1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning owned DVR to Direcvtv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sfeym, May 24, 2013.

1. sfeym

sfeym New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Directv is sending me a box to return a DVR which I purchased and own and if I do not return it within 21 days they will bill my account. Has this happened to anyone else and is there any way keep the equipment that I already paid for without getting charged?

2. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Most equipment is leased, not owned. Did you purchase from DTV, retailer, or individual? Some additional details would be helpful.

3. sfeym

sfeym New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    The DVR was purchased from an authorized retailer.

4. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    It sounds that your purchased receiver is actually a leased receiver? I would guess that your price was about $199 or so. If so, it is definitely leased.

5. sfeym

sfeym New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    It is an HR-34 and cost over $300.00

6. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Probably $399. Still sounds like a leased receiver. I don't believe any retailers would be selling you a “owned" receiver.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Look at the box your HR34-700 came in. On the box my Genie came in it says in outlined text "Attention: This receiver is a leased product and is the property of DirecTV. This product must be returned to DirecTV upon cancellation of DirecTV service or additional fees will apply. If this receiver has been activated, DO NOT RETURN TO RETAILER. Call 1-800-DIRECTV for information on how to return it. If you are having this equipment professionally installed, do not open box until an installer arrives". If you see that message on the box your HR34-700 came in you have a leased receiver.

8. sfeym

sfeym New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Yes it does say that so it looks like I must return it.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yep, definitely a leased receiver. IIRC, an HDDVR is ~$500.00 to buy outright. that would make the Genie >$500.00 to own

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Per the Access Card department there is another cheaper option to own a HR34 as well. One could deactivate the HR34 and not return it as the non return fee was only $250. Pay the non return fee and then the receiver becomes owned and can be activated again on the same account. Not sure I want to test it but I may one day as I do want to own my HR34.

11. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    You would have a rude awakening if you think that will work, I never tried it but I don't think is that easy.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't think that is accurate. In the past, if a receiver was not returned and the NRF is paid, that receiver could not be activated again. Now being that you are trying to activate it on the same account, you might be able to pull that off. However, if you had paid an up-front lease fee to begin with for the HR34, adding another $250 to that price in order to own it might not be that good of a deal.

- Merg

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That would be true but since I got my HR34 for free, it would be a great deal. I am also not jumping to try this. I heard this months ago and again within the last week or so both times from the access card department. Not really a process one wants to try to see if it works. Who knows, one of these days I might buy an owned one off the net, deactivate the leased one and try it to at least sell for more money then the Non Return Fee.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Genies are $800 to own.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not in all cases. As I understand it, Commercial accounts are only paying a little more then we are (for a leased one) but theirs are considered owned. I have seen a few posts that some have been able to activate an owned one from a commercial account that was sold. Also there is the other way I mentioned earlier with the non return fee of $250.

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Solid Signal has a HR34 for residential/lease at $349, and for commercial accounts at $429. If you look on the page for that commercial unit, it says in big capital letters "FOR COMMERCIAL USE ONLY". I think if what you're saying was possible, everyone here would have known about it forever, and Solid Signal would let people know they could do this on the product page as a cheaper alternative to buying as owned from Directv. Besides, I'm not sure I know if I actually "own" my receivers. I probably do, but how do I know for certain? If I ever canceled my account I'd probably hold onto them for a little while just in case!

The fact that others have succeeded in activating a commercial receiver doesn't mean much. Maybe Directv made a mistake (wouldn't be the first time) or maybe the commercial account bought an owned receiver off Ebay. I bought some H20s off Ebay at one point, but I didn't know anything about the leased/owned thing back then so I had no idea of their actual status. I'd assume most of them were actually leased, but maybe I was just lucky. All I know is that I got them all activated no problem. Perhaps Directv doesn't care about commercial accounts activating residential/leased receivers on their account since we pay them so much money! That doesn't that the reverse is true and that Directv will let residential accounts activate commercial receivers.

I can always use more H20s, so if anyone has one or more functional H20s laying around in a closet they aren't using that Directv considers leased but doesn't want back, send me a PM. I'd be glad to take it off your hands as an "experiment" to see if I can activate it, and how much, if any, grief Directv gives me when I call in for it. Worst case I'm out $20 for a new card and your shipping cost and reimbursement for your shipping and 'handling' :) I might even be able to re-use the card out of one of the receivers I'm not using. I hear sometimes you can get them to do this.

The more interesting experiment would be if I am able to activate a leased receiver on my account, does that change it to "owned" in Directv's records? Would a residential customer then be able to activate it on his account as an owned receiver? Or is it then marked "commercial" and residential customers can't do so?

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    How is it cheaper? The original poster got soaked "over $300" to acquire it and then he pays the NRF of $250 meaning he has $550 invested in his DVR which will only work with an active DirecTV account. It still escapes me why ANYONE would want to own a receiver unless they plan on activating/deactivating it on a seasonal basis.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I knew one guy that felt that if he had leased boxes that meant he was in debt to DirecTV and didn't want to be in that position to anyone or company.