1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridiculously loud DirecTV Commercials

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Stoodo, Feb 1, 2008.

Are the Directv commercials too loud?

1. Yes. The commercials are way too loud.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No. Quit your whining. We like our commercials loud.

155 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 1, 2008 #1 of 39
    Stoodo

Stoodo Mentor

Jun 17, 2006
    Is there anyone else getting tired of the Directv commercials that come on at literally twice the volume of the show you are watching?

It is bad enough on regular shows, but the sports packages lately have been extremely annoying.

2. Feb 1, 2008 #2 of 39
    gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Yup. My wife cannot stand them. But how have you ensured and guarranteed that the problem is directv and not the channel itself? I voted YES for loud commercials, but am curious why and or how you can put the blame on Directv. Simply saying it is so does not make it so.

Or are you saying the comercials for Ditectv advertizing it's services are too loud? If so that is hilarious. All the comercials are way too loud compared to the main broadcast.

3. Feb 1, 2008 #3 of 39
    Stoodo

Stoodo Mentor

Jun 17, 2006
    One example tonight, I was watching the Pistons game and Directv cut all the local channel's commercials and put their own in. Who else's fault can it be?

Simply questioning what I say does not make me wrong. Thanks for writing. ;)

4. Feb 1, 2008 #4 of 39
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I have the 'StableSound' function on my ancient TV. All my commercials are at the same volume, no matter what they do to them.

Evidently new TVs don't have this, because you can't do it with 5.1? I think that's what someone posted on another thread about this same subject.

Too bad...

5. Feb 1, 2008 #5 of 39
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It's not just direcvt's commercials though... I think providers should be forced to out put all signals at a consistent db level.

6. Feb 1, 2008 #6 of 39
    sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    Haven't you guys learned how to use your DVR? That's why I have a DVR, so that I never have to watch or listen to commercials!

Commercials have always been loader. That's what commercial producers do to get your attention. The FCC has regulations on how much loader they can be but many violate these regulations. DirecTV has nothing to do with it unless it is their add.

Another cause can be that the program is DD 5.1 and the commercial isn't or vice versa. This can cause the sound level to change. I believe there are some AV receivers on the market that can detect and adjust for these differences.

7. Feb 1, 2008 #7 of 39
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'm glad someone else has noticed this.

I voted, Hell, yes!

8. Feb 1, 2008 #8 of 39
    Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    All commercials are too blasted loud.

I guess that they want to make sure you to hear it while you are in the kitchen getting a drink/munchie.

9. Feb 1, 2008 #9 of 39
    leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    Exactly the same thing occurs on my antenna hooked to my tv tuner, it is not Directv. Advertisers want their commercials to be louder to be noticed.

The FCC used to regulate how many Db's above program level the commercial sound level could be. I suspect the regulations were based on mono or stereo or total sound level and simply have not caught up with the wonderful world of Dolby Digital yet.

I have found the mute button on my remote to be very effective at controlling this problem on live TV.

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    But some, including DirecTVs, are a good 8-10 dB louder than others. On a system with good dynamic range, that's a ton. 10 dB is twice as loud. It isn't unusual for a specific commercial to be 5 dB louder than the others. That happens all the time.

This is why God made compressors...and He should smite those heathens who aren't using them.

11. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    gotta love that FCC. They should be the ones making sure that the commercials are at the same volume as the program being watched. :nono2:

The one way to get me *not* to do something is to yell at me.

Vote = yes

12. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    I had same problem with the audio level and gave up on digital audio and went with analog audio for normal TV watching and got the Terk VR-1 volume regulator. This is an amazing little device that I have been very happy with. You can get on eBay or online stores like Crutchfield.

13. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    It's not necessarily that the commercials are louder. We just perceive them that way because they have no dynamics and are compressed. Here's a short blurb from the sci-fi channel's faq (http://www.scifi.com/help/channelfaq/):

14. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Icon

Jun 29, 2004
    Thank God for the mute button. :)

15. Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim AllStar

Mar 9, 2006
    Forensic Files on the tru Network is really bad about this. You turn it up to hear the narrator, then they go to a break and BOOM! It has brought me to profanity more than once.

16. dogs31

dogs31 Godfather

Feb 27, 2006

Especially when a paid political ad that has Hilary in it comes on. :lol:

17. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Actually 1 db is defined as the amount you can hear, and 3 db is doubling. How can this be? It's a logarithmic scale. (The Decibel.)

I may be wrong, but in my observation this problem has gotten much worse in recent years. The use of audio compression has been around for years, but the peak levels I am now hearing on some commercials when compared to program content far exceed what is supposedly allowed. For people who live in apartments and wish not to disturb their neighbors, this has become a real issue. Then there's everybody else who's just tired of it.

This is so easy to measure empirically that I'm surprised some consumer organization hasn't taken this on as a project and burned the FCC's fingers up to the wrists. This has gotten to be as much of an everyday annoyance as were unsolicited telemarketing calls. It would be interesting to compile a scientifically accurate list of the worst offenders and publicly "vote them off the island" in a "Hall of Shame" list. Dealing with local advertising could be more problematic, but could be done.

The FCC just needs to enforce the rule with fines. Once they hand out a few "speeding tickets," things will go back to the way they used to be, which was none too good.

18. mitoca

mitoca AllStar

May 31, 2006
    It's aweful if you are watching a show with soft dialog that has to be turned up to understand, then cut to commercial & wake up the kids. I often hit mute, which I hope defeats the purpose of them cranking them up. Or, if I'm watching off the DVR, sometimes I'm not paying 100% attention & don't remember to ff through the adds. But when it yells at me like that, it reminds me to skip ahead. They're digging their own grave.

19. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Actually, thank the first person that thought up the DVR and the FF button. :D

(I very seldom watch live TV any more.)

On a point of amusement, remember when the first DVR’s cut out the commercials? How do you think they knew that it WAS a commercial? They watched the volume.

20. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Don't confuse dB and dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level). They are two separate things. dB SPL is an absolute scale. dB is a relative one.

Yes, 1 dB SPL is technically the smallest volume you can hear. A library is considered somewhere around the range of 60 dB SPL. Your average office is maybe 75-80 dB. A symphony orchestra can get up to 100 dB SPL or maybe a little louder, depending on how close you are sitting. Your average bar band on a Wednesday night? 110 dB SPL. Make that bar time on Saturday and they'll be up to 115 dB SPL at least. The threshold of pain is usually considered 120 dB SPL and prolonged exposure at that level can definitely cause hearing damage.

Generally speaking, a 2 dB volume increase is the smallest you can hear. A stereo is playing and it is turned up just a little bit louder? That's probably a 2 dB increase.

A 3 dB volume increase is a doubling of amplifier power (wattage) and is a reasonable volume increase. It is not nearly a doubling of volume, though. That is 10 dB.

As long as we're running the string, a 6 dB increase is two things. One, it is a doubling of amplifier voltage. Two, is is one more bit in our normal 16 bit audio and video digital stream. A CD is playing and you turn it up 6 dB? You've just gone from something along the lines of using a 12 bit digital word to an 13 bit long one.

Getting back to the discussion, a 5 dB volume increase is a very noticeable volume increase. An 7-8 dB one is enough to make you want to turn it down every time. The DirecTV ads are at least 5 dB louder and there are other TV commercials that get up close to a 10 dB volume increase. Those suckers are loud!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.