Rg-11 cable run

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Randy C, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Hi there, I am trying to figure out a solution to my problem of having too many trees in the way of acquiring a satellite signal for TV and internet. I was originally thinking of doing a fiber optic setup for the 600 feet or so that I need to bridge from the house to the dishes, but that won't allow the LNBs to be powered and now I am thinking of trying rg11 cable instead. Will rg-11 be able to run 600 feet or so with out amplification? I have looked at a few charts online and am thinking I will have about 30 dB of signal loss for that run, but don't know what that translates to on my TV or computer screen.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm assuming you are running a single RG11 to a dish with a SWM LNB? Looks like RG11 would lose around 5-6 db per foot at SWM frequencies, so you'd need to make up around 30 db like you said, which is easily doable with an amplifier. Make sure you get solid copper center RG11 to minimize voltage loss, and use a PI29 29 volt power supply and you should be good to go.

Here's an amplifier with 28db gain, which should be plenty. Sonora SWM Extension Line Amplifier (LA281RT) from Solid Signal

Randy C likes this.
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I know NOTHING ABOUT THIS TYPE OF STUFF.
    I read the specs, description, etc and it says it is good for 400 ft of RG11 and the OP is going to be 600 ft.
    Will this still work ? Will he get the extra footage by using the 29v PI in place of the 21v ?
    Thanks

Randy C likes this.
  4. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks for your replies !

I was wondering about the power supply as well. Forgive my shoddy internet searching (I only have internet access on my phone during lunch breaks from work) but I was wondering if I could use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Sa...149400&sr=8-3&keywords=in-line+coax+amplifier or something similar. I didn't know if I would be able to get enough power to the LNB after this thing stole supply to power itself or not. I was hoping to not have to supply power to anything out in the field now that I went away from the fiber optic system I was building. I was told that running SO cord would be an issue due to phase loss at that distance (?) so I had planned to buy a solar panel/battery/inverter setup to supply the power, but now that all seems a bit much and was hoping for a better (read: cheaper) option.

5. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Also, since I am having the same problem with tv and internet, I believe I'll need to run two separate cables, one for the net and one for the tv. Will I need 2 amplifiers to do this, or would that Sonora be able to do both lines?

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I believe you can connect to the internet in the cabin, unless you are going to get satellite internet which I know nothing about.

I put 1 of those small amps inline on my TV antenna and it did next to nothing.

7. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Yeah I was afraid that looked like a too-good-to-be-true device for sure, especially after seeing what slice1900 posted up. Unfortunately, my house is in a cell tower dead spot as well, so yeah, it'll have to be satellite internet too, which sucks bad for a gamer. No more FPSs for me.

I've been seeing that there appears to be some differences between satellite tv vs. satellite internet hookups, so that has me worried but I don't know enough to know what to be worried about. Still unsure how I'm going to run power as well, unless I have to go with the solar option, in which case that shouldn't be an issue. I'd rather just run the SO cord though since I'll already be running the rg11 through conduit.

8. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The difference between satellite internet and TV is huge. First and foremost, you are also transmitting back to the satellite. There is no way to combine TV and internet on one coax. When I last used sat internet (10+ years ago) it required 2 coax to the dish. I would talk to the internet installer and see what will work. As you are transmitting back to the sat there are FCC regs over what you can do and who can do it.

Regarding the power, forget the SO cord. I would run a second conduit and for that distance probably a 10 gauge or at least 12 gauge to prevent excessive voltage drop

Rich and Randy C like this.
  9. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Ok, so I was informed correctly then, at least so far as basically an extension cord not working. So my two options seem to be more conduit and bigger power line, or back to the fiber setup, which is considerably more expensive and complicated. Obviously I'm going to go with the rg11 since it will be cheaper, but I was curious if there were any copper to fiber converters out there that would also work to supply power to the 2 LNBs? That was the main hang-up I had with going fiber, there didn't seem to be any way to power the dish since they all take power from the rg6 nowadays.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    skip the idea - it has not feasible solution (convert DC to high-power light emission, then the light to DC ?)

11. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I agree you're probably right, but what I was thinking was a solar panel setup charging a deep cycle battery or two (however many are required), then using a true sine wave output inverter to power the copper-to-fiber converter. I was wondering if the input power for the converter could also be used to power the LNB through the rg6 connection before the signal ever gets converted to light for transmission.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you must properly count an energy balance ... not sure if it really will work if your weather not allow charge batteries 360 d/year
    imagine, no sunlight goes for a few days - any batteries will be drained

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It says it offsets 400 ft of RG11, meaning that 600 ft run turns into a 200 ft run which is a bit long but not an issue at all. Sonora tends to be rather conservative in their specs, I think 28 db would offset almost the entire 600 ft but it depends on which loss numbers for RG11 you believe - if you google you'll find a range of loss numbers provided. Who to believe?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  14. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Set it up like so:

dish <-> 600 ft span <-> amplifier <-> PI29 <-> splitter -> your receivers

The amplifier will be powered by its included power supply plugged into its dedicated power port, and the PI29 will power the dish's LNB through the amplifier and 600 ft RG11 run (if you make sure it is solid copper)

Randy C likes this.
  15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Satellite internet is two way, amplifiers won't work. Your best bet there is to locate your satellite internet router next to the dish, and run cat6a to deliver ethernet back to your house. Regular ethernet is limited to 100 meters due to timing, so you need something that runs modified ethernet to exceed it. Fiber would also work, but I think a pair of these would come out cheaper:

LONGSPAN-Point TO POINT ETHERNET & POE EXTENDER BASE - Newegg.com

That also does PoE - it will deliver 25 watts at 600 meters using their power supply. If that's enough to power your satellite internet dish and router, great. It might do more than that since you're 600 feet not 600 meters, you could contact the vendor and ask. Otherwise you'll need that solar/battery system.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    After reading the posts here to help you get what you are asking for,
    how about putting a chain saw to work and clear a spot closer to the cabin ?
    If you go there twice a year for a week, why go to this effort to watch TV and play games, you can do that at home ?

Rich likes this.
  17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been using one of those amplifiers for years. Had a problem with MRV and a good friend suggested trying one from Solid Signal. Hooked it up and the problem went away. Not expensive and easy to install.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd think you'd be better off with separate amplifiers. The amp I use has four ports for coax, which I needed to feed a second cascaded SWM16. Not sure if an amp like that would work for you. Call Solid Signal and ask them what you need, they were very helpful when I purchased the amp.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd have those trees down in a heartbeat. Less trouble, the path of least resistance is the way I always go.

Rich

20. Randy C

Randy C New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    This house is actually our dream home that we'll be living in for the next 30 years, not a simple cabin in the woods... :D

jimmie57 likes this.