1. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I see that Samsung no longer offers RVU with it TV line up. Is this true for all manufactures? If true its too bad, I like this setup over a client box.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It appears RVU is no longer offered by TV manufactures. You're better off with a client because support is longer than with RVU.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I vividly remember trumpets about RVU and its use with DTV servers …
    What is a fiasco !

4. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    What MysteryMan said.

5. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Why would a reputable TV manufacturer want a "software partnership" with a company that has trouble making it's own DVR's work correctly?

242424 likes this.
  6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv didn't create RVU, it was created by Jethead. Directv was the only company that used it as a 'server', everyone else wanted to go their own way. Though I suspect under the covers they are all using the same open standard building blocks that Jethead did.

7. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Who created RVU or what building blocks Jethead used have nothing to do with the question I asked.

Again, why would a reputable TV manufacturer want a "software partnership" with a company that has trouble making it's own DVR's work correctly?

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    RVU never really caught on. Probably also too much hassle for TV manufacturers to keep up with the DirecTV software updates.

9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    same with tru2way?

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Paying a Fee to Activate a TV for RVU Currently $7 a month -has always (to Me) Seamed a Waste -Change the TV -Lose the RVU or pay to activate it again. -Pay a Client and $7 Month -Change the TV or move the Client to another room without having to do anything -always made more sense to me.

Of Course over the 20 + years - D* has made deals with other (TUBE) TV MFG's to make set's to interface with Directv -and Just Like RVU -and Perhaps D* -It will all go the way of the DOE-DOE Bird

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you happen to see one of my posts about the missing recordings thing happening again during the Super Bowl? Recorded the game on several HRs and the 44's recording didn't show up on its Playlist and the Playlist on the 44 had no indications of which HR recorded the game. All that was supposed to stop on the new NR, no?

Rich

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They never had a software partnership with DIRECTV. Never. They where making a standard available on their TVs. A standard dtv also was using. Now I believe DIRECTV paid to have a DIRECTV logo on the boxes as well.

It it’s actually the lack of a software partnership that doomed RVU protocol.

The issue for RVU was never DIRECTV’s but always the manufacturers who fail constantly to keep the software in their TVs up to date.

Their DVR quirks is an entirely different issue. That’s really an issue in who is choosing what they think the GUI should look like and how it should act.

13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    The look and feel isn't the only issue. It is poor implementation and abysmal QC. There is no way an issue where recorded programs going missing should take 8 or 9 months to fix.

P Smith likes this.
  14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    While I don’t disagree I blame the guy in charge not the programmers. They have clearly been trying to back track all the stuff they where told to do for ages and the guys in charge clearly don’t care enough about the issues vs meeting marketing’s mandates for features. It’s a total joke in that regard. And that leads to things not getting fixed in a timely manner.

15. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have an RVU Lg TV and it works great. I do have a question, I am going to upgrade to HR54 4K DVR soon. Should i stick with the RVU input or get a Clint to get the 4K channels.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you're going to get a new 2 year commitment I'd say get the C61K at the same time.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yea, that would best choice for now - any issue with it, ATT will oblige to fix FW or replace the c_lient_

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That issue is not fixed. I saw it during the Super Bowl and I do have the new NR. "Abysmal" is a good word to use in regard to what ATT laughingly would call quality control.

Rich