1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revamping and Swi/& or Deca confusion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by manofsteele, Jun 14, 2010.

1. manofsteele

manofsteele Cool Member

Sep 2, 2006
    First let me state that all the reading I think has confused me more than anything but im trying. Second specs, Im pretty sure I have a slimline non swm dish thats run by a nonpowered 6x8 wideband. I have three hddvrs - 2 HR20-700 and a HR22. Only one has VOD in the living room. I want to add a tv and hddvr in the daugters room, which would be eight tuners which would be fine but the deca thing has got me thinking and wanting it.

I have tons of Cat5 and all but want everything nice and run through the walls and am thinking of running all the RG6 to the basement or garage and having a box, at the same time having internet in every room inlcuding one for MRV. IF going to deca dont need the extra run.

Im just at a point where I want to upgrade or change but really dont know wehre to start or what would be the easiest route, I dont mind runing a line to the rooms as they already have two anyway, I just would like a central place to have everything.

Also both of my HR20-700's are loud and hard drive crunchers. Maybe all I need is some direction from the wise folks here.

Thanks for your time.

J

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you had (at least) one RG6 run to where ever you wanted a receiver and one to where a router is that all ran to a central location, and a line that ran from the dish to that same central location, you could call and order the MRV upgrade and they would set you up with SWM and DECA. It would be an easy install, swap out the LNB, add the proper splitter and PI in that central location, and they could bring your new HR receiver at the same time. This would give you VOD on all receivers along with being able to share recordings.

You won't want to run your typical home internet over the DECA network, so if you are wanting internet somewhere you should run ethernet lines there or consider wireless. You will not need an ethernet run for the MRV if you are using DECA.

Also, if you are running RG6, pull 2 lines. You only need one with SWM, but it is always a good idea to have an extra.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Especially true if you ever expect to use OTA.

4. manofsteele

manofsteele Cool Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Thank you both, I guess its just the idea of being in the attic that has me wimpy, I just needed to hear what I needed to do. After that its calling DTV and finding the cheapest way to get another HDDVR(HR24 ideally but who knows) and getting Deca. So would the best course be to ask for a HDDVR with whole room service at the same time, so that an installer would come out?

J

5. manofsteele

manofsteele Cool Member

Sep 2, 2006
    I forgot to mention I have an r-15, so that would be 2 tuners (HR20), 2 tuners (HR20), 2 tuners(Hr22), 2 tuners ( new dvr when ordered at same time) and 2 tuners R-15( or needed replacement). So when an installer would come would it still be an lnb replacement (which would be the one line to the garage/basement) or would they end up doing the four lines?

BTW thanks for answering any questions and helping me with this, its been thought about so much its driving me crazy.