Ridiculously mad at DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by trekologer, Aug 28, 2016.

1. trekologer

trekologer Legend

Jun 30, 2007
    tl;dr: Installer is a no-show. Appointment is rescheduled without my knowledge. Customer service agents have their hands tied due to policy.

I've been a DirecTV subscriber for over 10 years. We moved this past week and had an appointment to install at the new house on Saturday afternoon, window is noon-4. I receive an email confirming the time/date a couple days ago and an automated phone call Saturday a little after noon re-confirming the appointment. 4:00 comes and goes. I call DirecTV to find out where the installer is and find out my appointment is now rescheduled for Tuesday morning.

The rep says he will put in a ticket and the local dispatcher will call me back (timeframe unknown). I tell the rep that isn't good enough and I need a definite answer right now. The rep says they are no longer allowed to make outgoing calls (such as to the install dispatch) without special authorization. I ask to speak to the supervisor. Suddenly he can make the call but while on hold I get disconnected.

After several minutes, no one calls me back so I called back in fully prepared to cancel my service. The agent apologizes and throws me some credit but he cannot get the appointment honored.

I had Verizon Fios installed for internet access. I received an email on the morning of the appointment narrowing down the timeframe the installer will arrive and about 30 minutes prior, get a call he is on the way. He shows up on time, does what is needed, and the service works--the complete opposite from DirecTV.

2. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Then get Verizon FIOS tv. Unless you MUST have Sunday Ticket, Verizon is not bad. I have both Directv and Verizon TV with TiVo (I love TiVo !). You will save a bunch of money by bundling with Verizon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Calling "dispatch" from a CSR standpoint is almost impossible as the CSR would have no clue of who to call as they are some many fulfillment centers for DIRECTV work orders and hundreds of companies. The procedure is as she did, summit a ticket called and FSR or field service request, the system in turn knows where to route the thicket according to who ever the job is assigned to. Once the dispatcher or office gets the ticket they are supposed to respond in I believe either 15 or 30 minutes. But sometimes the dispatchers are so busy that this goes unnoticed.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I get that there lots of installers out in the field. But you just said the system knows who the ticket is assigned to. So why can't the CSR know?

Too many times when there has been a missed appointment, the customer rarely gets accurate or timely information as to what is happening.

5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I think the thing is like the cable co's the techs are overscheduled and have to blow off jobs to fit as many as they can in to one day.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IS a lot easier to set up a work flow to send an email according to some predefined criteria then to having to find out what area a tech is working at, then narrowing down which dispatch office is assigned to that tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Something that surprised me, pleasantly, with my Dish install last week, was how they handled the updates. Constant text updates, and then the day of the install an hour or two before the time (it was scheduled noon - 4, then the day of narrowed down to 12:00 to 1:15) I was able to look at a Google Map with a Dish Truck symbol and could literally watch him driving to our town and to my house. Even saw when he stopped at a gas station! When he pulled in I was standing outside waiting for him to pull up.

Very cool.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think a call from the installer explaining the situation and the install being missed before the end of the original window should have been accomplished. If you communicate people have an easier time with problems. Could have worked this all out instead of making him call to find out what's going on. Wait till it's past and it's ridiculous.

9. employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    This is yet another reason why you should schedule these appointments as the first morning available. Can't blow you off if you are first.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The hell they can't. And just because you have an 8-12 doesn't mean you're going to be first.

I had a 8-12 appointment. 12:15 no installer. No calls. No nothing. I call DIRECTV. "We'll check and have somebody call you back in less than 30 minutes." After an hour, I call back. Then I get that my installer went home sick, but another guy is coming and will be at my house by 3pm. 3:15 No installer. No Call. No nothing. Call DIRECTV. Another 'we'll call you back.' When they didn't, I called to find out the installer was buried trying to handle his and the other guy's calls. Had to reschedule for another day. One work day missed and nothing accomplished.

Two days later. 8-12 install. 11:55 the guy shows up. Left at 8:20 pm that night and had to return at noon the next day to finish. But that is another story for another thread.

8-12 MIGHT mean you'll get yours done that day, but when I have an 8-12 now, I tell the office I'll be out all day.

11. trekologer

trekologer Legend

Jun 30, 2007
    Had they called and said they're not going to be able to make the appointment, I would have been annoyed. The fact that no one showed, no one called, and the rep initially suggested that I must have rescheduled is what really threw me over the edge.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the tech can't call if he does not know he is going to your house.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

13. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    What probably happened is the tech called into the IVR and put your number then rescheduled the call. As a CSR our hands are COMPLETELY tied when it comes to that stuff. If it's rescheduled or put on hold then that's it. We send a FSR to the HSP and hope for the best. We can only do what the system allows.

The reason for the FSR stuff is so people aren't on hold while we are holding for the HSP.

Sent from my LG K7 using Tapatalk

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Translation?

15. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Tech called in and rescheduled the order. We can only send a field service request to the local office for them to get back to the customer. However if the work order has been rescheduled even that won't really go anywhere. It's a sucky situation and the worst calls to handle because you get someone, understandably, mad at you for something you didn't do and can't fix.

Sent from my LG K7 using Tapatalk

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Thanks. Having been stood up by an installer more than once in the past 18 yèars, I can imagine those calls can be dicey.