Roku and Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by onan38, Jul 8, 2014.

1. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    In addition to A&E, History Channel and Lifetime there is Showtime Anytime and HBO GO. Of course a subscription to those channels via D* are required to authenticate the apps.

If you have MLB EI and/or NBA LP (currently out of season) you would receive access to the live games/premium content the app has on MLB.TV and/or NBA Game Time apps included with your subscription to those out of market packages.

Those are the only ones I can think of right now that allow you to authenticate with your D* account to unlock the full potential of the apps.

There are certainly many channels that require separate monthly subscriptions or pay per title etc. (Netflix, Hulu+, WWE Network, VUDU, MGO, Redbox Instant, Target Ticket, Amazon, etc.) There are also channels such as FOX NOW, Watch ESPN/Disney/Disney XD/Disney Junior which D* is not a supported provider for...yet.

I believe the PBS, Smithsonian, BYU TV channels have free content.

Also, Pursuit Channel (channel 604 on D*) was recently added to Roku and it's simply the linear channel live streamed and in 16:9 widescreen. I am not sure if the source is sending an actual HD feed yet or not but the picture quality sure looks LOADS better then the SD on 604.

3. WB4CS

WB4CS Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    While not exactly an answer to the original post, I use my Roku often to stream MHz Worldview and NHK News. Those are two channels that D* carries but require a WorldView dish to view. Instead of paying the fee to have a tech come out and install another dish, I went with the Roku box instead.

If you haven't already, look for a private Roku channel called "NoWhere TV". It combines a lot of TV streams into one channel, and I often watch BBC News TV (live stream) on there.

4. ncage

ncage New Member

Jul 5, 2014
    IL
    Definitly good to know since i already have two rokus and will getting my directv system on Saturday.

5. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips everyone i added a few channels today.Wow there is alot of content on Roku just have to weed through all the different channels.

6. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    True. But what I see on ROKU is like pre recorded shows. Not much live TV.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

7. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's true of all OTT streamers...most networks offer what amounts to video on demand through the streamers. A few cable companies (TWC, for example) have apps that support live TV. In the "private channels" list look for NoWhere TV - that app offers a bunch of live feeds from around the US and the world.

8. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I have that channel. It is OK.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app