1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RVU with HS17 Success?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jstewart0131, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM.

Tags:
  1. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    Has anyone successfully activated and used an RVU with the HS17? I spent several hours on today with various levels of DTV support trying to activate my 2017 Sony (XBR65A1E for anyone who is curious). I previously had my HR44 connected via my gigabit ethernet and the TV also connected via ethernet (No DECA involved) and the RVU worked perfectly. With the HS17, no bueno. The last info, from the "Genie 2 Technical Support Department", they need to send out a tech to do an RVU install. I assume this means adding a DECA to the mix. My gut feeling is telling me that due to the differences in the way the HS17 works, there may be an app update needed for the RVU client and that the DECA is both unnecessary and won't fix the issue

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I have had my Samsung TV connected to the HS17 via the official method with the BB DECA with no operational issues. But I don't like the Samsung RVU implementation with grayish blacks and lettering that looks SD in the menus so I went back to a client.

3. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    also it's very important to provide a version of FW the TV and RVU applet version

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Who installed it? How did it get activated? It will check for deca the first time and if it doesn’t see deca on the path to the RVU tv it will not work. Word is after you get it activated the supported method then it works either way. And that’s in general now, not specific to the hs17.

6. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    The DTV installer setup the HS17 Friday. I asked about getting the RVU setup, but he stated that they don't do them anymore, which isn't true of course. I previously setup the RVU myself in June with the HR44. My TV is running the latest firmware, released June 11 (Build BRAVIA_ATV2_UC-user 7.0 NRD91N.S56 1.6.0.26.48.1.100) and the RVU version is 1.0-228158

P Smith likes this.
  7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would get a DECA off Amazon(they are 10 bucks with prime) and try that

8. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    I'm going to run to the local independant installer in town and pick up a DECA today.

9. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I guess I don't understand the need for a DECA. My Sony RVU worked fine with the HS17 when I first got it via ethernet. I though the DECA was built in the HS17? I guess you might need one if the HS17 is not near your router, but even then you have a wireless option? BTW the Sony 2016 (XBR65X750D) RVU worked fine but I didn't like not having a RF remote. It also suffered with the gray blacks and SD looking menu.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    DECA is built into almost every DirecTV device. The point is the DECA adaptor (using coax for the signal and not straight ethernet) was and technically still is required for a RVU TV.

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It isn't a "need" for DECA, but it sounds like it checks for the DECA when an RVU TV is added to prevent installers from taking a shortcut and installing it via ethernet, which is against Directv's guidelines.

Using DECA doesn't make it work better, but Directv wants installs done that way because they don't want to be responsible for troubleshooting a customer's home network. By requiring the DECA on first install they know it was installed per their guidelines at first when it worked, and can wash their hands of the issue if an RVU TV is using ethernet. I'm sure once they figure out that, the first thing they will say is "switch that to using DECA" before taking the troubleshooting any further. Then they can eliminate any issues with the customer's home network and know it lies somewhere within Directv's equipment or coax wiring, which their techs are trained to troubleshoot/fix.

12. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Do you think that policy would change now that AT&T owns DTV and with a lot of homes having structured wiring in them?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 4:57 PM
  13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I have no idea. Probably depends on AT&T's experience with Uverse in that regard. If it were up to me, I sure wouldn't want to!

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd guess no since there would still be customer provided hardware being used, aka router or switch plus the Genie might be using wireless for it's connection to the users network vs wired which is another car of worms to worry about. Since DIRECTV has shown they do things to reduce their support costs I don't see them doing something that might increase them.

15. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    My Sony RVU used to work until about two months ago. Ever since then, I think it was a firmware update and it is dead in the water. CRs were not able to help, so I dropped the RVU an connected a client.

By coincidence Sony did a software update the same time that DTV updated the firmware. Not sure who caused the incompatibility, but for now, that's a non issue.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you would keep track of FW versions, we would know for sure, instead of guessing now...