*** RF-Remote antenna connector type ***

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by rms8, May 31, 2014.

1. rms8

rms8 New Member

May 31, 2014
    Hi All!

I am trying to find out what sort of connector the Hopper uses for the RF remote control antenna. It definitely isn't the industry standard F-type. I read somewhere that it might be something called an "M10" ???

I am trying to extend the range of the RF remote control so it will work on a TV located two stories up and at the opposite end of the home. I took an RG6 (~ 10') and monkey-rigged it onto the antenna and to the antenna port on the Hopper. It worked (well, somewhat), but I need to terminate both ends of the RG6 with the proper connector; hence, my question as to what sort of connector it is.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

FYI: It works if I am closer to the bedroom door, but from the bed, it is hit-n-miss, emphasis on miss....maybe need an rf (uhf) amp or better antenna?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  3. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    The Hopper remote antenna uses an M10 connector. There are M10 extension kits but I haven't found anything that converts the standard F-connector to M10 yet. The UHF 2G uses 2.4GHz ZigBee technology. So the ideal antenna length would be 1.23 inches, 2.46 inches, 3.07 inches or 4.92 inches. Longer is better, but they need to be those exact lengths for optimal performance. You could buy Dish's extender (P/N 169178, ~$10 I believe,) cut off the other end and attach a standard F-connector. Then you can extend the antenna in the same manner as the 722.

Extending the Joey's antenna would take some soldering and warranty voiding, as its remote antenna is internal.

1 person likes this.
  4. rms8

rms8 New Member

May 31, 2014
  5. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Dish, and possibly other places online.

6. lonerwulf

lonerwulf Mentor

Jul 9, 2012
    Why would u want to?