1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roku or ps3

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Christopher Gould, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1 of 14
    Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    if you had a choice between the roku(any model) or the ps3 for netflix which would you choose.

space in the entertainment center is not a problem, hdmi inputs arent either, and hardwiring to router is easy too.

p/s i have the ps3. just wondering if adding the roku would give me a better experience with netflix.

2. Jun 6, 2010 #2 of 14
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Since the software in the Roku was just upgraded with more features, I would say the Roku.

3. Jun 6, 2010 #3 of 14
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    PS3 for Blu-ray playback as well as Netflix streaming, and other entertainment options.

4. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    PS3 for reasons mentioned +

1. You can use MLB.TV app (if subscriber to MLB.tv)
    2. Better yet - Free Media Server http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Intro -

"PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages."

5. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    [EDIT]

Whoops... I guess I missed that while reading/posting in a moving vehicle.

Researching the Roku HD makes me want one, even though I already have two Xbox 360s, a PS3, and a Wii.

6. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Roku and the new Netflix UI rocks. It too offers MLB channel along with many others. Quality very good too!

7. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    The OP did not say anything about wanting Blu-Ray.

Also, the Roku box is much cheaper.

8. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    The OP said he already has a PS3. No need to buy the Roku unless the OP feels the Roku/Netflix UI is so superior to the PS3/Netflix UI that the Roku is worth buying. I own the PS3 Slim and I am very satisfied with the Netflix UI.

9. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    The Roku has more options than just Neflix. It has Amazon along with many other "channel" options. The PS3 version is quite limiting.

10. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Yup, Roku has many channels. I love the new Netflix UI. No need to load movies in your queue via a PC. All of their streaming movies now at Roku’s fingertips. The search feature is very cool. I use my iPod touch Roku remote app. The app has a built in keyboard. Makes searching for a movie very easy. I also dig the new radio channel. You can get local (and distant) stations via the Roku now. There are even channels that allow you to watch your pics and video via the Roku.

11. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    The OP did not say anything about wanting Amazon.

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    He did not say anything about wanting ANY specific channels. he just asked which device people would choose and people are answering that question with comments on why they would choose each.

13. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    I was paraphrasing Chris from one of his earlier replies. BTW, Netflix is supposed to release an upgrade to the PS3 sometime this year.

Originally Posted by Chris Blount:
    The OP did not say anything about wanting Blu-Ray.

Also, the Roku box is much cheaper.

14. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    For just Netflix connectivity, Roku beats out PS3 right now. It's an immediate "on" when you switch to that box and Roku has the best Netflix interface right now. For long term, PS3 might be the best solution as you already have one, and there will be more updates coming for the PS3, including the possibility of removing the need for the Netflix disc on the PS3 (see this link at hackingnetflx)