Returning a DVR problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mike Munday, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Mike Munday

Mike Munday New Member

Sep 5, 2020
    Returned a bad dvr on nov 12 per their instructions. Took to fed x shipping center and got reference number and proof they sent it. Today i got a letter stating they will charge me in about a week if they dont get it. Called got reps who were of no help. Constantly put on hold. Told they would enter the reference number but i might still be charged.

my plan is to dispute the charge on my credit card..any other ideas are appreciated. Sent a message also via facebook. Sometimes this seems to work.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Be happy that they didn't lie and assure you that the problem was taken care of.

Until you've been charged, it is probably impossible to reverse the charge.

Did you try tracking the DVR? I don't mean to suggest that you should be required to exert any effort in this but it would give you solid footing to know that it has been delivered and when.

3. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I don't remember if I got a letter. I read in my contract that there was a fee for unreturned equipment. It was $45 bucks for a client. I was charged that amount before the item actually was returned to their offices. Once they got the client back - they removed the charge from my bill. It is preprogrammed in their billing system if it is not sent back by the time they process the return in their system and the window to return it. Makes no sense to me but, that's what they do...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    P.S. Your receiver could still be in transit and they may have not processed the return to your account yet. Give it a week or two. Then see what happens on your next billing statement or make a phone call. At least they can see if it is in their inventory.

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The shipment would be on day 13 if it hasn't been received.

This isn't some far-flung rural delivery to an obscurely described location we're talking about here. I would imagine that they get a vanload a day of returned equipment.

6. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    They probably do get a van load of returns. They have to process those returns. Do they not? If they bill you for it and later are notified they received your receiver - They will remove the charge or credit your account. This has to have happened to other customers. I am sure DIRECTV did not just charge them for returned equipment and keep their money. Just be patient and follow up. It's as simple as that.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To get them into their system, yes.

They don't have to be processed for the customer to know/prove that they were received from the carrier.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unbox, scan the RID into the system, mark the receiver as returned. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    If you are returning it via a drop off location I'd expect that "mark receiver as returned" would be done when accepted at the drop off.

With any computerized system there are chances records are lost. Use that confirmation number and see if you can get the issue corrected.
    (I returned a receiver to another company years ago that was not credited without following up. Apparently the record was lost.)

9. Claude A Greiner

Claude A Greiner DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 7, 2018
    I wouldn’t worry about it unless they charge you.

I doubt they wanted the defective receiver back to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Whether or not they wanted it back, AT&T will not miss an opportunity to collect a fee.

krel likes this.
  11. man00

man00 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Maybe you will get $5.00 off your next bill

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And maybe Santa's sleigh will be drawn by pigs this year.;)