1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RV Distant Net Waiver Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by garypen, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    1. Does the RV's DMV registration have to be in the same name as the Dish sub? What if the sub is borrowing the RV for the summer, or otherwise has it registered in a friend's or family member's name?
    2. Is a 2nd, separate Dish account required for the RV? Or, is a Dish sub allowed to move a receiver from his residential account temporarily to an RV?
    3. Is the RV waiver automatically granted if the sub meets the conditions? Or, does it still have to go to a local station for approval?
    4. Will the Dish sub lose his home DMA locals, if they get an RV Distant Net waiver?

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    1. I think it does have to be the same.
    2. No, you wont have to get a seperate account.
    3. Yes, if conditions are met you get the waiver.
    4. No, it will not affect your locals, and you will get the distants on all receivers on the account.

3. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I have a large cabover camper I put on a utility trailer I bought.. It was more convieneint to to that than to load and unload. And I have the option of taking any of my 3 trucks. I keep a dish 500 in the camper and have brackets set up to hook it up within 5 minutes. My trailer is registered as a utility trailer... wondering if anyone else had done this and gotten the rv waiver.

4. jerryez

jerryez Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    You should be able to send Dish the registration on any of the trucks and proof of ownership on the cabover camper and get the waiver. The cabover qualifies as an rv. Just write it up and mail it in. Dish will review it and respond.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    i'd say registration of the TRAILER and the camper is what he'll need to send in.

6. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Do trailers have VIN's, or require inspections? How does the DMV identify it as yours? Bill of Sale?

7. jerryez

jerryez Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    Cabover campers in my state do not have registrations, since they do not have wheels. His Bill of Sale is probably all that is required and a copy of the truck registration. I do not believe that a utility trailer would qualify, since cabovers are designed to fit onto a truck.

8. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    In CA, the DMV puts trailer-campers in the RV catagory, and requires registration and tags.

9. Sandman

Sandman Godfather

Sep 23, 2002
    I had to send a copy of my RV registration to dish to get the rv waiver, I have a receiver that I move from home to rv, with a rv waiver the phone line is not required,

Bob

10. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Sandman - Do they actually check with your DMV, as far as you know?

11. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Thanks folks, sorry for the late reply. I usually take either my 6000 or my 501, but sometimes I take my D* reciever. With the hd tivo coming out I may switch the bulk of my programming back to D* and maybe get a waiver and leave one in the camper.

12. Sandman

Sandman Godfather

Sep 23, 2002
    I don't know all I did was send in a photocopy of the state registration which showed the rv serial number and the current license plate number and a completed rv waiver form, in fact they activated me and never told me I had the
    distants, found them by accident when surfing the program guide. I am curious if they will contact me when my current license registration expires in November, I am thinking that one could get a rv waiver, sell the rv and Dish would never know the difference and never turn off the distants.

Bob

13. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Anyone know where the RV waiver form went on there web site, cant seem to find the web page or the form anymore,

did the law change with that Sherva thing (how ever you spell it)?

14. n0qcu

Mar 23, 2002
  15. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Entirely possible. Think about it from E* or D*'s point of view. They WANT you to buy the distant nets. They would LOVE to be able to sell you ANY channel you wanted. It's the frelling NAB and their minions that do NOT want you to have the FREEDOM to watch what you want. NAB & Co. would like nothing better than to stop ALL content (movie channels, "basic cable", specialty, etc.) other than their own.

The DBS companies are HAPPY to be able to provide RV waivers, and will do it as long as they can.

16. waltinvt

waltinvt Godfather

Feb 9, 2004
    Anyone know if you can get one for a pickup truck that has a camper on back ? Since it would only be a standard registration for the truck and not an "RV" reg perse, I was wondering if anyone's tried it ?

17. n0qcu

Mar 23, 2002
    I know someone who did that. They work for a used motor vehicle dealer. They went and registered the RV, sent in the copy of the registration and signed the title back to the dealer.

18. buddhawood

buddhawood Mentor

Nov 3, 2003
    Does anyone know if an RV waiver will get me the CBS HD station as well even though I am not in a O&O area?

19. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm going to try it for my conversion van.

20. waltinvt

waltinvt Godfather

Feb 9, 2004
    Let us know how you make out. I was hesitant about going this route before, but no more. I gotta get away from Dish. I'm so tired of all the lies and BS. Plus, I know if I stay with them, I'll probably end up getting a 921 or 942 and then I'll really hate myself. So if I can find a way to get the 4 HD DNS from "D", I'm gone. Maybe I can sell my 501, 508 & 811 for enough to pick up a HD Tivo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.