Samsung NU8000 75" TV

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by the2130, Dec 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I'm looking for a 75" 4K TV to replace the 46" Samsung HDTV in my living room. My current TV still works great, but I do most of my TV-watching from about 19" away, at the kitchen table, so it would be nice to have a bigger screen. I'm willing to spend about $2000. I've been posting about this in another thread, but someone keeps pointing out that the thread title says OLED, so I'm starting a new thread here. The OLED sets are a lot more expensive than what I'm looking for, so I'm not considering them at this time.

Anyway, I was looking at some sets at Best Buy today, and here's one that sells for $1999 and looked pretty good:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6208235.p?skuId=6208235

I'm willing to consider adding a sound bar, but one feature that is essential for me is Bluetooth to connect my hearing aids to the sound outputs. I think this model has Bluetooth, but I'm going to have to do some additional research on it. Picture quality looked really good even when watching from an angle. I would appreciate any input on this set or any comparable models.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  3. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks for the link to the review. It's pretty detailed. The only thing that puzzles me is the part about viewing from an angle. I didn't see any noticeable difference in the store when viewing from an angle.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My 46" Samsung 1080p TV's picture was very noticeably degraded from a slight angle. My 55" Samsung 4k KU7000 does not. There is no problem sitting at an angle with it.
    I went to the Samsung site, looked at all the specs and read all the reviews. Nothing at all on viewing angle.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would think this TV will be on sale again between now and when the Super Bowl airs.

Rich likes this.
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    they are purposely omitting the parameter - WHO will measure the angle at home?
    in store it would be hard to do...
    so … customer will buy the TVs without "unnecessary" concerning about the angles

7. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I did view it from different angles in the store, as well as straight on. I really didn't see any difference from an angle, but maybe I need to take another look.

8. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I'm not in any hurry, so I can wait and see if the price comes down. And it's always possible I'll see something I like better.

The sales person in the store wasn't much help. She claimed the remote cor the display models couldn't be used to access the menus, so I wasn't able to test the Bluetooth. She also seemed intent on steering toward Sony TVs, which I really don't want. Sony has a history of building extra copy protection into their hardware. I prefer buying a TV made by a company that doesn't produce content.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    How much of an angle will you be while sitting in the Kitchen ? I would not think it severe at 19 feet away.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this in the User Manual:
    Settings General Accessibility Multi-output Audio You can turn on both the TV speaker and Bluetooth devices at the same time. When this function is active, you can set the volume of the Bluetooth devices higher than the volume of the TV speaker. " This function may not be supported depending on the model or geographical area. " When you connect Bluetooth devices to the TV, Multi-output Audio is activated. For more information about connecting Bluetooth devices to the TV, refer to "Listening to the TV through Bluetooth devices."

Link to Manual:
    75" Class NU8000 Premium Smart 4K UHD TV (UN75NU8000FXZA)

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't worry about that. I have two 8000s and I have no issues with viewing angles.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 8000s have BT. The 8000s have terrible sound systems. Any sound bar will be an upgrade. If you can find an 8500 you might want to consider that. Still has shabby sound but better specs. And I think the 8500s have a One Connect Box. That's one thing this year's 8000s are missing.

Rich

the2130 likes this.
  13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One of the reasons I bought so many plasmas was the viewing angle thing. Every LCD I looked at had that problem. The plasmas didn't. The 4K sets I've tried didn't have the viewing angle problem either. Somehow the 4K sets seem to have bypassed that problem.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The review sites are much pickier in what they consider an issue to consider. Even my curved 65” Samsung isn’t all that bad off center unless I’m well off center. My flat Sony and previous Sharp were/are just fine from anywhere I would watch them from.

For the OP just look at the sets in the store from the angles you would at home. If you like it then who cares what the “ex spurts” have to say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

the2130 and jimmie57 like this.
  15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I almost bought a curved screen NU8500 the other day. How do you like the curved screen? I know they're fine for one viewer but the wife and I sit in that room in such a way that I don't think it would work well for us.

Looking at TV sets in stores has never worked out well for me. I'd much rather buy the sets at a place like Costco and get the 90 days to assess the sets. I know that can be a PITA if you have to return it but it's nowhere as bad as buying at Best Buy and having to return it or keeping it and hating it. When I was searching for my first 4K set I went thru several sets before settling on the JS8500. Now we know so much about the 4K sets we can make recommendations, wasn't like that in 2015/16. Back then 4K was kind of a joke...

Rich

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think the terms most often used about the 4k TVs was "It is a FAD like 3D and it will go away soon".

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Some "FAD", huh? Next up 8K sets, can't wait for that. At least we know what to expect...better PQ.

Rich

18. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    My set has all three fads!

(UHD, 3D and a curved screen.)

jimmie57 likes this.
  19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got anything bad to say about the curved screen? That JS8500...I almost pulled the trigger on that.

Rich

20. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    For your price range, I would definitely consider a TCL 75" 4K TV I have a 55" and 65" in my man cave and for the money they are excellent. They have Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and have Roku built in. I use them mostly for sports and they do the job well. Are they as good as an OLED ? No, but in your price range, they more than fit the bill.

Here is a review: TCL 75C807