1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSNs and JIP

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by John W, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 #1 of 32
    John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Would anyone in their right mind believe what I was just told in Dish Network chat that tonight's 9 PM Blackhawks game, available from the start in SD, is being JIP'd in HD at 9:30 because "the provider is not making the HD broadcast available" for that first half hour? I assume it is a Dish issue with so much HD sports programming on tonight. Just tell the truth.

2. Mar 2, 2011 #2 of 32
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    LOL it's actually true in a sense but that is for Canadaian viewers. Rogers Sports net cannot broadcast until 8:30 central time because TSN has an exclusive window agreement with the NHL. Which was 6-8:30

The real reason is Dish continues to hose us with very limited bandwidth for RSN HD channels. So likely Dish had to wait for an early game to end before they can show the late game.

3. Mar 2, 2011 #3 of 32
    slt101

slt101 AllStar

Jun 17, 2010
    I used to get the same answer from Dish that it was the providers fault although when I pushed them for a better reason they actually said that they did not have the bandwidth to do all games in HD. Wait till baseball starts and they still have basketball and hockey still going on, it gets even worse. At least you get your RSN's, here in NY they took MSG off so there is no sports this winter.

4. Mar 2, 2011 #4 of 32
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    lol we got oprah in hd!!!

5. Mar 2, 2011 #5 of 32
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The DirecTV Guide had "Flames @ Blackhawks (JIP)" for the Calgary channel; but the Comcast Chicago channel didn't have JIP listed. First time I've ever seen "JIP" on the guide.

From NHL.com:
    Must have been the Pittsburgh/Toronto game on Versus that caused this to happen.

6. Mar 2, 2011 #6 of 32
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Good grief I guess what I explained isn't credible enough. Nothing to do with Versus.

7. Mar 3, 2011 #7 of 32
    John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    What more could we ask for?

8. Mar 3, 2011 #8 of 32
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Well? Something is better than nothing.;):D

9. Mar 3, 2011 #9 of 32
    bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    No. Not even close. :nono:

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Well CSN Chicago some time does do (JIP) for some FSN stuff.

Also a game on CSN + HD will move over to the main channel (when the game on the main channel is over) with it also still being on CSN + to the end.

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but if there is a WGN game then that exclusive does not blackout to the wgn games. Canadaian WGN is WGN 9.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Both Dish and DirecTV have limited satellite bandwidth. DirecTV has chosen, for good or bad, to use much of their bandwidth for RSNs in HD, while Dish, for good or bad, has chosen to use a similar amount of bandwidth for national HD networks that DirecTV doesn't carry. Obviously, customers of both services would prefer to have everything, but for a number of reasons, that isn't possible, so you have to choose the service that best fits your needs.

If HD RSNs are a priority, then being a Dish subscriber doesn't make a lot of sense. If national HD networks are more important to you (BBCA, AMC, etc.), then being a DirecTV subscriber doesn't make a lot of sense.

Constantly complaining about something that you know isn't going to change is just pointless.

13. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    YAY! and I will keep annoying you until you jump off the Bay bridge.

14. SWTESTER

SWTESTER Mentor

Apr 7, 2004
    We are trying to annoy DISH. :lol: :D :hurah:
    RSN's in HD DISH You are losing lots of subscribers.
    I will switch to Directv for baseball as Frontier has a really good bundling deal.

15. ENDContra

ENDContra Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Similar issue a few weeks ago when Rod Brind'Amours jersey was retired. The ceremony was at 7pm with the game at 8...game was in HD, ceremony was only available in SD. This wasnt a matter of lack of bandwidth (because any game going on at 7pm is still going on at 8)...it was just a matter of not paying attention, as there was no reason the entire broadcast wasnt available in HD

My RSN also produces a lot of college games in widescreen (not HD)...I realize that not being HD should put them low on the totem pole, but when there are plenty of slots available, theres no excuse for not including them...and since FSN framed them for 16:9, it was awful to watch, as the ball was routinely off screen during play.

My contract is up this summer, and Im very much leaning toward switching to DirecTV. I always hear how Dish is supposed to be cheaper, and yet even after you remove the promos, DirecTV still comes out ahead (at least for what I want)...

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    None of us will ever debate that if you want full time rsns you'll prefer direct.

17. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    None of us? Speak for yourself. If you NEED RSN's right now then you need "D", but if you want "E" and RSN's in HD 24/7 then this is a good place to let Charlie know that to many, RSN's in HD 24/7 is a big deal. We know from this venue right here that a substantial number of subs have departed and the RSN issue is mentioned many many times as a primary reason. I want RSN's in HD 24/7 and I'll pay extra for it if it's at least offered. I think many would be in that boat.

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Maybe I should have phrased it as "Yes, Direct has 24/7 HD RSNs and we don't, and aren't likely to for a long while"?

Jeez, Sully, don't jump down my throat.

19. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Sorry, didn't mean to jump. I just don't understand why "D" can give us RSN's in HD 24/7 and "E" cannot. I've heard all the blah blah blah about the national HD channels that "E" offers and "D" doesn't and if you want movies you need "E" and if you want sports you need "D". After years of hearing this malarky it seems that everybody just accepts that as the status quo. Comon, what is different about the infrastructure between "E" and "D"? Does one have more sats in orbit? Why do we have JIP? How is it that when nobody else in playing during a given time period we still are watching a live broadcast in SD? I'm not asking why we don't have RSN's in HD 24/7, I'm asking why "D" does and "E" doesn't. It can't simply be that "E" has more national HD channels.

20. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    First I don't blame anyone who has a priority for full time HD RSN's, or for the Yes and MSG networks to switch to Direct. Because of the sum of what Dish offers to me, though a huge Red Sox fan, I would put up with some games in SD. If I could not get NESN at all, that would be a different story and I would weigh my options.

Second, Yes, it can be attributed to MANY more HD channels being carried by Dish. I didn't even realize how many more till I looked at the Direct site. It is somewhere around 15 more package channels in HD, something like another 10 overall, and that's not counting the Platinum pack from dish which has more than Direct has.
    I do not know how many slots Direct has compared to Dish, but that too could be a reason, it seems Dish carries more international programming.
    At times during the year, Direct of course carries NFL & MLB, but not really at the same time too much also. But I do not know, does Direct carry as many locals? There is alot that goes into why.

I guess my point is, what is YOUR reason why Dish would not offer full time RSN HD?