1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by saturk, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturk

saturk Cool Member

Feb 28, 2005
    this is probably a stupid question but - do installers hook up the sat box with a s-video cable or just a standard coax. Should i supply one myself?

2. uroberto

uroberto Cool Member

Dec 10, 2004
    The Dish boxes come with composite and coax. The installer can supply more coax as well. You need to supply S-video yourself.

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Al Dish receivers come with the s-video cable also.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Probably depends on your installer... Way back when I bought my 6000 receiver... the installer hooked up S-Video and Component... so I could switch back & forth if I wanted between HD and SD output to my TV. There have been times when the SD output is better on non-HD channels, so I was glad he thought to do that when he hooked it up... since I'm lazy sometimes.

5. new04quest

new04quest Legend

Jan 25, 2005
    I provided them with the monster s-video cable and monster RCA audio cables. The cables that come with the receiver are Walmart quality. If you are getting the HD receiver, I would recommend getting a better componnent video cables for it.

6. SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer Godfather

Feb 20, 2005
    Not all receivers come with S-Video cables.

7. hometheaterman

hometheaterman AllStar

Dec 2, 2003
    My opinion is that Monster Cables arnt much better just cost a whole lot more. I have several cables that are Monster branded cables and am not impressed when doing a side by side test I could barely tell a differnce if at all but they sure cost a lot more. They arnt bad cables just not an better than other cables and cost a whole lot more. Lots of people on the Home Theater forum I visit seem to prefer bluejeanscables.com or whatever it is they say they are better cables and a whole lote cheaper. I haven't tried those but I didn't find moster cables as good as they claim to be.

8. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    No longer true. The S-Video cable now comes only with receivers that have an RF remote. The cable is in the same bag as the remote antenna. Another example of truth being stranger than fiction.

9. uroberto

uroberto Cool Member

Dec 10, 2004
    I have a 301,311, 522 and they did not come with S-video cables.

10. Satpro92

Satpro92 Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    I always hook up any cables that are supplied(the s-video cables are not supplied with all receivers)if the customer can use them. I still hook up receivers to TVs that I have to use a 75 to 300 adapter :lol:

What gets me , these same customers want an HD receiver just because they can get one for the same install fee,that is until they understand the HD fee is $9.99 per month :nono2:

11. new04quest

new04quest Legend

Jan 25, 2005
    You are right. It doesn't sound a whole lot better than most of the cable on the market, but it does look a lot better than those skinny cable that come with the receiver. If you have an expensive system, you want it to sound good and look good as well.

12. saturk

saturk Cool Member

Feb 28, 2005
    thanks guys- pretty much all set up. They did have the s-video cable in the box- my next questions is -should the yellow video cable but hooked up along with the red and white audio and s-video or should i leave the yellow dangling with jus the s-video and white and red audio hooked up -does it interfer with the s-video connection if you have both the yellow cable hooked up and the s-video?

13. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    While it may not hurt on some devices, on other devices you may find that if both are hooked up, it confuses the display device. This may manifest as something like black and white video or other weird color artifacts. Hence, you may want to consider not using a yellow cable.

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The S-video cable IS your video cable. Leave the yellow composite video cable unplugged at both the sat receiver and your TV set. It serves no purpose to plug it in. Think of it like a spare tire.

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know how all devices work, but on some devices, I believe if you hook both the S-video cable AND the yellow video cable... the signal on the yellow cable will override (be used instead of) the S-video.

Your mileage may vary... but the easiest answer is almost always, if you aren't intending to use the signal on the cable don't plug it in :)

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Exactly. Our Dish receivers output on both at the same time, but your TV may have issues with that - my 27" Sony does, that's for sure.

17. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Not all new receivers come with the S-Video or even the RCA yellow/white/red cables. This would be the 111 receiver. It is the smallest they have ever made. It only takes the coax cable.

18. dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    Then your installer stole it, or you may have misplaced it, because every 522 I have seen comes WITH the S-Video cable.

19. uroberto

uroberto Cool Member

Dec 10, 2004
    I bought the 522 from Ebay brand new and the box had never been opened. Again, It only had coax and composite cables.

20. JonBlack

JonBlack Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    My 522 and 322 didn't come with S-video cables and I watched the installer open up everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.