RSN Fee Question Rant

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jeret, May 27, 2020 at 6:30 PM.

Tags:
  1. jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
    My question is who is getting the windfall profits when sports programming is for the most part non-existent. My RSN fee for channels 696 and 698 is $9.99/mo. D* continues to collect this fee when the only programming on these channels are sports reruns and a bunch of infomercials. For those in the know, does D* still pay the RSN's the same amount as when there was normal programming? If they are not, shouldn't us subscribers be getting a cut in the fee or maybe a option to drop the RSN until live sports returns? If the carriers are paying the same amount to the RSN's as before, why aren't they being called out on it. From what I understand, from listening to the leagues/teams, they are losing tons of money because of the loss from TV revenue which to me means, the RSN's are not paying anything to any of the leagues or individual teams. The auto insurance companies can give back a percentage of their fees back to their customers because of less driving so why aren't we getting anything back for the lack of programming which we are paying for. Sorry if this has been brought up in a different thread. I searched, couldn't find it and thank you for letting me rant. I feel better now.

Back to my original question. WHERE ARE THE WINDFALL PROFITS GOING???

Don't know if this includes RSN's but it's something.

AT&T is Giving DirecTV Customers Credits for Sports Packages - Cord Cutters News

Last edited: May 27, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    bnwrx likes this.
  2. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If you aren't watching sports, drop down to the Preferred Xtra package and you don't pay an RSN fee.

3. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    All the pay TV distributors and even Sinclair have stated that the leagues first have to provide rebates to the RSNs first for the lack of games where they failed to meet their minimal quota (whatever that maybe). Then the RSNs will pass those rebates to the pay TV distributors and the pay TV distributors like Comcast and AT&T have pledged to pass on whatever rebates they get to their customers. Sinclair noted this process could be a while in an article a few weeks back.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah nothing has actually been canceled yet from the major big leagues. Only postponed really. It’ll be fall or the start of next season before we might see something.

As an example though if the nba goes strait to the playoffs only some channels will get a rebate not all.

Some money will come back from the nhl. But no idea how much.

Really the big one is MLB. Time will tell with that one...

5. jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
    Thank you for the reply techguy88
    For clarification on my part, D* is sending NBC Bay Area their agreed amount to broadcast the Giants, Warriors, Kings and Sharks games even though there are no live games and then NBC Bay Area is sending their agreed amount to each of the teams mentioned. These teams receive their funds from the RSN and just keep it? From all the news reports I have seen none of the players or team managers or coaches are getting paid. Again, thank you for spelling it out for me. Guess you answered my question. The windfall profits, as of right now, are ending up with the individual team associated with each RSN.

6. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    DirecTV is giving credits for subscription sports

I got a refund for MLB EI

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Only 1 month of canceled games, but nothing refunded for my NHL Center Ice....

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The RSN fee is already a sore point ... when one is paying an additional $9.99 and there are no real sports (not even competitive marble racing) on the RSNs it makes one wonder where the money is going. I assume that the teams and leagues are still getting their rights payments from the RSNs even though they are not providing new content? Lawyers have probably dug through all of the contingency wordings in the contracts.

The right thing to do would be to suspend RSN fees for the past two months and any additional months when the content is not provided. But the financial thing to do is to point fingers up the chain ... DIRECTV is still paying the RSNs, RSNs are still paying teams and leagues. Without ticket revenues they probably welcome any money they can collect.

schmave1 likes this.
  9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    It has been reported that the contracts for RSNs provide for a unspecified minimum of games in each sport to be played over a 2 year period. RSNs are still being paid and a not out of compliance with their contracts and cannot be for at least a year. This is a major reason there has been few cancelations and rather grandiose schemes to play well out the proper season.

AT&T just issued credits for MLBEI customers and "M"LSDK customers.

IMHO, it will be clear in the next two weeks that the greedy baseball players have no interest in playing and then some kind of deal will be announced relative to the RSNs.

10. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    What a naive statement!....Your pissed at multimillion dollar players, but cheer on the billionaires that pay them?

Go look at anti trust laws that make baseball billions and keep their books closed!....Did someone put a gun against their head to sign Mike Trout 400 millions dollars?
    I think not!

b4pjoe likes this.
  11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    EB-ROTVVUAE5fxa.png

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That difference between a mlllion and a billion looks like the "English billion", which is equivalent to our trillion.

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Of course owners (of baseball teams, or any other product) do not pay their employees, their customers do.

Football analogy, but in 1973 the starting QB of the Cowboys made about what a mid-career federal prosecutor made. A solid upper-middle class living. A better time and a better system.

Sorry, but in any sports labor deal it is the owners, as representatives of us all vs. the greedy players.