Retransmission Issue Enters 4th Month

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by HarryG, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sep 2, 2019 #1 of 40
    HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    Twenty small/medium market network affiliates, controlled by nine different broadcast groups with shared Sinclair service agreements, were removed from Directv on May 30th and June 10.

Unlike NEXSTAR and CBS this dispute lacks a “reasonable” quick resolution. The stations have been dark on Directv for more than 90 days, and hopes for ever seeing these affiliates readded back to the Directv platform are fading. Still holding out hope for a resolution as long as program listings continue to be populated in the program guide.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. Sep 2, 2019 #2 of 40
    stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    I know nothing, but hope the current negotiations with Sinclair might be the catalyst. Don’t forget Northwest has been out since February.

3. Sep 3, 2019 #3 of 40
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Are you referring to Deerfield? We are still missing our NBC Channel.

4. Sep 3, 2019 #4 of 40
    HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    The stations at issue in the retransmission dispute are: KBTV Beaumont, Texas (Fox); WSTR Cincinnati (My Net); WPMI Mobile, Ala. (NBC); WJTC Mobile (independent); WHAM Rochester, N.Y. (ABC); WHAM-DT Rochester (CW); KMYS San Antonio (CW); WBUI Champaign, Ill. (CW); WCCU Champaign (Fox); WRSP Champaign (Fox); WWMB Myrtle Beach, S.C. (CW); WEYI Flint, Mich. (NBC); KMTW Wichita (My Net); WFLI Chattanooga (CW); WNBW Gainesville, Fla. (NBC); WTLF Tallahassee (CW); WSWB Wilkes Barre/Scranton (CW); WNAB Nashville (CW); KMTR Eugene, Ore. (NBC); KFXA Cedar Rapids (Fox); and KMEG Sioux City (CBS).

5. Sep 4, 2019 #5 of 40
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I went to tvpromise website and they don't even have it listed as a disputed channel anymore. It used to be there during the Nexstar Dispute. How do I let them know it is still a problem?
    Maybe it will come up before the new episodes of our favorite shows come on.

6. Sep 4, 2019 #6 of 40
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    It only affects my CW network but I keep hoping that since it includes some NBCs in other markets we might have resolution by NFL opening day.

I know where to find my CW shows through other means but I would much prefer to record them on my DVR. Antenna signal is spotty for that channel so that isnt an option

7. Sep 6, 2019 #7 of 40
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    For anyone that loves numbers!

The Bonnieville (KSL-NBC) dispute so far holds the record of longest local dispute between 2018-19 on D* at 235 days (8 months) where KSL was blacked out from August 14, 2018 - April 5, 2019.

As of September 6, 2019:
    • Northwest Broadcasting stations will have been blacked out for 197 days (est 6.5 months). Once the blackout hits October 15, 2019 the Northwest dispute will surpass the Bonnieville dispute in terms of length and become the new record holder.
    • May 30th stations have been in blackout for 100 days.
    • June 10th stations have been in blackout for 89 days.

HarryG and cielohajames2005 like this.
  8. Sep 7, 2019 #8 of 40
    glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more complaining on social media about the loss of our local Fox station (I am in the Cedar Rapids DMA and we have lost our Fox station, KFXA since late May). I get the station off OTA and use the LCC to record off-air so it doesn't matter to me, but I'd have thought once football started and people were missing football there would be some complaints. So far, crickets at least on social media that I follow. Maybe this is DirecTV taking the temperature and figuring that it is good business to just wait to get a deal that they can live with like the Pac-12 Network or the Dodgers channel. If they let me opt out of the networks, sign me up.

9. Sep 8, 2019 #9 of 40
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Might change tomorrow with the first Sunday of pro football. Or when the Hawkeyes are on Fox instead of FS1.

Maybe a lot of people have picked up an LCC like you and are avoiding the problem?

glrush likes this.
  10. bjoe

bjoe Cool Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I suspect the ‘outsourced sinclair’ issue is tied to the main Sinclair contract that expires soon.

Northwest is in the middle of a merger with Cox Media. I recall one of the sticking points with the extended nexstar dispute was the then pending merger with tribune. The smaller market groups are trying to leverage and extort for the bigger market groups they will soon be a part of but not official yet which is a point of contention for the providers.

The justice department approved the nexstar-tribune merger a few weeks ago and DTV settled shortly after most likely realizing they are stuck with the combined company-tribune included.

Cox-northwest is still stuck in government review with opposition, so DTV will probably hold off instead of letting small market northwest attempt to price the large market cox stations into an agreement at this point At the point of merger approval, they will likely take their lumps and deal with Cox mainly due to their large market presence.

FCC Media Bureau Wants Public Say On Cox/Apollo Deals | Radio & Television Business Report

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  11. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    FYI: GoCom Media, LLC (Sinclair sidecar) stations WRSP/WCCU-Fox and WBUI-CW from Champaign, Illinois have returned AT&T video services including DirecTV!!!

Stations still in dispute from May 30th and June 10th are:
    Note: All of the following stations are in a LMA/JSA/SSA with Sinclair Broadcasting Group unless noted.
    • Deerfield Media
      • WPMI-NBC Mobile, Alabama
        • WJTC-IND
      • WHAM-ABC Rochester, New York
        • WHAMDT2-CW
      • WSTR-MNT Cincinnati, Ohio
      • KBTV-Fox Beaumont, Texas
      • KMYS-CW San Antonio, Texas
    • Howard Stirk Holdings
      • WWMB-CW Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
      • WEYI-NBC Flint, Michigan
    • Mercury Broadcasting Company, Inc.
      • KMTW-MNT Wichita, Kansas
    • MPS Media, LLC
      • Note: WNBW, WTLF & WSWB are operated by New Age Media, LLC via LMA; certain services provided by Sinclair Broadcasting Group
        • WNBW-NBC Gainesville, Florida
        • WTLF-CW Tallahassee, Florida
        • WSWB-CW Wilkes Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania
      • WFLI-CW Chattanooga, Tennessee
    • Tennessee Broadcasting
      • WNAB-CW Nashville, Tennessee
    • Roberts Media, LCC
      • KMTR-NBC Eugene, Oregon
    • Second Generation of Iowa, Ltd.
      • KFXA-Fox Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • Waitt Broadcasting, Inc.
      • KMEG-CBS Sioux City, Iowa
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other medium to small market disputes unrelated to the ones above:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Looks like CW38 Scranton-Wilkes Barre is back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Never mind it’s off again.

14. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    This is getting kind of old. I was sure with the Sinclair deal that we'd ultimately get all of the sidecars back. No one seems to be in too much of a hurry here

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Sinclair isn't allowed to negotiate for the "sidecars" themselves, as the whole point of that "we manage but don't own them" relationship is that Sinclair doesn't have that level of control. That negotiation needs to happen with the little companies that own them, but they have much less leverage over Directv since they affect fewer markets.

cielohajames2005 likes this.
  16. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    No CW in Tallahassee sence June. Don't miss it, only when News at 10 is on.

17. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    You can still get the shows on the CW on demand channel, that’s how I’ve been watching The Flash and Batwoman or even on the CW app, they’re on a day later than on the actual channel but who cares.

18. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Oh I know. I was just hoping the Sinclair deal would be the first domino setting off the others.

19. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    CW in Tallahassee Has been off since June.