Rovi purchases TiVo for $1.1 Billion

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Apr 29, 2016.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    It will be interesting to see what the future of Tivo looks like.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Looks pretty grim to me. Their guide will be the first to be destroyed, as Rovi guide data stinks. Rovi already destroyed Windows Media Center and Xbox One guides. They have no idea how to run their own company, much less run another they know nothing about.

Luckily, Rovi keeps losing their idiotic patent cases. Last one was suing Netfilx and Amazon for violating their movie "categories" patent. The judge found that claim to be as stupid as it sounds, something as obvious as organizing movies by category being patent-able.

I hope this ultimately kills Rovi, but it will unfortunately kill Tivo in the process. I guess I'll be selling my half dozen Tivos soon and going back to OTA.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sounds like they fell afoul of the "do it on a computer isn't valid" Supreme Court ruling.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. Well, that's interesting.

Rovi lists Dish & Echostar as customers. Charlie Ergen's not enamored with Tivo as discussed in numerous threads ending with this thread in 2011 TiVo vs. Dish: Settlement reached. Dish to pay $500 million. I guess because "new" Tivo will be owned and run by someone else it won't bother Charlie that he's buying products from Tivo such as this explained in an April 15 news release:

Still, this is a case of "strange bedfellows" created by changes in how "TV" is delivered. Then there was this news release earlier this month:

So I guess Charlie won't be surprised he'll be dealing with Tivo, I guess. [​IMG]