Robin Hood (2018) (HBO Question)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lacubs, Jun 27, 2019.

1. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    this is a weird question Robin Hood (Jamie Foxx) premiere on HBO on Saturday, and the last showing is on Sunday , is that movie really that bad?

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Yes

3. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    thanks guys

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So ... is HBO under obligation to air the movie? Did somebody lose a bet?

Athlon646464 likes this.
  5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    For what it's worth, it looks like the on-demand is available until 7/13 (still a pretty short window).

Maybe F/X or TNT is gonna air it too soon or something...

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok it’s not that bad. Sadly I saw much worse last year.

And hasn’t it been on for a while on HBO?

7. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I liked it, not sure why it was considered "bad". I guess people don't like re-imagining of classic stories, but it was a different twist on it. Seems like it was setup so they could continue with a second movie. I'd watch it.

8. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    It was a Lionsgate release, so presumably it's part of an overall contract they have with Lionsgate. Might get a few more eyeballs on home screens than it did when it was in theaters.

9. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    For whatever reason, Hollywood still seems to think people will care about movies like Robin Hood, King Arthur, etc. I think they apply people's excitement over a show like GoT to other medieval tropes, but they're not remotely the same thing.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    People care, but how many Robin Hoods (Robins Hood?) does the world need?

There is a limit to how many times the same story can be retold. At that point the filmmaker needs to add "a twist" to the story (such as female Ghostbusters, or flipping sexes "Overboard" or "What Women Want"). There are some retellings that add value (such as refilming a black and white classic in color to open it to a new audience) but there are limits. A good remake should be like theater. People who love the original story should be drawn to the theater to see the story faithfully retold with few deviations and distractions. People who don't know the original can be drawn to the theater for something they have not yet seen. The 200th remake of Robin Hood is neither a faithful retelling or something people have not seen. (Ok, not two hundred but certainly too many. When one can have a "top 10" list of remakes of the same story there are too many remakes!)

There needs to be a balance between the faithful retelling and the twist. If a faithful retelling isn't commercially viable then the twist better be good.

RobbinsHood.jpg

11. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I'd watch a Robin Hood that dispelled the "take from the rich, give to the poor" crap. The original story was very clear that Robin Hood was stealing from corrupt government officials and tax collectors and returning the money to the people that it was stolen from. He was also fighting an unjust tyrant.

12. catocony

catocony Cool Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I think it's just a guide issue, mixing up the really really bad 2018 film with the not-so-bad 2010 film. There are a ton of listings for the 2010 film which are really showings of the Jamie Foxx bomb.

As is, I watched the first half hour of the 2018 film. It's horrible, and I deleted it immediately.

13. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    They're listed separately in the On Demand section. I think 2018 (OD) still expires on the 13th.

I also watched the first half-hour of 2018 a few nights back and just haven't felt compelled to watch the rest. May or may not. Probably just let it expire...

FWIW parental info (available in the OD listing) called it "sloppy take on the classic tale"...