Sadly, I am saying good bye to DirecTV after 14 years

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Strejcek, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 #1 of 74
    Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    It's not that I really wanted to, but like everything else lately, it has come down to a matter of finances and more "bang for the buck." I was the first person in my city to get FIOS installed and I only went with the phone and internet at that time. There was nothing more that FIOS offered, at that time, that DirecTV did not offer, so I stayed with DirecTV. Another reason I stayed with DirecTV, the CE program here was really kicking off into full swing and I was very pleased to be a participant and enjoyed being one of the first people in the nation to test the 5 channel SWM.

I recently downgraded my programming package with DirecTV because it just got too expensive; that coupled with the DVR fees, the extra fees for Smithsonian TV, MGM, Universal, etc, the future fee for multi-room viewing, it was just getting to be too much. I remember a day, not too long ago, where you could get every channel DirecTV offered for less than $80 a month. Unfortunately I understand that the rates need to go up because DirecTV has an overhead that most other cable companies do not; satellites, their maintenance, and their launch.

Last Thursday, I pulled the trigger and had FIOS TV installed. I went ahead and purchased two Tivo premiere DVRs, one of those an XL, because of all the negative press Verizon's DVRs received. I am very pleased I went with the Tivo boxes; you don't realize how much you actually miss Tivo until you get reacquainted with it.

The FIOS picture is out of this world; the SD picture is DVD quality and the HD picture is mind blowing, far superior to DirecTV in every way. I would have never thought that until I compared the two. Watching V in HD on DirecTV vs watching V in HD on FIOS, all I can say is the DirecTV picture looked soft and blurry compared to FIOS, and yes both boxes were hooked up to my TV using HDMI. Not only is the picture better, but I'm getting almost 30 more channels, most of those HD, for less money. Where I was spending $185 for phone, internet, and DirecTV, I'll now be spending right around $150, a price locked in for two years. That sure makes budgeting more simple.

If the new DirecTivo box is anything like the premiere boxes, all I can say is you guys are in for a real treat, especially if the HD menus all get implemented and the bugs worked out. The HD GUI is beautiful and I cannot wait until Tivo gets all of the menus in HD.

To all of my friends here on DBS Talk, I would like to say that, although I will no longer be a DirecTV customer, I will still be around *slap* HDTVSportsfan. I would like to especially thank Earl Bonovich, Doug Brott, Tom Robertson, and all of the other moderators, and CE echelons that have worked tirelessly here on the forum helping to make the DirecTV products as good as they are. Earl and Doug, thank you for allowing me to beta test the SWM and the Linksys WET610n. Boy it sure is going to be weird not staying up till midnight on a weekend night to download a CE release; I'm going to miss it.

No go and watch some TV! Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, "Feel the Heat Rays!"

2. May 9, 2010 #2 of 74
    afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    Sorry to see you go.

3. May 9, 2010 #3 of 74
    Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    I'll still be lurking :D I'm not that easy to get rid of :lol:

4. May 9, 2010 #4 of 74
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Good luck man! It's only TV, after all... I'd do the same if FIOS was available and presented a compelling cost savings.

5. May 9, 2010 #5 of 74
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    more money for donuts now :p

6. May 9, 2010 #6 of 74
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    :lol: You beat me to it. I figured the increased costs cut into his donut budget.

Sorry to see ya go buddy. Make sure you stop by every now and again, especially in chat so I can /kick your butt out. :)

7. May 9, 2010 #7 of 74
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    There are those you don't notice when the leave.
    There are those you are happy that they leave.
    And then, there are those who you hate to see leave, but can understand the decision.
    Strejack, you are in that last group. Times are tough, you have to make decisions. I hope it turns out the best for you. Besides, it's not like you won't be back from time to time.

Oh, and what are these "rays" you speak of? :rolleyes:

8. May 9, 2010 #8 of 74
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Lots of luck Im glad you will still lurk at DBSTalk

9. May 9, 2010 #9 of 74
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    The ones that the Yankees will soon be overtaking and not looking back. :D

10. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Makes sense. Unfortunately, living in an AT&T service area, FIOS is not an option. uServe will be rolling out soon and, after 11 years, my DirecTv days are numbered.

11. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Cost of Tivo Premiere & Premiere XL = $798

$12.95/box service = $621.60

total = $1419.60

$35 service savings over two years = $840.00

Over two years, you'll be spending $579.60 MORE (or $24.15/month...roughly the price of the TiVo service) than had you stayed with DirecTV. How is that a savings?

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry to see you go, but understand. Unfortunately we don't have Fios or Uverse available here, and probably never will, so D* it is.

Good luck.

13. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I also finally left directv after 16 years for verizon fios what they say about fios tv is true! i was blown away by the quality of the HD on channels like FX,TNT,,HGTV,etc.etc,. I will be buying 2 tivo premieres soon one will be the tivo xl for the living room (150 hours of HD recording space!). the only drawback to the verizon box is recording space(i keep losing movies i recorded) also i no longer have the audio dropouts that i had with D* the past year or so. other than that the directv dvr is much easier to use than the fios dvr.I"m still kind of in shock that i left D* the main reason i left was for verizons picture quality ,lower price and mostly to get TIVO again.:grin:

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, I was about to post the same thing.

Additionally, I've been comparing FIOS' picture quality to D*'s for several years now (at least weekly) and I just don't see that difference. I saw a difference a few years ago, but not since D* went to MPEG4.

But as long as the OP thinks he's saving money and getting a better picture, and is happy, that's all that matters.

15. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    You were always one of my favorites in the chat room. Live long and prosper :)

16. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Good luck, and enjoy your FiOS, "the only true alternative to DirecTV" ;)

17. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    It's that much more?

18. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    Strejcek, no worries its only TV. take care buddy and i'll see ya in chat some time. :)

19. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Makes sense. Fios doesn't re-compress, DirecTV has to since they use MPEG-4. I've always wondered how they can offer such cheap bundles, it makes me envious of areas that have Fios. Their amortized cost per sub of fiber is a heck of a lot higher than DirecTV's satellites, but they can offer triple-play. U-Verse on the other hand, it's pretty bad.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    u-verse line up sucks as you need U-300 + sports pack to get the same stuff as directv choice xtra.

U-300 does have the full Stars + showtime as part of it's price.

U-200 You do not have to have the movies pack but is missing a few non movie channels that U-300 has.

So U-300 $82.00/mo + 10 HD + 10 sports = $102 + $7 per tv -7 tv one.

VS about $63.99 + 20 for HD + DVR + MVR = $84 + $5 per tv - $5 tv 1.

U-200 does not have
    CBS College Sports Network HD - need U-450 or sports
    Fox Business Network HD
    Hallmark Movie Channel HD
    Investigation Discovery HD
    ION Life
    NASA TV
    NHL Network HD - need U-450 or sports
    Outdoor Channel HD - need U-450 or sports
    PBS Kids Sprout
    Planet Green HD
    qubo
    TVG Network - need U-450 or sports
    VH1 Soul

Why do you need to BUY STARS and SHOWTIME to get so many non movie channels?

ALSO NO MLB NETWORK AT ALL!