1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salvaging recordings from 622

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by squeaky367, Jan 9, 2008.

1. squeaky367

squeaky367 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Just signed up. Need advice. Having same problems with black screen and HD recycling as others. Getting another 622 from DISH. Is there a way to salvage some or all of my recordings using my laptop??

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    No, not using a laptop. The only way to save the recordings on your receiver is to use an External HDD. It costs a one time fee of $40 to enable the feature for your account. Then you can attach an EHD to the USB port on your receiver and you can store recordings on the EHD and also playback the recordings directly from the EHD. You pick the size (up to 750gig) and number of EHDs you want to use to store recordings so you basically have unlimited storage.

When you get a new receiver you can copy the recordings back to the new receiver, or just leave them on the EHD. Currently you can swap an EHD to a different receiver only three times before it has to be reformatted.

3. squeaky367

squeaky367 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Does the EHD have to have a power supply or is it powered through the DVR?

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    External power.

Just bought a second WD 750 MyBook Essential from Amazon today at a discount.

5. squeaky367

squeaky367 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Is there any way to record from the DVR to a VHS/DVD recorder/player?

6. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Sure. Playback a recorded program and record it on the VHS/DVD real time just like you would with any other live recording. The new recording won't be HD of course.

7. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007

I have a replacement 622 on the way and I'm in the process of copying some stuff using a Hauppage DVR and my laptop. The only drawback is that my HD recordings won't be HD.