1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Pontiac

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Steve Mehs, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
  2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    One of many steps I suspect we'll be seeing at GM and Chrysler like this.

3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The days where the different GM brands were actually different products ended in the early 1970s. Every 5th Chevy gets Pontiac trim pieces and is directed to a different retail network. The actual costs at the design level to GM of having a "Pontiac" are tiny.

This is about the dealers. The problem is that most states have complex, and dealer controled, rules about manufacturers' relationships with dealers. GM paid millions in damages over Oldsmobile. A bankruptcy, however, trumps all of these laws and lets GM rationalize it dealer network.

4. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I'm pretty sure all the Pontiac dealers in my region sell at least one other nameplate, and that is almost always GMC. Buick would have to be the runner-up. In some cases, they also sell non-GM vehicles.

So if nearly all these dealers sell other brands, it stands to reason most of them could remain open. So how does this translate into a significant savings?

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The theory is that GM is competing with itself by having various dealer networks selling the same products. It wants to eliminate the overlapping brands and also eliminate a lot of dealers, such that you, the customer for a Chevy have petty much one and only one local place to buy a Chevy.

GM's idea of a perfect system (legal and other restrictions will never get it there) is for two sets of dealers:

Chevrolet - With Chevy being ordinary cars and trucks for ordinary people. Some, not all, Chevrolet dealers would have the rights to market the Corvette.

Buick-GMC-Cadillac - With GM trying to expand Buick's current oldster image to being a near luxury car for more market segments; GMC being, as today, simply a rebadged Chevy there to provide a truck brand for those dealers; and Caddy (which would not be present in some smaller town Buick-GMC dealers) being the luxury car.

Ford, of course, want to do what it has already done in Canada, with Mercury being simply a "sub-brand" sold as an upmarket Ford at Ford dealers, and Lincoln being the Caddy competitor, also sold by most Ford dealers; Chrysler envisions all three of its brands together in one network as well.

6. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    I cant believe they are saying Pontiac is performing poorly when their yearly sales reports show that Pontiac is out selling Cadillac, Saturn, Hummer, Buick and Saab almost 2:1 in most cases. In fact Buick is one of the worse selling vehicles but they are keeping that brand! Interesting!

7. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    GM is looking at worldwide sales -- not just North America sales. I hear that Buick sells very well worldwide.

8. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    When GM eliminated the Oldsmobile brand, there were two dealerships in my city, both were standalone facilities that exclusively sold Oldsmobile (although the owners had dealerships elsewere that sold other makes).

One of the former Olds dealers purchased the Audi franchise from one of the local VW dealers for his former Olds location, and the other shut down his Olds facility, excecpt for the body shop. The showroom sat vacant, and was eventually torn down. The lot has been used from time to time to store overflow inventory from his other dealerships.

I can see where GM can eliminate some internal competition by eliminating Pontiac, but with so many of those dealers already selling at least one other nameplate out of those locations, I'm not sure it will eliminate many dealerships, except maybe some of the more marginal ones.

9. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    My Junior year in High School... worked all summer for this car.. I have very fond memories... the Pontiac Judge 69-70

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    What was your summer job? Drug dealer?:p

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Actually, I was a mechanic, but due to the illness of my boss (and owner of the center) I was working 1.5 shift days 5 days a week and a regular shift on the weekend... I was hourly so I was making pretty good money BUT...

I was also doing something slightly illegal:lol:

My boss had the police contract for dealing with wrecks involving tractor trailer rigs. We had this gigantic twin boom wrecker for this purpose. We had a day shift driver, but he didn't want to handle night time calls... the boss usually handled them... so I did the night calls. I got to keep any money from those calls and I averaged about 3 per week and generally made about $250 per call. I had a lot of interrupted nights sleep. It was also technically illegal because I was not 18.

The other thing that made this easy was due to the work schedule I had no life... and spent very little!

12. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Here come da judge!!! ;)

13. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    A good friend of mine works for GM. Buick and GMC will be gone before long.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Friday's Bloomberg story disagrees with your friend:
    It's a little hard for me to imagine GMC trucks not being profitable in the long run though I suspect that somehow Chevy/GMC light trucks will quit competing with each other.

Buick is a strong Chinese brand with a partner. From Motor Trend:

I can't see me buying one, but the target market lives a ocean away from me.

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    GM selected Buick as its Chinese brand name because "Buick" phonetically sounds out to something like "happy-good" in Chinese. The cars are made in China and have no real relationship to the US brand at all.

16. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Maybe I'm getting older, but I really like Buick designs these days. I hope it sticks around.

GM could do well with (from entry to upper level...) Chevy, Buick, Cadillac. Perhaps keep Pontiac as a niche badge. Then sell off everything else.

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Cadillac should never go away, it's a luxury brand, Hummer has a niche, Saturn will more than likely be gone, Buick is a big seller overseas and I don't know enough about Saab to comment, so it only makes sense for Pontiac to go away. Pontiac offered nothing really unique, just rebranded Chevys with a sportier trim, and some of the most ugliest vehicles on the planet like the Vibe and Aztec. I think Buick should go, but being a brand popular in China and for old foggies in the US, it's here to stay, they're down to three models and the Buick Enclave is a twin cousin to the, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, and Saturn Outlook. I did however like the Rainier better then any of it's twins.

18. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Cadillac may be low volume, but it's high profit. Plus Cadillac's CTS coupe is an amazing vehicle that could run with some of the top cars in the world. I used to think Caddy's were just plain ugly but the new design themes (and their FINALLY modern interiors) are very sharp.

Going back to Buick, I really liked the Invicta concept. (attached...)

Attached Files:

19. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yes, I do agree, but where are the signature Buick portholes?
    Will Invicta buyers have to swing by AutoZone to get theirs?

20. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Hummer - a loser in the USA: (as Steve says, a niche vehicle) appealing to off-roaders and people wanting to make a statement, like folks with pickups or SUV's that have been converted with highjackers, as well as the export market.
    Saturn - there is a group orf dealers and investors that are talking about buying the brand from GM. Still pretty much in the planning stage.
    Saab - You can't help but wonder if the Swedes might try to regain the brand. It's a proud Swedish brand that I'm sure they'd hate to see go away.
    Pontiac - the brand has languished in recent years. Lots of fond memories of GTO's and Firebirds, but nothing really exciting today.
    Buick - although the Buick Lucerne market is mainly older drivers as an alternative to a Cadillac, the Enclave is popular with soccer moms. The LaCrosse just hasn't established itself, but a redesigned 2010 model may be popular.
    Chevy, Cadillac and GMC are the brands that are most likely to survive.