Sadly heading to cable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by blazewon, May 2, 2009.

1. May 2, 2009 #1 of 43
    blazewon

blazewon New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Long time lookie loo here since moving over from DTivos. Just found out that at my new house now that the trees have filled in at the National Park behind me I cannot get a good DTV signals particularly for HDTV and locals.

2 Installers (contractors) have told me they cant do it without breaking my HOA covenant (No dishes on the front of house) and the 1 DTV installer who said he could has not shown back up in 3 days and now does not return my calls.

Alas after 10 years of Sunday Ticket and finally getting all my TV's upgraded to HDTV I have to switch to Comcast.

So long everyone... ARRGH!

2. May 2, 2009 #2 of 43
    braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Sorry to hear that.

From what I understand you'll be able to subscribe to NFLST over the internet since you cannot receive DIRECTV.

3. May 2, 2009 #3 of 43
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Call the local HSP office ( most likely Ironwood ) and ask for a second opinion / tech sup to come out to verify LOS.

4. May 2, 2009 #4 of 43
    rbean

rbean Legend

Jan 11, 2007
    By no means an expert but I am a past president of a HOA BoD and I don't believe you can be prevented from putting up a sat. dish 1 meter or less in the front of your home if that is the line of site needed to receive a signal.
    47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 from the FCC covers this, but like I said I'm not an expert.

5. May 2, 2009 #5 of 43
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Actually the HOA cannot prevent you from putting up a dish, even if it's in the front of the house. It's against the FCC OTARD rules for them to do so and against the law.

Now they can tell you were to put it (like their rule against the front year) BUT if the front yard is really the only place you can get a signal, then they CANNOT prevent you from putting up your dish there. The DirecTV installer can certify that is the only location then the HOA cannot stop it. But you may be in for a fight. Give them copies of the FCC regs and offer to do things like plant bushes around it so that's it's mostly hidden, things like that. But they can't stop you.

6. May 2, 2009 #6 of 43
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    HOAs should be banned they are contrary to private property rights.

7. May 2, 2009 #7 of 43
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    You can negotiate them out for a small fee (small being relative), sometimes. Otherwise you should seek other residence where you can do whatever you wish without any deed restrictions or HOAs at all.

8. May 2, 2009 #8 of 43
    tworivers1

tworivers1 Cool Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I'd Move. Just sayin,:) lol

9. May 2, 2009 #9 of 43
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't have any problem with HOA's. I've lived in communities with and without and prefer having an HOA. On the whole, and I realize there are exceptions, the HOA really means to preserve the quality of the community and, in turn, the value of my home. It's my choice and, living in an HOA community now, I freely and knowingly made that choice. I guess I get a bit confused by folks who buy a house in an HOA controlled community and then all of a sudden have issues with there being an HOA. Don't do it if you're not willing to participate and let the HOA do its job.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
  11. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Actually, the're not contrary at all. They are merely an extension of them for a smaller "opt-in" group. You would be hard pressed to find a municipality that doesn't have codes regarding property maintenance and appearances, especially in the public facing areas. I do not live in an area governed by an HOA, but there are many things that I am not permitted to do with MY property. These things have to do with the "rights" of the other property owners, whom by definition in the US Consitution, my actions may not infringe upon...

As others have stated, the OP can contest the ruling and likely win. But that will likely leave them in a very bad standing within the HOA, especially with the "controlling" members, and could cause more headaches later on.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Send a copy of the OTARD to the HOA as Scott suggested.
    Here's the link.
    http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
    This page is also of interest.
    http://www.fcc.gov/mb/shva/shviafac.html

The fake rock is also a good option. However, not cheap.

The HOA may not like a large rock in the front yard either.

To contest the HOA, you could join the board.

To the OP, don't give up so easily. Please report your results.

13. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    How does that fake rock not get in the way of signal?

14. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I don't know why HOA's keep placing that sort of restriction in covenants when they know they can't do that.

15. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Chris - Our HOA, in San Antonio by the way, does restrict where dishes can be placed...in a way. What they ask, which I think is reasonable, is that the homeowner try to place the dish out of sight consistent with LOS issues and expense. I find that perfectly acceptable.

16. blazewon

blazewon New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Guys this has been some valuable information. I have a call into the HOA Architectual committee chair today. Also I'm waiting for the installer to come back so he can tell me exactly where it needs to go. The fake rock thing is pretty cool! A little pricey but saves me a lot of headaches. I know i can always use the FCC rule on them but would hate to start a war after living here only 2 months. Just wish the clowns who put it up originally would have double checked the LOS.

Bottom line is after looking at 75 houses this is the one the wife liked and as we know happy wife = happy life. I'm fine with an HOA as its been said in the discussion its my choice.

Weather's bad today so I may not get the installer out. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!

17. blazewon

blazewon New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    In this market I'll be lucky if I can sell this house for at least 5 years.

18. blazewon

blazewon New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    First link is to a watch site. Can you repost?

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Here ya go: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Second paragraph is the key part:

Basically the HOA can restrict where you can put the dish, which I personally have no problem with. BUT, if you have no choice and it must go where they restrict it, they cannot stop it.

Again, I'd simply ask the HOA about it, sounds like you haven't yet. I wouldn't go in guns a blazing until they tell you no. Then you can bring up the FCC rules and try to nicely work out a deal.

As for happy wife...I hear ya. However my wife isn't happy if the satellite isn't working. ;) No LOS on the property, no deal.

Good luck.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    useing comcarp cable do the same as well.