S503 for Hopper w/ Sling

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by FarmerBob, May 31, 2014.

1. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Got S503 last night. Not sure what it's suppose to do, but the IU changes that were made I'm not impressed with. That's about all we've had time to experience.

More later as it happens.

2. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    I read it was to fix ATSC that was a bug in 502

3. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I came up from S342, quite a jump. With that large of a rev jump, I am expecting Unicorns and Rainbow to shoot out the backside. Poor Sustaining Engineering, the paperwork that must still be or have needed to be done.

Still hate the EPG. You'd think that with all that one can do with CC that they let you do something with the EPG?!
    And the "page header" that you get when you land on a program. The small text has gotten darker.
    And while on the topic of darker, the picture seems a bit cleaner, but darker on all sets.
    Love that they incorporated real world episode labeling. But still don't have it right and that won't happen until they get rid of Tribune. Last night on Grandma's HwS she was trying to figure out what episodes of "Falling Skies" that she had watched, since the "percent viewed thermometer" still doesn't work, and the episode labeling was nutz.
    S3, Ep4
    S3, Ep5
    Ep 37
    S3, Ep6
    Ep 40 . . . WHAT?!
    I still go by the dates "originally aired" (only if in the US) and recorded. Maybe someday they'll get that fixed. Haven't seen this problem with DTV. OH AND, OnDemand listings can be anything. So you have to figure out what you have off air (sky), then how that matched up with what's listed in the OnDemand areas. These days I spend more time dinking and decrypting this machine than watching things.

Anyway glad that we finally got the update. Time to observe.

4. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    It a common problem with Tribune Media strikes again in there MAJOR GOOF UP that they never fixs.

5. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    IMDB.com is my friend. Especially for programming that's from offshore. That the StryFry channel likes to call "original". Since it hasn't aired in the UK or etc. in over a year. We use IMDB a lot for history or just to ease the confusion and figure it out. My main guide it TItanTV.com. They're about 98% accurate.

6. Bookworm370

Bookworm370 New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    I'm not sure where you guys are looking for but my Hopper with Sling shows Software version S503 updated 5/31/14....

Are you sure you are talking about the Hopper with Sling? I'm looking at the System Info page right now as I type this. Or is this an old thread?

Moderator note: This post references a previous thread from which this thread was split: http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/211408-s342-for-hws-in-the-wild-anyone/

7. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    Yes there a new ver out it was report on Dish Support Forum

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea

wouldn't reading the thread, especially post#1 [now], will tell you ? and, what was your point ?

9. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Was talking about the original thread that this was spun off of. >>> It is an old thread that no one really jumped on. Then the word got out that new releases were on their way and I just added to this instead of starting a new thread. No one here is really talking about the updates here. SatGuys has nice coverage.

So from what I saw posted S342 was announced on SatGuys on March 28th. Then 347 due out on the 9th of May, but I never got that one either. Then 502 was announced, which was quickly followed by 503 that was released on the 15th I think it was. I didn't get it until the other night. So it looks like I'm about 15 days out from initial release. So when one gets it it's not always when it's first released. They tend to have a roll out schedule and I'm on the end of it.

I'm still gathering notes. But one thing though, the picture seems a bit crisper, darker and no banding and less electronic edging. So far.
    The EPG still sucks, and the new episode labeling and program info is a mess.
    The page info header is darker and the small type is too. So much so that it's even harder to read now.

Thanks for the spin off. Wasn't sure what to do since there has been little activity in this forum.