Returning to Directv- dont want NFL free promo, other discounts/promos?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scottchez, Dec 26, 2018.

1. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Had Driectv a few years ago. Wanted to come back and get 4K on one TV

Just did a chat , saw the prices and they all had the NFL (offered for this year and next) package that I would never use.
    Asked if they had a $300 Visa card offer some maybe all Movie channels free for a year and they said now.
    Seems like NFL package for this and next year is worth $300, I rather have that in programming discount for say the 250 channel package.

QUESTION ONE
    Are new promos coming out in Jan right before the Jan 20th price increase?
    I want to get locked in for the bet prices before they go up

QUESTION TWO
    If I need 4 K on one TV and a Genie with the MOST Tuners and the option for OTA and later the LLC which hard ware do I need?
    I have 3 TV (2 HD and 1 4K)

My Internet is with Centurylink, I see I get $5 discount if they do the billing but I think you loose the ability to talk them into better promos at the 13 month mark, is this true?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The NFL package is free for them to offer, because they pay a fixed price. There is no way they are going to give you a $300 gift card or anything of similar cost to them in exchange for something that costs them nothing.

3. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Can't comment about gift card but DTV offers change all the time. So I'd keep calling until you find something you like. Sometimes what 1 agent offers is different from another so keep calling would be my advice

4. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    What about an over the air tuner.
    Years ago I had an AM21 and sold it.
    Can you get something newer now, or do I wait for the new LCC which has all the guide data once my market is ready?
    I must have my METV and COMET Channels (digital sub channels).

Plus I live near an other DMA so I also get their CBS NBC and ABC when sky is good for OTA.

NEW QUESTION: I always like to be cutting edge with the latest models. Been away for years. What is the model of the Genie I want? What about the minis?
    I have 2 HD TV and 1 4K TV

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  5. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    While I don’t know if they have ever gone as high as $300....they have definitely offered $200 gift cards in the past.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. jnelson2000

jnelson2000 New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    I just came back to DTV after a terrible stint with Xfinity. I was offered a $200.00 Visa Debit card which I received within 2 weeks after I activated. That was only 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Found out Costco has a $250 Visa offer and calling DirecTV directly they will match it.
    Now, which equipment do I want?
    I really want the latest and greatest like the Genie 2, and at least one 4K Mini.
    I dont have a 4K TV yet but it will be coming a month after the install time. How do I get them to install a 4k mini? Should just get Two of them and one normal Mini?

BUT . . . I also some day want the new LCC OTA tuner, is it true the new Genie 2 does not support it or any OTA tuner? I must have a tuner some day to get all my locals, so does that mean I need an HR54?
    How old is the HR54? Is it stable now? Pixelations?
    Does the HR54 do 4K or do you need a 4K mini?

Ideas on hardware?

Please increase is a coming and the hot new sales start Jan 1st I hear.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you want to be SURE you can have an OTA tuner, you should get an HR54. The HS17 may support the LCC when it comes out, or it may not if so you'll be stuck.

9. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Signed up for DirecTV in August and got:
    -$300 in Visa cards
    - NFL package
    -$100 in bill credits due to missing the first TWO install appointments
    -$10/mo credit for 6 months due to them not having a record of the $300 Visa card deal (I had email proof of the offer and my order)
    - Free premium channels for three months (standard), PLUS they just gave me three more months of free HBO

AT&T has made it VERY difficult to deal with any CSR and get resolution to issues, but if you stick with it, you can come out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Sounds like in the other thread the new HS17 just got the OTA tuner menu, no word yet on if the LCC is supported but its a good sign they updated the software.

QUESTION: is the HS17 stable now? Few bugs, is that the one to get now? Is it the largest hard drive?

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HS17 has a 2TB HDD.

BrendanJ likes this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They all have the same bugs. Which is a lot

13. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I really want the latest and larger hard drive with the HD17 Server.
    I will bet that the LCC will work someday and I am ok waiting.

QUESTION: which Clients do I need for HD and 4K TVs?

The CSR I am chatting with says get the Wireless Genie and they all do 4K now, is that true, then I ask for which model of the Genie mini and they say it is a HR54 wireless
    I am confused now.
    Help

I have 2 HDTVs and One 4K TV
    I record just about everything and will fill a 1TB HD fast (I do this today on the other brand).

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You need a HR54 or a HS17 for 4K. You then need a C61K client for each 4K TV. The HS17 has wireless built in and the HR54 requires a wireless video bridge. The 4K clients are wired only. No wireless for them yet

15. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    So a would get a HS17 and one C61K, what about the Two HDTVs, what model?
    Will they force me to get Wireless Minis? I am pre wired and rather not, but do understand I have to pay a $99 upgrade fee for a Genie 2 which is ok with me for the latest model and larger HD.
    IDeas?

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The tech will install the HS17 with a C61K-700 for your 4K Ultra HDTV and two clients for your two other HDTVs. They cannot force you to go wireless.

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yup. They will either be C41/51/61 clients

18. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    What if I dont have a 4K tv at install time? Can I still get C61K-700?
    Bday is coming after the price increases and would not be there yet.
    Should I borrow one for the install so they will give me one, I ready were they would not install and activate a 4K unless they can test it.
    Ideas?