Roger Goodell: NFL expects to continue to partner with AT&T-DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Athlon646464, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    From a Story Here:

Mike Florio
    Pro Football Talk

Roger Goodell: NFL expects to continue to partner with AT&T-DirecTV

“Obviously AT&T-DirecTV is a different company than when we struck the deal,” Goodell told Fischer. “They have more platforms, they have more assets. The deal we have structured is a satellite-only deal, and so we’ll continue to talk to them about whether that’s made available to a broader audience through other platforms — either through AT&T or otherwise, but those are things that we’ll continue to have discussions about. But I expect to be partners with them for the next several years at least.”

"Hovering over the entire business model is a resurrected antitrust lawsuit attacking the entire concept of making out-of-market games available exclusively through an all-games-all-season-or-nothing Sunday Ticket package. While that lawsuit could take years to resolve, it potentially will disrupt the league’s efforts to distribute content through means other than traditional broadcast TV, a format in which the league enjoys an antitrust exemption that allows the NFL to require broadcast networks to buy a comprehensive package of TV rights, without cherry picking, for example, all Cowboys or Patriots or Steelers or Packers home games."

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The NFL should really examine the pricing of a single out-of-market team package for like $79 as well as the whole package for $300. Although I wonder who would watch the Cleveland Brown games out-of-market.

AZ. likes this.
  3. ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom Mentor

Aug 21, 2006
    The NFL wants to maximize revenue and viewership. They currently get distribution revenue from CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN, as well as DirecTV for the out of market package. Adding an open streaming out of market distribution deal will have a negative impact on future revenue from the non-streaming distribution deals. None of those distributors will want to pay as much for a diluted product. The NFL needs any streaming revenue to more than offset whatever revenue they lose from their non-streaming distribution deals.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would they do that? Probably the majority of NFLST subscribers do so because there is one out of market team they follow. If they offered a deal like that they'd lose revenue even if they brought in additional fans who didn't currently subscribe. If they ever offer this option I don't see it for less than 50% of the cost of the full package.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I personally don’t get the lawsuit and why it’s allowed. They can do whatever they want with their own product as far as I am concerned. No one has an inherent right to buy it the way they want at the price they want over what the league wants. If that’s the way it works I want my next car to be a Ferrari for $20.

Nothing the nfl does is stopping someone from competing with them. You should have the right to decide how your product is sold (distributed in this case)

cmasia and Athlon646464 like this.
  6. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T and NFL reach a new agreement for the Sunday Ticket while at the same time lumping the rights to carry NFL Network and NFL RedZone into the same deal on their non-DirecTV video services. AT&T just didn't want to have 2 separate contracts with the NFL and is waiting for this satellite only deal to come up for renewal to renegotiate all of the NFL services at one go. I would still expect the NFL ST to be exclusive to D* and maybe they may reach an agreement to test it out through the more expensive AT&T TV.

7. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
  8. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Wow...

9. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The people arguing about how "unfair" ST pricing is and how they should be able to choose what they want to buy crack me up.

Walk into your liquor store, open a 12 pack of beer, take out one bottle and watch what happens when you try to check out.

Walk into your grocer and open a 24 pack of Charmin and take out one roll, and watch what happens when you try to check out.

As inkahauts correctly says, it's the NFL's product, and we have no "rights" to demand how they package it.

10. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    AZ. likes this.
  11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Conversely, how many are superfans who have multiple televisions set up to watch multiple games at the same time. :eek:

Yes, we do. It called how we do (and don't) spend out money.

mjd180 likes this.
  12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    When the next deal comes up I hope they have an option so you can subscribe to NFLST without having to get a full subscription to D*. Hopefully they open up a streaming only option to everyone via AT&T TV.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Currently subscribers are charged the same regardless of if they are following one out of market team or as many as they can.
    While discounts on residential subscriptions are reasonably easy to get, why offer "one team" packages unless sales are struggling and AT&T|DIRECTV needs the extra income? The first step toward extra income would be to stop giving deep discounts to residential subscribers - then do the math: figure out how many existing ST subscribers would drop their "every team" ST package for a "one team" package (lost revenue) vs how many new "one team" subscribers would be won.

What is the benefit to AT&T|DIRECTV? That is the question that needs to be answered.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We don't get to set the price. We just get to accept or reject the offer made.

15. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    all of the other sports where forced to offer one team packages will the courts do the same for the NFL ticket?

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Where's your evidence they were forced to do so, versus chose to do so?

17. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    But we do get to set the price on a macro level.....tell them to pound sand if they overask on price.....would they rather have some cash or none? It costs them essentially nothing for each additional subscriber to ST.

18. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    There's an underlying issue here; a balance with local affiliates. CBS and FOX pay the NFL for the rights to broadcast these games in their local markets. Their local affiliates, in turn, earn ad revenue and for some, it's a huge driver for them in the fall/winter. Given the current setup, the NFL needs eyes on the local affiliate games to help keep those contract values high. You get out of market games in the hands of too many people, and that means less eyes on local affiliates on Sundays.

Personally, yes, I think it'd be great to have NFL Sunday Ticket available in multiple avenues/providers. Just throwing out more things to consider in the conversation.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Or from the NFL side: Can the NFL make more money by getting away from a DIRECTV exclusive contract?
    127.59 million households in the US.
    DIRECTV has 21 million US subscribers.
    So the NFL's reach via DIRECTV is only to 16% of US households. (Yes, commercial accounts (bars) not included.)

I can't see how they won't go to a streaming venue like MLB.TV or NHL.TV has. And I think they both have single team packages (NHL does; not sure about MLB). But with NHL (for 2018-19), all games was $140; single team was $110.

TheRatPatrol and mjd180 like this.
  20. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    That is easy. AT&T loses money on NFLST. It pays more to the NFL than it gets back in subscriptions. The idea being it is a loss leader and drives people to use the service for general TV. If they sold it via the internet or to cable or whatever, the NFL would get less money, not more.