1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s-vhs or dvd+rw advice

Discussion in 'The OT' started by brmann, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brmann

brmann Legend

Apr 22, 2002
    Hi everyone,

I'm newly registered and if this is not the proper forumn for my question I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction.

I'm interested in buying a s-vhs recorder for archive of my Dish Network PVR recordings, and find myself totally confused by both the gimmicks and price range (jvc 7900 for $300, jvc 7890 for 175, something else for $550, etc).

I say s-vhs because I don't guess there are any dvd+rw's yet available at a reasonable price. Actually this is more of a question than a statement.

Can any of you make some suggestions? I'd like to keep the price under $300 or if possible, but would certainly consider something more expensive if it's features justified it.

Thank you,

Burt

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    JVC makes some very good S-VHS machines at just under $300 and cheaper. Most JVCs also have the added benefit that you can record in SVHS mode without using an SVHS tape. I would recomend the SVHS tape anyway. But if you're in a pinch you can still take advantage of the feature.

Another advantage to that brand is that they have a partnership with E*. They have JVC branded Dish receivers and they also made (still make?) a D-VHS unit with a 5000 receiver built in. What this boils down to is that there is a very high likelyhood that a JVC VCR will respond to a Dish Network remote and "blaster" from a Dish receiver with no problems.

Another good brand overall is Panasonic/Quasa (same thing).

Welcome to the forums. The moderators will move this thread to the proper forum if they see fit. :)

See ya
    Tony

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    This forum is just fine for posting something like this. Welcome!

I have a JVC SVHS VCR myself. It works great. If your budget allows, look for one with a built in time base corrector. Makes old tapes look wonderful and takes out much of the color distortion usually present in all analog VHS formats.

4. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    JVC 7800 model is pretty awesome and can be had for a song right now at crutchfield.com, a very reputable company. It is $199 on sale from $349. My guess is it is the end of the model.

5. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    2nd post ;-)

Did I mention it has most if not all of the abilities of the 7900. It is also S-VHS ET which allows you to use regular VHS tapes to record S-VHS. Cheap but not a great idea for movies you want for the long term.

6. jegrant

jegrant Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    It's too bad that they don't have a way of connecting an E* PVR to a JVC D-VHS VCR. Just to offload the bitstream to tape, with no quality loss. :D

BUT I don't think Hollywood would ever allow that. It'd be SUCH a cool hack though. I am sure there are those who would pay good money for the ability to essentially make "tape backups" of what is on their PVRs.

7. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    Since this is the SVHS thread, I have a question I'll ask here.

Does a SVHS machine play standard VHS tapes? The VCR I have now has SVHS quasi play back that allows it to play SVHS tapes but I'm wondering if the SVHS VCR plays regular tapes OK. Best Buy has a JVC SVHS for $130 and I'm considering getting one.

8. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Yes!!! SVHS machines play back regular VHS tapes.

9. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
  10. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks! You never know when you ask at some stores. I get the feeling sometimes they know less than I do. I've even had guys give me a line I knew was complete BS. :)

11. brmann

brmann Legend

Apr 22, 2002
    Thanks for all the advice. I finally broke down and went with the JVC 7800 from Crutchfield for 199.95. Even with shipping it only came to $210. The only thing it doesn't have that I would have liked would be the Commercial Skip, but it does have the 30 second forward skip.

I do have a related question however. What makes s-vhs tapes so expensive. Is it the actual process itself or simply that the demand is so low that economies of scale never surface?

Assuming I record using s-vhs, will I see a noticeable difference in PQ between LP and SP? Or even ET on regular vhs?

12. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The SVHS tapes are just super high quality tapes with a very dense oxide layer. Most of the reason for the expense is the economies of scale. But they have much lower drop-out rate and will "keep" much better than standard tapes. If you plan to just time shift, standard tapes in the ET mode (recording SVHS on a regular VHS tape) will do just fine. If you want to archive, use only SP and S-VHS.

I think that JVC dropped the LP speed for recording years ago. (or is that another brand I'm thinking of?) They still play back LP, but will not record it. The reason is that there is absolutely no PQ advantage over EP. There never was. There is a long involved technical explanation having to do with the old + head alignment versus the vurrent X head alignment. But that is another story.

EP does not archive well. SVHS EP looks okay but the color is not as good as SP. The picture is also grainier. At least in my ancent JVC unit. For perspective, when I bought it in '87 it sold for $1200. Still works though. :) And weighs a short ton!

See ya
    Tony

13. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    JVC's have never recorded at LP mode. It was a speed invented (using off sized 28 micron heads), by Panasonic,. to get RCA to use VHS over Beta. You might try using HG tapes for the ET mode. i've heard of some disatisfaction over standard taped in the SVHS ET mode.

14. brmann

brmann Legend

Apr 22, 2002
    What is HG type tape? Is there a real difference within type tape between the various brands? Lastly, where do you buy s-vhs tapes? Guess by my questions you can tell that I'm totally ignorant about tapes except maybe standard vhs.

Thanks for any and all advice

Burt

15. Martyva

Apr 23, 2002
    High Grade tapes are usually identified as HG or EHG. The back of most packages will list them as the next to the bottom tape in quality. The price on these tapes are 3 to 4 dollars at retail.

16. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
  17. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Never say never. I just checked my 1986 model S-VHS JVC branded VCR and it has an LP record mode. I know that they only had it to compete with the Beta II speed. Technically the speed sucked. I do have one tape that is 15 years old and recorded in EP. Looks pretty good on my 1985 Mitsubishi. It looks like crap on the JVC.

See ya
    Tony

18. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    TNGTony did an excellent job explaining the qualities of SVHS in his earlier post. The only think that I could add is that if your SVHS VCR has a built it Time Base Corrector (TBC), the color quality of EP recordings look MUCH better.

19. Martyva

Apr 23, 2002
    What was the model of that VCR?

20. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    HR-S8005U

See ya
    Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.