RVU with Sony 55X810C

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by lovswr, Aug 12, 2016.

1. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    I just wanted to post a 'win" with D*.

My wife (bless her soul), loves football even more than I do. So much so, that we are turning our dining room into a sports bar. Long story short, 2 C41 genies that I had from last year, got reactivated by Christian (he identified himself as AT&T, after the 12 minute wait when I called) & then to even his surprise, he was able to activate the RVU on the Sony. I say suprise because he was insisting that I needed a "special cable" to activate the RVU which would require a truck roll. I explained to him that the wireless DECA antenna was connected via coax to my HR44-700 & then a long Ethernet cable to the Sony. I did not tell him that I also had a even longer cable connecting the wireless DECA unit to my wired, gigabit home network (nor will my wife ever see that cable mess -bless her soul- as she had already retired for the evening :)). So when I gave him the MAC address of the Sony RVU, he was able to activate it just like the two wireless genies. In fact, the RVU was a faster process than the two D* boxes as they both had to do a short software download before finishing the connecting process.

I must say that for the few minutes of live TV I watched (NFL network, natch), local news, & recording of the Daily Show, I am pleased with the quality of RVU. I know there are many threads about this vis-a-vie 4K, but at least 1080i seems to show no difference thus far. The Sony remote does have a slight delay compared to the genies, but nothing that would be a show stopper. It would seem that the RVU client is running exactly the same software (emulating?) as any other D* box, which is probably a good thing, compatibility-wise.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that DirecTV has, IMHO, delivered value & convenience in this particular RVU setup. Now, to get someone to pull some Cat-6 homeruns before the start of football season.

Below is the Sony XBR-55X810C running RVU flanked by two Vizio M43-C1's. One of which is connected to a wireless genie. Watching preseason game on the NFL Network. As an aside, it will be interesting to compare the picture quality between the Vizios & the Sony after I get them all calibrated.

RISE, FALCONS, RISE!

2. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL

Attached Files:

3. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Hope it works better for you the the XBR-65X850C did with mine, i had to get a mini gene c61k to get it to work right