Same old same old

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JeffBowser, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1 of 55
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Had to chat with DirecTV support last weekend, both my DVRs HDDs failing. One with 3 lights in the ring, and hard code error message. The other with similar symptoms, but not totally failing yet. HR21 and HR23. So I was expecting two DVR's, only one shows, and DirecTV claims ZERO record of my weekend conversation. After supplying them the transcript, a second DVR is belatedly on the way.

So, replacement DVR number one installs, and works. Except.... it reboots itself every so often, for no apparent reason, with no error messages. It's an HR23. So in this room, over the last few years, I have had one HR2x replaced with another used HR2x for bad power supply. That one replaced with another used HR2x for a bad HDD, and now this used HR2x exhibiting weird symptoms. I swear, these people can't get out of their own way for nothing.

So this message is both venting a complaint over a lousy experience, as well as a question - what on earth would make a DVR summarily reboot itself at random times? Every time it does so, it also shows a screen saying "downloading additional software" that stays up for about 5-10 mins.

2. Oct 2, 2014 #2 of 55
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Jeff-

How often is this happening? If it's quite frequent, it says to me the original download of updated OS has an error, and that's why the additional software isn't completing.
    Is the Guide complete out a week or more?

3. Oct 2, 2014 #3 of 55
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    you may have a bad cable. If possible I'd replace the run. That can cause all kinds of weird issues.

But that's really a wild guess. I'm assuming other units are working fine.

A also wonder if you have an electrical issue or something.

4. Oct 2, 2014 #4 of 55
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like a candidate for the search for CLEARMYBOX and then choose Keyword and let it do it's thing.
    You should not lose any settings or recordings.
    It will take at least 48 hours for it to fill out the Guide and all the graphics.

5. Oct 2, 2014 #5 of 55
    HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Was just thinking it could be as simple as a loose or defective power cord.

In my youth I was always offended by manufacturer's troubleshooting guides that began with "1. Is the unit plugged in"

Not so much any more.

6. Oct 2, 2014 #6 of 55
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the DVR is trying to look for new firmware where there is none. Perhaps you can try to monitor the firmware site and force a download once it on the stream

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

7. Oct 2, 2014 #7 of 55
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Not counting the initial firmware download to current, I have caught it rebooting 4 times in less than 24 hours. I can eliminate cable and power cord issues, both because they have been checked, and because the old unit had no such issues. As for electrical, it's all on a 1500wAPC, steady as she goes.

Guide data, as of bedtime last night, had not gone out past a few hours. I'll give it another 24 to stabilize before I try other suggestions. Thanks folks.

8. Oct 2, 2014 #8 of 55
    Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    What software version do you have?

And if Guide is stuck still a double re-set within 30 minutes will flush what's there and hopefully that will do it. CLEARMYBOX does that and we don't know what else it may do. Either should help, though.

9. Oct 2, 2014 #9 of 55
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Haha! I love your sig. How many stupid questions did that take before you posted that?

Anyway, as for the exact version number, I'd have to go back home. I'll keep this thread updated as to what happens. When I went home for lunch today, it had not rebooted since 7:30AM, so that's a good sign I think. I didn't check the guide, but I did note that there had been no firmware updates since installing it yesterday around 1PM

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    OK, standing by for an update!

My handle caused one guy to link it to a certain OTC palliative for digestion backups....

11. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    OTC palliative :rolling:

No further reboots, so my post was too hasty. Must have been hung up on a repeated, or failed update, or some anomaly in the stream. Additionally, my second DVR is sitting on my doorstep as I type. God willing, it's an HR24, but I'll refrain from holding my breath.

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    OK, glad part of it is fixed. My DVRs are now going into overdrive, with all four MLB playoff games- two for me, three for GF (we'll both watch Los Gigantes.)

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't answer that question technically, but I can tell you that 23 will never get better. Once they start they never stop. I've had it happen to me several times and the only solution seems to be a replacement.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    First time it happened to me I tried all that and more. I didn't feel like digging out the 2TB HDD I had installed in the 20-700 and I really tried to fix it. I finally gave up. Nothing I did changed it. Put the new 24 I got as a replacement on the same cables and it hasn't rebooted randomly once. Sometimes there's just no fixing these things.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have a pretty good idea what else it can do. I finally got my MRV system straightened out after using it on four or five HRs that had no problems, I just wanted to try it and see what would happen. I wasn't happy about what happened and will never use it again.

Boy, I really screwed this post up! Sorry.

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]Rich[/SIZE]

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It wasn't just one guy. Let's not get going on that one again. :rolling:

Rich

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's not uncommon for the STBs to reboot a few times within the first 24 - 36 hours.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't understand that. Did you mean after their installation?

Rich

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    My experience would say, Yes, often after installation, as that's when almost always a software update happens. But it can happen after any push (or pull!). Or with a circuit malfunction.

20. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    And here I thought you were a frequent flier in Southern California.