri's, a local bistro and pizzaria in historic downtown Brunswick, Georgia. Tammy, one of the lovely serving wenchs (not winches ;)) took the pic with her cellphone. Altiera's was a favorite hangout for Lisa, my beloved girlfriend, and myself. That visit to Altieri's was my first after about six months since Lisa had passed. In the pic, I was toasting to her memory.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In that case, raise another one for me.

Rich