1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RT now live as SD channel on 321

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mhking, Sep 12, 2017.

1. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Had not previously noticed RT on DirecTV. I'm surprised they aren't running at least a 16:9 / HD feed, however.

Curious to see if there are other international news networks (France24, SkyNews, EuroNewsNBC, et.al.) that we may get down the line...

(Or maybe other nets like Epix?)

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It was added back on August 28th

Don't read too much into it as the start of a trend for similar channels, they're just paying to be on the lineup and replaced an infomercial channel. If they wanted to be carried in HD they could have paid for it like Pursuit did, but the paying channels and their advertisers usually care more about saying they're available on every receiver for all DirecTV subscribers than they do about being in HD.

3. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    New rule "If is available in HD it should be in HD."

mhking and schmave1 like this.
  4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Even if Directv has to pay more for it, and pass that price increase on to you? Even for the dozens of SD channels that are available in HD that you will never watch? Even if you say yes, most don't feel that way and vote with their feet when their bill gets too high.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I wonder how much costs can actually go down when they drop multiple feeds of channels... and if that cost savings might make it easier to get Hi Definition feeds over SD feeds overall for less than what they spend today... that would be an interesting balance sheet to see.

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Depends if they pay more to carry SD & HD than they pay to carry HD only.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Free SD carriage with an HD contract." ?
    Although in the case of RT they are paying for carriage so I expect they would have to pay for the bandwidth for both feeds.

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They would have to become really popular to the point where not carrying them in HD is a dealbreaker for a majority of potential viewers so it's more beneficial for them and their advertisers to pay to be carried in HD instead of being able to say they're on every receiver for all of DirecTV's customers nationwide when selling ads. But in RT's cases no major provider in the US carries them in HD anyway, and many cable providers either don't carry them at all, or only on specific systems where there's local interest.

It also doesn't help that they stream online for free, which puts a wrench in any chance of entering into a deal where AT&T/DirecTV pays them instead. And if anyone wants it in HD bad enough, they can already watch it in HD online or their app. Although the HD stream isn't really that high of a bitrate so you might be in for a disappointment if you care more about the pixel count and picture quality than you do about what's being reported. (Even someone with only 3 mbps DSL can stream it in "HD" with no problem)

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Directv only has the left audio plugged in or something - it's very annoying. I have contacted them about it but I had a hard time convincing the CSR that it wasn't on my end.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I suspect these types of stations may ask that DIRECTV use the feed that will reach the most customers, which of course right now is SD. But in a couple years they may ask DIRECTV to use the Hi Definition feed since everyone will be able to get it when they shut off mpeg2. Actually it will be interesting to see how many of these types of stations do that...

11. schmave1

schmave1 Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    It occasionally strikes me as crazy that it's 2017 and HD is still treated as premium in some respects even though that's been the norm a few years now.

12. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    It's like NewsMax, 16X9 SD. The picture is decent for SD.

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    True. Many SD channels are like this now.

But the audio for RT is still left-only!

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ...

The problem is as with all of DIRECTV's Ku band SD feeds nowadays, everything is confined to a 4:3 frame.

So 16:9 SD must be sent as either 16:9 letterbox or anamorphic ("squish-o-vision") as RT is in. Annoyingly forcing me to switch display formats back'n forth.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I wish it was consistent... there's no reason that they can't send the SD signals properly. Since the few SD channels that I watch are all anamorphic, I just leave it on "original format" - but I hear ya!!

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I would too as well ...

But enjoy some classic TV programs from INSP and now the new FETV SD channel which are not anamorphic and "original" format results in "stretch-o-vision" of course.

So it keeps me switch'in ...

I have some hope the coming SD turn-off in '19 may change things to all HD and eliminate this issue. But the turn-off may only refer to termination of all MPEG-2 SD feeds on the old Ku DBS band.

Thus DIRECTV can simply continue the same practice of 16:9 letterbox or anamorphic with them in MPEG-4 SD on the Ka band or just convert all the Ku feeds to the same, whichever the case.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk