1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roku

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by westview, Dec 3, 2012.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I am still trying to hook up my computer to my tv. A guy at Best Buy says I can use a Roku. He said I can hook up the ethenet cable from router to my tv and run an HDMI cable to my TV. He also said I could do this with a Blue Ray. I mainly want to stream ballgames. Will this work? Thanks for any help.

2. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    If you have a Roku, you provide it network access (wireless or Ethernet, depending on model) and it has an HDMI output. You'd run the HDMI to the TV (or your A/V system if you have one.) If Roku lets you stream games, you're done. Roku does have a MLB.tv channel.

Not sure what the Best Buy guy meant by using a Blu-Ray player. Some have streaming options, but this varies.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Not if you are trying to stream DirecTV content.
    If your TV and/or Blue Ray has a Roku client then you can use those for Roku content.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Samsung TVs and BluRay players have an MLB.TV app.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I don't know any Blu rays that stream MLB but if your Blu ray is Internet capable, you can connect it up. I have both.

I know Sony Blu rays can find media on computers in the network and play it if you share out media player.

6. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Oh, and taking advice from anyone at Best Buy is good only for a laugh.

7. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I am an Iowa hawkeye fan. Do to the stupid BTN contract 5 Iowa games were on the BTN.com only. I was able to watch them on my computer. I would like to be able to watch them on my tv.

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I use an HDMI cable from the computer to the TV to stream things. I have 4 Rokus and love them but they don't stream all the stuff that the computer can.