Router Lockup HR20-100 the Culprit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pappascw, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2008 #1 of 15
    pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    I've been having problems with my internet connection dropping off, reboot of the router fixes it. After calling the cable company a few times, buying a new router I unplugged my HR20-100 and haven't had a problem since. What kind of traffic does that thing spew out? Anyone else see something similar. Both routers are WRT-54G's.

Chuck

2. Feb 7, 2008 #2 of 15
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Hey! I've seen this too! I thought it was just something annoying on my side.

I have a WRT-54GS v7 on my wired side and a WRT-54GS v7 (running DD-WRT) on my wireless side. The HR20-100 is plugged into that. The WRT-54GS on the wireless / living room / HR20 side is new. I previously had a linksys gaming adapter there where I plugged in my Denon AVR-3808CI. Never had any problems with the wired router locking up. Then I upgraded my DTV box to the HR20 and needed another ethernet port. Thats when I introduced the HR20 into the mix. Now I randomly get the PC dropped off the router.

Weird :nono:.

I upgraded the firmware on the wired side last night, so I'll see if that fixes anything.

3. Feb 7, 2008 #3 of 15
    dmilam

dmilam New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I wound up disabling UPnP on my WRT54G after adding the HR20-700 to my network. After doing that, my network became stable again.

Dave

4. Feb 7, 2008 #4 of 15
    Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is this just something recent?

i ask because, the other day, I suddenly lost internet connectivity twice, for no real reason(just stopped connecting to websites) and a simple ipconfig /release and then /renew didn't work(the renew timed out and wouldn't reconnect with my router). Rebooting everything(computer and router) fixed it tho. This only happened the 1 night tho and no other times(so far), including a long(3+ hr) World of Warcraft play session.

Now, of course, this could be hundreds of things, but an ipconfig /release and /renew usually always works. I do have an HR20-100 connected to my router. The HR20-100 has been connected to my router for months tho, without issue, so that's why I'm asking if this is only a recent issue, possibly with the new software.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GX4

5. Feb 7, 2008 #5 of 15
    kevin1844

kevin1844 AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    Oh come on. I JUST got off the phone with Netgear and they're replacing my router because of this. Almost every time I shut off both of my wireless connections to that router (notebooks) it drops the internet connection and I have to reboot.

I just turned off uPnP, I wonder if this'll help me too....

Oddly enough, its been happening since around the time I hitched my HR20 up to the network.

6. Feb 7, 2008 #6 of 15
    lucky13

lucky13 Active Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    I had a long-running problem with my Linksys router in which I would lose the internet connection, but the computers could still connect wirelessly to the router--I could get to the router set-up page, but I couldn't get on the internet unles the modem was wired directly to the computer.

Simply rebooting modem, router and pc did not fix the problem. I had to reload the software, reset the router 3 times, and then restore the settings.

Aft first, the problem happened every couple of months, then every few weeks. When it started to happen every few days, I switched to a Buffalo router. It's been a couple of weeks, and no outages yet.

7. Feb 7, 2008 #7 of 15
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew won't fix this problem since the router is in an f'ed up state. I'll try disable the UPnP, but isn't that needed for the media sharing?

8. Feb 7, 2008 #8 of 15
    kevin1844

kevin1844 AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    Disabling uPnP SEEMS to have worked for me. I cancelled my RMA with Netgear. I'll give it a day or so to be sure.
    Thanks for the idea DMILAM. How did you figure that out??

9. Feb 8, 2008 #9 of 15
    pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Disabled the UPNP on my Linksys and my internet dropped off a little bit ago, had to reboot the router to get back up.. Did that work for everyone else? Maybe a coincidence on my end.?

Chuck

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Have you guys updated or check to see if you have the latest firmware on your router?

11. kevin1844

kevin1844 AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    I did. I also went through a ton of troubleshooting with Netgear and it wasn't until I shut off uPnP did it work. That was two days ago and I'm still lockup free. Normally it would have happened 6 or 7 times by now so I'm calling this myth busted... or whatever.

12. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i have the linksys abg router (wrt55??) and all was fine with it for over a year until i added the linksys GA. The GA itself goes out very frequently but i dont DOD a lot so i dont notice it. But it does kick off the DSL every so often. sorta annoying but oh well.

13. bcreklaw

bcreklaw New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    My Netgear wireless connection on my computer has been dropping since I hard wired my HR20-100. It has been a good 4 months already. I constantly had to reboot the router. Been to Netgear forum and found that using a timer to shut down and restart router (reboot) during the night helped some people. It seemed to help for a week and then same problem. Reloaded software and rebooted more times than I care to mention. I figured at some point I would need to get a new router since that must be the problem. If disabling UPnP helps, DMILAM, I owe you a HUGE thank you.

14. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    ok I take this back.. We actually had a cable outage that day. Been up and running solid since making the UPNP change. Guess that did the trick...

15. freerein100

freerein100 Legend

Dec 13, 2007
    Check to see if there is a setting for maximum ports in your router settings and set it at the highest setting. This will allow your router to run more efficiently with the HR20 connected

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.