RUSH to Appear on The Colbert Report

Discussion in 'Recording Alerts (Closed Forum)' started by cdc101, Jul 15, 2008.

1. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    No...not Limbaugh, but the greatest rock band of all time: RUSH (okay I understand there will be some that disagree with me, but it's MY thread, heh heh).

Anyway, this will be there first TV appearance since 1975. Pretty cool (in my book)!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080715/ap_en_ot/tv_colbert_rush;_ylt=AhAE_UTI.dVTlIs7tRfO_1pxFb8C

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm going to move this to recording alerts forum.

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Always on our todo list. In fact because we might watch "the lads", Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, in more rooms that most anything else, we have more recordings of them than anything else. :)

And with RUSH on, I may have to watch closer to live...

Cheers,
    Tom

4. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Coming on in 1 hour (Central and Eastern at least).

5. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Godfather

Sep 27, 2006
    Looks like I missed this, too bad. Oh well I'll make up for it on Sunday when I see them live in Charlotte. :D

6. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    There is one more chance at 8:30PM ET today. :)

And seeing them live is almost always going to be better than via an SD channel from a TV studio...

Have fun!
    Tom

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Enjoyed it, but you can tell that Geddy's voice isn't what it used to be.

Thought the interview was very funny and it was even funnier when Colbert came running out because he thought the song was over.

Too bad they had to break for commercial during the song.

8. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It was of course all scripted for his show, but funny no less. This is one instance I was glad it was not in HD. I like to remember my heroes back when they were young and spry. Never the less, It was good to see a band i grew up with still together and loving the job.

9. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    i would agree with you , having the chance to see them on " a farewell to kings" tour what 30 years ago ......wowowowowowo...kids today dont know they missed,,heehehe

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas

I couldn't tell if that part (coming on stage) was scripted or not. Of course, I've never seen his show before, so I'm not familiar with how he works. At first I thought it was staged, but then the look on his face as he ran back off made me think it wasn't. Then when they went back to him to cut to commercial, he just looked very uncomfortable and kept glancing over like he didn't know when they were going to pause.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I think there was a bit of a mess-up there, but Colbert covered it well.

I liked the beginning of his show on Thursday. It opened with Rush playing the typical, overblown, sustain one chord for as long as you can, drum roll fills, rock 'n' roll ending to a song. As soon as the last note rang, Colbert came into the frame and gave a quick, cold opening to the show, as if they'd been playing for the last 24 hours. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

12. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Oh I disagree...Geddy's voice (although it was a bit rough on the show...and he DID miss a note on the bass) is in better shape than I have ever heard it.

I've seen them twice on this tour (18 times since Power Windows in 1986) and (IMHO of course) think they're all at the top of their game...musically, lyrically, AND vocally.

13. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Are you a columnist for Rolling Stone magazine? :p :rolleyes:

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Since we're talking about the Colbert show, that's the reference I have. And since you state he sounded rough on the show, I'd think you are actually agreeing with me. Not disagreeing.

15. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Yes but...lol

I agree with you, but I wish you would have been able to see him/them with a warm up and an actual concert performance on this tour.

Either way, it was a treat for me to see them on the show we're discussing. :D

16. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Colbert is pretty funny. The funniest I've ever seen him was when he appeared at the White House Press Corps dinner. He was hilarious.

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Scripted or ad-libbed I'm never sure. But he wasn't really uncomfortable; he had the props ready for bedtime at the end of the show. :)

Cheers,
    Tom