1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Runaway Bride: Guilty of Crime or Innocent Whacko?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 2, 2005 #1 of 123
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Will Jennifer Wilbanks, Runaway Bride, face legal consequences, or is it "Thank God and Greyhound she's gone...", with apologies to Roy Clark.

First missing, then thought kidnapped, Jennifer Wilbanks, 33, of Duluth, Georgia, was scheduled to be married last Saturday at what would have been a large, extravagant wedding in Gwinnett County. She disappeared last Tuesday, four days before the planned ceremony, and was thought by many to have been kidnapped or even murdered. After four days missing, and hundreds of police, family, friends and even strangers searching for her, a simple phone call home finally reveals that it was, at first a kidnapping, and then, just a simple change of heart by an emotionally unstable woman.

Was it premeditated fraud or cold feet? Should charges be filed against the attractive, but anorexic-looking woman for the costs of the futile search? Should allowances be made for the 33 year-old Wilbanks if it turns out her whacked estrogen levels caused her to freak over the pending nuptials (echoes of the "Twinky Defense", here?)?

Gwinnett County DA Danny Porter said this morning that he will not make a decision on pressing charges against Ms. Wilbanks until he talks to her and gathers all the facts pertaining to her disappearance. Porter said he is particularly interested in when she purchased Greyhound Bus ticket and how she got to the bus station which is located in downtown Atlanta, some 30 miles from the suburban neighborhood from which she allegedly vanished.

In case you've been out having a life for the past few days, CNN gave this story wall-to-wall coverage. Catch up on this weirdness about this self-induced disappearance HERE.

What do you think?

"...Too bad my ex didn't get cold feet and take off." - Guy, in Atlanta, as just quoted by Jack Cafferty on CNN.

2. May 2, 2005 #2 of 123
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I think both. She needs to have her fingers slapped, but she shouldn't serve jail time. A similar thing happened in Wisconsin last year IIRC in which a student faked her abduction as well. She received probation and had to reimburse police. I'd say that is fair enough for the situation. Putting her in jail would serve no purpose and would cost tax payers even more. She already has been humuliated enough for a lifetime. She'll never forget what she's done.

3. May 2, 2005 #3 of 123
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Did she file a false police report?

Or was it simply a case of people going all-out looking for a runaway?

How long beetween the kidnapping story and the admission?

If it's all a case of her simply running away, I don't see the criminal case proceeding. If she faked her own kidnapping *before* running away to make it *look* like one, that's different. But the only thing I heard was that she said she was going out for a walk or a jog.

Apparently, a 2500 mile one.

4. May 2, 2005 #4 of 123
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    At least have her pay for the cost of the search.

5. May 2, 2005 #5 of 123
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    DJ, she called in, reporting, at first, that she had been kidnapped. Police in Gwinnett County have expended hundreds, perhaps thousands of man-hours searching for this woman.

Where have you been this weekend, having a life? :sure:

6. May 2, 2005 #6 of 123
    ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    20 years of hard labor (making big rocks into small rocks)....................in an all male prison. :lol:

7. May 2, 2005 #7 of 123
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Dude!

I can't imagine why you brought that up unless that's your idea of "Heaven". :sure:

Sighned: Ben Dover

8. May 2, 2005 #8 of 123
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Community service and get her some help.

9. May 2, 2005 #9 of 123
    ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    She actually filed false statements with the police which is a felony. We had quite a bit of coverage here as well since she was picked up in Albuquerque. Local news was all over it as well as being interviewed on all the networks.

She sounds like she may be pretty messed up. One story had her making the bus reservations a week in advance meaning this was all premeditated.

10. May 2, 2005 #10 of 123
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have had a few weddings cancelled, but none at the last minute. As opposed to the generally held "wisdom" my own observation is that brides are generally much more nervous than grooms. I have been afraid that every petal would shake off the bride's bouquet from the violent trembling more than once.

11. May 2, 2005 #11 of 123
    News Junky

News Junky Icon

Mar 16, 2005
    Both. More innocent wacko than criminal.

All the resources used to find her were BEFORE she personally called 911 and lied about being abducted. Its not a crime to disappear and hang out in Vegas. If there is any liability the legal time line should only apply to what happened after SHE called police. The week everybody was looking for her I think she can't be legally blamed for. From what I understand only New Mexico can charge her for the illegal 911 claim and New Mexico says they will not charge her.

12. May 2, 2005 #12 of 123
    ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Okay, a little harsh I suppose.

Here's an idea. Make her travel around the country speaking to little girls on why big girls shouldn't run away then lie about it. Give her a book deal and let her make the talk show rounds, especially Oprah, to draw national attention to her ibrunnin syndrome before it transmutates into a far worse mental disorder. :D

Actually, I feel sorry for her and especially sorry for her fiancee. The guy's ego is bruised and he's automatically considered the prime suspect and is put through the ringer.

13. May 2, 2005 #13 of 123
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    She actually filed false statements with the police which is a felony.

The question is, is it a felony in Georgia? She called 911 in New Mexico, and gave her ficticious tale at the time to the local police. Those folks aren't pressing charges.

Can she be charged with a false report here in Georgia if it was given only indirectly?

Assuming she can be prosecuted, its doubtful she'll do jail. My guess is a community service stint.

I agree that she shouldn't be charged with all the police effort put in place before she called 911. Its not a crime to run off. Looking at the timeline, she may not have even known there was a large search out for her till friday or so. She was on a bus for two days and thus presumably out of contact with the world.

FYI, I live about 5 miles from Duluth, so it was definately the talk of the area this week.

14. May 2, 2005 #14 of 123
    deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    My vote: probation and a huge fine. She had to realize that people and the police would be searching for her.

Many police offers missed a funeral for a fallen officer.

15. May 2, 2005 #15 of 123
    News Junky

News Junky Icon

Mar 16, 2005
    I don't think calling 911 in New Mexico with a false claim is illegal in Georgia.

A strech IMHO. What's an "indirect call"? She didn't call herself or even ask anyone else to call police. It is reasonable to assume she realized others would call police if she went missing but I don't think anyone would consider her a reasonable person. People are eying the $100,000 reward offer her parents put up to be used to reimburse police but I can't see how you could make THEM liable. They were just as dupped as everyone else. In a dictatorship the person in charge could order her to got to jail and her parents to caugh up cash but we're government by laws. The only legal recourse against her is in the jurisdiction of NM and they've said they aren't charging her.

16. May 2, 2005 #16 of 123
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    IMHO, calling 911 is tantamount to calling the police. Everyone knows it's the number to "police, fire and ambulance/rescue"! When you call, they say "911, what's your emergency?" or some such. You better have a damn good reason for calling. She had no emergency! She lied to a 911 dispatcher! I'd consider them an "authority". I'm sure someone here will give me all the technical reasons why I'm wrong, but this is just my $.02. :rolleyes: Guilty.

17. May 2, 2005 #17 of 123
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Charging her for a crime will cost more money so the best thing to do is have her pay back the money that was spent for this. This woman may need some help or she may just be a brat.

18. May 2, 2005 #18 of 123
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Laverne, I think you missed the point there a bit. News Junky wasn't saying she didn't call the police when she called 911. Rather, we are discussing if calling the police in New Mexico amounts to filing a false police report in Georgia, if she didn't directly call in the same report here.

19. May 2, 2005 #19 of 123
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    But didn't she fabricate the kidnapping story AFTER all the resources were expended looking for her?

I know she vanished on Tuesday and I saw on the news she'd been found on Saturday.

That huge manhunt for her, correct me if I'm wrong, was done before she called the cops in NM - otherwise, why would they be looking for her if they already knew she was in NM?

As I understand it, she called the cops from a convenience store pay phone in Albuquerque. they picked her up, brought her in and she started with the story about being kidnapped. then, after a bit, she 'fessed up and said she got cold feet about the wedding.

This was *LONG* after police in GA said they were giving up the search as they had no leads.

I don't see her 911 call, after the fact, as being the cause of the big search. She ran away on a Greyhound bus and it's entirely possible that she didn't know that SO big a manhunt had been put out.

I wonder if her cold feet was for the marriage (didn't want to live with the groom) or the wedding (14 bridesmaids?).

20. May 2, 2005 #20 of 123
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    DJ, in this day of Amber Alerts, 24-hr news and such, like deraz said, "She had to realize that people and the police would be searching for her." It's not like she's a minor. IMO, she really has no excuse!

Well, I think the fact that NM isn't going to charge her is stupid also. Maybe if they'd been the ones spending all the man-hours, they might see it a little differently. :rolleyes: I was really just answering Nick's original question. ;) HMM...maybe she can be charged on a federal level....

More and more young adults these days seem to be claiming the " :shrug: I didn't know" excuse. Well... "Ignorantia legis non excusat!!" :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.