1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse Dust Bowl - Californian's Leaving

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1 of 260
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From The Sacramento Bee:
    [​IMG]

And State Officials are now talking seriously about issuing registered warrants (check shaped IOU's) to pay the bills, something that happened only once since the Great Depression according to The Sacramento Bee.:eek2: :nono2:

2. Jun 14, 2009 #2 of 260
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    For a long while, the trend was that many Californians would move up to Seattle and realize how much more house for the money they could get. And the commute did not bother them as they were used to long commutes or at least lots of freeway time!! Then after a few years, they would realize that they could sell their half a million dollar house in the Puget Sound area and buy acreage and a monster mansion in the Spokane area with commutes of only 45 minutes to 1 hour due to actual distance and not traffic. We have been getting flooded with these transplants for years.

The biggest complaint about most of them who buy acreage, is that they think living in the country means no rules and they all let their dogs run loose. The dogs then run deer to death, trespass into others' property and chase cattle and horses and generally make a nuisance of themselves. The owners disregard warnings from neighbors and county law enforement and end up with their dogs being shot. This is a no-win for everybody because nobody likes killing a family pet.:(

3. Jun 14, 2009 #3 of 260
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Wow, that is not very nice calling a Texan an Okie.

4. Jun 14, 2009 #4 of 260
    bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    I left in May 2005 and never looked back.

bt-rtp

5. Jun 14, 2009 #5 of 260
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yep, California urban dwellers taking their unearned equity and [strike]escaping[/strike] moving has been a problem for a long time. When I lived in Oregon in the late 1960's that was a major complaint. My late sister-in-law (The Colonel) bought an affordable house in the early 1980's out of Coeur d'Alene, ID, that she planned to retire to and watched her property taxes grow and grow. When the Army finally let her retire in the early '90's we visited several times and took a tour of the mansions urban Californian's were building there. My sister lives in a beautiful mountain community in Idaho where, as a retired Idaho Teacher of The Year, she watched her home values jump over five times what she paid, and are now collapsing but property taxes aren't collapsing at the same rate.

I'm a rural Californian. I just kept moving north until I could afford it, but my last few years before retirement I had to work 3 hours from our home. Rural Northern California is like rural anywhere, be it the Pacific Northwest, Kansas (where I lived for not very long), or Central Pennsylvania where my wife is from. We do OK economically if outside forces don't alter things too much. But here in the generally laid back North Coast of California, we find someone screwing it up. First movie and TV stars started moving here followed by corporate people who literally flew their own planes to SoCal to work.

Now a somewhat different economic change is taking place. The Mexican Cartel is pushing the relatively harmless marijuana growers out of the public forest lands and turning a Glock 18 into part of the standard hiking gear in many places.

Now I'm not sure the State will be able to pay the private aircraft owners who provide air support for wildfire suppression except with IOU's.

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old Californian, but I have my reasons and I'm not going to move.:lol:

6. Jun 14, 2009 #6 of 260
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I know of some Californians that purchased about 11 acres of land close to where I live. They thought they were getting a bargain at $11,000 per acre. A local would not pay a penny over $5000 an acre for it, and that would be if it already had all the utilitities run on the property. Now we all have had our property taxes go up some because property taxes are based on what people tell the accessor they paid for their land. I wish someone had told them that we are not required by law to tell what we paid, it is optional.

7. Jun 14, 2009 #7 of 260
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    One of the few things that is keeping me in California is a cheap education and grandfathered property taxes from 1977. I have contemplated moving to the midwest because California is simply hopelessly mucked up.

8. Jun 14, 2009 #8 of 260
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    There really isn't much in the midwest, I'd rather live on the coast....
    The midwest is like 50 years behind the real world....

9. Jun 14, 2009 #9 of 260
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Actually, Ohio (and most other parts of the U.S. are the real world -- unfortunately, it's the 'left' coast that, IMO, is not real.

10. Jun 14, 2009 #10 of 260
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem is folks like to think California is really a set for a 24/7 series on social experimentation, even people who live here.

Actually, it is a real part of the U.S. that once claimed to be the world's 6th or 8th largest economy. I believe that huge economy in the next six months will experience a real financial crash that will impact those who don't live here almost as much as it will impact those of us who do. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

11. Jun 14, 2009 #11 of 260
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    California and Florida have been hit especially hard in this economic recession,Many from Florida have moved north, many have landed in east Tenn. and North/South Carolina.

I've run into people I know from south Florida who have lost it all.

12. Jun 14, 2009 #12 of 260
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Wanna buy a real nice house in Florida? ;)

13. Jun 14, 2009 #13 of 260
  14. Jun 14, 2009 #14 of 260
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Yeah, Kookifornia is pretty much all fake and fantasy. They don't call part of it LaLa-land for nothing.

15. Jun 15, 2009 #15 of 260
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    OK, pull up your Google Earth programs.

I like to remind people that the California-Oregon Border is roughly the same latitude as Kenosha, WI and Cape Cod, MA and the California-Mexican Border is roughly the same latitude as Shreveport, LA and Savannah, GA.

While San Francisco and Richmond, VA are at approximately the same latitude, where I live roughly lines up with Philadelphia while LA lines up with Wilmington, NC.

I don't think folks in Wisconsin and Louisiana share an identical culture nor do I think folks in Massachusetts and Georgia feel they share an identical culture. The same holds true in California. Eureka compared to "The OC" are different worlds.

Incidentally, I believe California should be three states and have a web site advocating that. But that tends to get lumped with kooky political ideas.

16. Jun 15, 2009 #16 of 260
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I think it should be an island in the Pacific ;)

17. Jun 15, 2009 #17 of 260
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    California, the great granola state. Land of fruits, nuts and flakes. Every time I hear about the stupidity of things that go on here in NY, I put it in perspective and say to myself at least I don't live in California. This state actually wouldn't be so bad if that cesspool called New York City would secede from the state and become their own entity.

18. Jun 15, 2009 #18 of 260
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, let's try to have a bit of respect for residents of California.

<-----

19. Jun 15, 2009 #19 of 260
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Agreed Stuart.

There is no need to bash your fellow citizens. We are -all- Americans.

I have lived in California my entire life. Many of you know I am an avid RVer, so I see a lot. I have never seen a reason to bash another area just because they might live different than those I live around.

The topic was people leaving CA, not bashing it.

20. Jun 15, 2009 #20 of 260
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Can we pick on Texas????
    Or everything south of the Mason-Dixon line???? :lol:

Just kidding Stu.