1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RV account, DNS etc.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shadough, May 14, 2012.

1. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I'm looking into activating an RV account. I'm on the fence as to go w/ Directv or E*. I'm not currently a D* customer, is that requirement to get an RV only account? Also, in regard to DNS, obviously w/ the RV waiver, instant approval, but is DNS only SD or are the HD available as well and on which bird are the HD feeds? Also, I forget the name of the package, but I recall D* having a nominal package that only included maybe 20 channels (like ABC Family), could I sub to that package and still add DNS?? Trying to keep costs down. And then what is the deal w/ East vs West HD/SD, can one get both? I've heard/read conflicting information.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    With an RV account you should be able to get both coasts SD and in HD if you have the equipment to support it. Someone else can tell you what bird the DNS feeds come from. Not sure if that lower tier family package is still available or not. I can tell you the DNS package is $20 for all of them. FYI CW east and west and the one PBS they offer are SD only but the others have SD and HD for both coasts for the big 4.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    That is old info, it's no longer true, unless your D* RV account is grandfathered, you can now only get the DNS (HD or SD)from one coast and that will be the one closest to where the billing address is.

I missed out on the mandatory opt-in for the grandfathering because D* sent the notice in a plain envelope that looked exactly like junk mail and then only gave 7 days to reply. "Irate" doesn't begin to describe my reaction when I found out how I'd been screwed.

I think the national PBS feed is now HD (ch 369?).

Keith

4. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    PBS DNS is in SD (Channel 389, there is no West feed), as are CW East & CW West as mentioned earlier.
    The 360's and 370's are the religious stations (except the weather TWC on 362).

I have all of the available DNS channels, the 3 SD mentioned as well as both East & West HD for the 4 major networks. (Grandfathered residential account, not RV).

You can order ala carte from any DNS you are eligible to receive, so you can order (and only pay for) just the HD networks, etc., if you choose.

DirecTV DNS told me at least 7 or 8 years ago (and reiterated since), that those 3 SD channels will unlikely ever go to HD.

The reasons given were that PBS strongly fosters local affiliate station access over national, making national based programming available for local affiliate broadcast 24 hours earlier than the national broadcast, and discouraging national carriers from broadcasting in HD.

The reason given for the CW's were based upon DirecTV's assessment that given the subscriber numbers, and anticipating that with the increasing number of CW LIL offered by DirecTV those numbers would decrease, that it would never be cost justified.

The only question that I have for any prospective RV account, is if you have researched the cost and LOS issues? Specifically the dish/roof mount... and I am not talking about an in-motion auto-tracking dome system. If you're rolling around in a half-million dollar RV, then the cost is probably not going to concern you, but a roof mounted system is going to require that you park where there are no trees between your RV and the sky over TX... so it's either shade from the summer heat or reception. Most RV'ers opt for an external coax jack and a tripod or Steren clamp mounted dish, even if they have a roof-mounted dish.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can also buy an AM21 OTA Antenna and with OTA you can get Locals if you have Access to OTA Stations and can receive them where you are located. :)

6. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    True BUT there is a catch.

Suppose you are forced to park your RV in a spot where the satellite reception is unusable due to trees or whatever. Believe me, it happens, many RV parks have way too many trees because they think people want shade.

SO, you think, I'll just use the AM21 and watch local OTA channels.

Well, NO, you won't because the #$%ing AM21 will not scan for channels, and with no satellite, you cannot download the lineup for the new location.

This is the exact reason why I removed two AM21s from my motorcoach.

Keith

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Can't you call ahead and ask them to assign you an RV Lot that has a Clear View of the Sky?

Also, if you have Motosat you will have a similar problem so you have to have a Backup System which will be an A/B Switch so I can then use a Portable Tripod Setup with a 100' run of coax so I can find Line Of Sight if I can't use Motosat.